Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

www.boards.ie is worth $100,000,000 apparently

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

$41,005,000

Huzzah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Mine is worth all of $8,001

I will accept what any loose change you have in your pocket. And yes, ill be taking the pocket lint too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

It's a random number generator right? With a bit pagerank thrown in for good measure ;)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

First one up with 20M gets it, Vexorg = Rip Off Ireland!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Of course that's just for one part of the boards empire...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

How does this affect the moderators share prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭warrenaldo

you would think with that kinda figure they would pump a bit of money in to SPEED UP THE SITE

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Slow for you today then is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Beruthiel wrote:
    Due to unforeseen circumstances, you've just become my new best friend Asiaprod, congrats! :D
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

RuggieBear wrote:
    Where's netwhizzkid? he's probably the only user on boards.ie that can afford it....

I valued this site almost two years ago and put a fiqure of €250million on it

see here
    The value would then take a similar turn to the '87 crash.
    stock-market-crash-1987.GIF

Lol, if you happened to know how I have invested you would reverse that chart alot. If any one is considering selling a percentage of boards.ie I would be happy to invest, with the goodwill of my investment adviser of course. I predicted a rise like this would happen and I can see boards.ie increasing in value at about 5 - 7% per annum especially as the proliferation of broadband to the masses increases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

netwhizkid wrote:
    I valued this site almost two years ago and put a fiqure of €250million on it
    Lol, so five times as much as myhome.ie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

netwhizkid wrote:
    I predicted a rise like this would happen
    A rise like what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Talliesin wrote:
    A rise like what?
    He appears to be taking this as actual financially sound data, thus backing up my chart nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

wetpizzkid's gonna be a billionaire some day.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

A fansite I started 10 years ago is worth $832, although no longer updated by myself the domain is still mine :)

My personal site is worth $152

and cabaal.org is worth $598

Not bad overall :D:D

He appears to be taking this as actual financially sound data, thus backing up my chart nicely.
    What can I say, but "lollers".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

The estimated value of http://bassilisk.com is: $5,335
    go me!:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The estimated value of http://wikipedia.org is: $2,159,696,000 as a finance site.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Ooh $1,030 for my site. Not bad at all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Douglas adams devised the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy as a joke, not serious SciFi. However while Wikipeadians may think they are making the "Encyclopedia Galactica" (Asimov), they have in fact created the rather unreliable Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,991 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ha!

The estimated value of http://www.rte.ie is: $2,585,000

The estimated value of http://www.tv3.ie is: $1,000

I'm not sure what this tells us, but it does tell us something...

Checked my buddy's bebo page as well, she should sell, seemingly its worth $12,765,000...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

The estimated value of http://www.ibm.com is: $33,825,000

My bebo page is:This is a high traffic site. Probably between 10,000 and 100,000 visits per day.
    They are definetely picking numbers out of the air!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

mcgovern wrote:
    My bebo page is:This is a high traffic site. Probably between 10,000 and 100,000 visits per day.
    They are definetely picking numbers out of the air!
    Thats for the whole of bebo.com.

So apparently boards is worth 8 times what bebo is :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Wikipedia is prone to biased or incorrect info but to be fair to them they are corrected far quicker then any other encyclopedia could.

Its curious property of Boards.ie that 0% of the shares of the company would be worth $0, from there, as the % rose the value would build until reaching a climax somewhere about 60%. After that the value of the shares would FALL until ultimately 100% would in fact be worth very little. No admins? No experience in running the show? Would the moderators stay with a new owner... presumably one who is going to want to make his money back?

Boards could be invested in perhaps (thats a big "perhaps"...), but bought out? Hard to see how that could work.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Woo me blog is worth $920. *posts on adverts*

watty wrote:
    However while Wikipeadians may think they are making the "Encyclopedia Galactica" (Asimov), they have in fact created the rather unreliable Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
    The relatively static features of Wikipedia (that is, what remains for a while, rather than the Spam and wiki-wars) compares very well with the likes of Worldbook and Encyclopædia Brittania. Indeed there are cases in those that are analogous to wiki-wars, they just take decades rather than weeks due to the nature of the medium (the articles on the topic of Witchcraft are a case in point, compress the last century's articles into a week and you have a Wiki-war on the Murray hypothesis).
    Encyclopædias are only useful as a starting point in research and Wikipedia is no worse than printed encylopædias in that regard, and better in many others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

$5,310

Cool. Now how do I sell it? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

$50 and $98 bucks respectively.

I'm upset! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

my sh1tty blog is worth $3,815.

Yeah, right :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Talliesin wrote:
    <other interesting bits snipped, see above>
    Encyclopædias are only useful as a starting point in research and Wikipedia is no worse than printed encylopædias in that regard, and better in many others.

I do find it useful. I have it as one of my drop down search items in FF2. Sometimes I even fix bits. But there are some very disturbing aspects of it. Esp. the founder.

The majority of an Encyclopedia is static. My 1922 printed Farnsworth edition is still very useful, especially on people before 1920. The maps were not updated from the pre 1914 boundaries so since 1990 have become increasingly accurate and useful. Now if it was only searchable online...

Advertisement