Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toerag - what's the origin?

Options
  • 07-03-2007 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

I've not done any research into this but what is the origin of the word 'toerag'?

It seems to my mind/imagination that [pure speculation]it could be a reference to the financially impoverished. I imagine that these people had no shoes and that their socks were mere rags or full of holes and through which their toes could be seen, hence toerag[/pure speculation]

Is that in any way right? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Etymology: 19c: originally meaning ‘beggar', from the rags wrapped around beggars' feet and worn inside the shoes in place of socks.

I was bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Wow, not bad on my part, almost there :) /slaps self on back :D

Thanks petes, I was thinking 19c when I was writing the post. I'm a Dickens fan.

I would imagine that even then the term was a derogatory one? In Dickens' work he often highlights the social unfairness of the upper classes towards those in lower classes and 'toerag' seems like something that may have always been derogatory and perhaps first conceived as an abusive term. Anyone have any more info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

r3nu4l wrote:
    I would imagine that even then the term was a derogatory one?
    It identifies them by a feature that is an indicator of their poverty.

Indirect identifiers such as these are rarely neutral, and since poverty is something rarely looked up to (with some religion-based exceptions) it was probably always derogatory as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Talliesin wrote:
    Indirect identifiers such as these are rarely neutral, and since poverty is something rarely looked up to (with some religion-based exceptions) it was probably always derogatory as you say.

The cruelty of man and all that :) Thanks guys!

Advertisement