Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

new car check site.

Options
  • 07-03-2007 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭

Website to allow used car buyers to check history

The Irish Examiner 07/03/07

MOTORISTS can be assured of greater security when buying used cars in future — courtesy of a new online check system devised by car dealers. The Society of the Irish Motor Industry claims the development of the new website will dramatically reduce the risk of motorists buying stolen, damaged, hired or "clocked" cars and even vehicles that were written off.

Although primarily designed for use by professional dealers, the website (www.carhistorycheck.ie) will also offer a greater piece of mind for consumers.

The car history check website will be formally launched by Transport Minister Martin Cullen later today.

Using data from a number of sources in Ireland, and other countries from which used vehicles are imported, the website will allow a vehicle's history to be checked based solely on its registration number.

It will provide information cross-referenced from various sources including financial institutions, third party valuations and the national car test (NCT) along with other data on mileage, based on a vehicle's previous service history.

SIMI president Jim Cusack advised customers to look for a new 'car history check' certificate issued by all of the organisation's registered car dealers.

It will provide buyers of used vehicles with data on its outstanding finance, the number of previous owners, NCT results and mileage.

Information on any vehicle registered in Ireland or Britain can be accessed.on its outstanding finance, the number of previous owners, NCT results and mileage.

Information on any vehicle registered in Ireland or Britain can be accessed. Motorists can also discover if the car was imported Mr Cusack claimed "clocking" — the illegal alteration of a car's odometer (kilometre counter) — was a major issue for consumers in Ireland who were concerned about the risk of buying such vehicles. He explained that the car history check would allow the SIMI to build up, over time, an accurate database on a vehicle's mileage.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A good idea.

Like Cartell.ie there is no warranty against incorrect information leading to a loss, despite a fee being charged.

For a UK or NI import I suggest a HPI check is still a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

from the FAQ section of that website:

"Is this service available to the public?
    No, at this time the service will be available to professional businesses only."

not very good if the public can't get info, would you trust a dealers print out from this website?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It doesn't seem to offer anything that cartell doesn't also supply. I don't know what "Full Technical Data" means though - is it anything that isn't on the tax cert?

I bought a three star cartell report for my car, and it isn't bad - though certainly no replacement for a proper mechanical inspection.

Edit:
    He explained that the car history check would allow the SIMI to build up, over time, an accurate database on a vehicle's mileage.

If SIMI garages could update the cars details with service / repair information it may provide a much better insight into the car.

At the moment, the NCT certs gives you a 2 year window to check for mileage, so you can already get a reasonable idea if the car has been clocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Not much good to the private buyer really where the risk is far greater.

Imo I think something similar needs to be set up and run independantly, to benefit everyone rather than just a SIMI developed site geared towards SIMI members. Granted it should make buying a car from a SIMI dealer that bit safer which is a good thing.

The HPI check in the UK is a very comprehensive service indeed. I think this is what is really needed over here.

Advertisement