Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trocaire TV and Radio Ad

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,759 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You could try www.dictionary.com for a definition of the two highlighted words if you like?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Less of the handbags, thanks ladies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Seriously that statement is crazy. It means nothing. Something like "Aid is bad if and only if an a portion in excess of 50% of unquantified amount does not get to a vague, undefinted set of people".

Wow, great argument there. Seriously, have you *any* evidence to back your crazy statements up?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

When I first heard this add I think it was on in the background while I was on the computer. The impression I got from it was that what it said was something like:

"these babies could develop malaria, aids, cancer, etc, because they are female"

after listening to it again carefully (thanks r3nu4l) I realise my mistake, but I wonder did anyone else misinterpret the message?

obviously I thought it was a bit crazy to suggest that female babies could get aids but male babies couldn't.

as it stands, I think it is a bit unfair to disregard male children, but I suppose so too is it unfair to disregard the poor people in Bolivia because a charity knows that people will give more money to the Sudan. i suppose they can't help everybody, but helping all females is a big task

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Who complained about the ad? Someone from a country where they treat women as second-class citizens?

I don't see anything wrong with the ad. That in some countries women and girls are treated appallingly because of their gender is beyond doubt. That's not to say that males don't also get a raw deal but that's not what this ad campaign's about.

Trocaire highlights a different cause each year. I've memories of them doing one about children doing dangerous jobs like working on coffee plantations in recent times. They might have also done one on child soldiers but I'm open to correction on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Dontico wrote:
    the 20th centuary saw equality for women. hopefully the 21st will see equality for men.

Diddums

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Less than helpful, luckat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭banaman

seamus wrote:
    Women are treated as equals in this country.

Yeah right! Thats why they get paid less than men. Thats why we have gender imbalances in any industry boardroom you care to mention. Thats why more women are at risk of poverty. Thats why their social welfare entitlements are likely to be as dependents on men etc etc etc.

Thats why rapists walk free, why very few convictions for domestic violence succeed and we have such a good record on sex-trafficking.

Get real. The constitution of this country places women in a subordinate position and the their position in society reflects this.

Advertisement