Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog ransom??

Options
  • 07-03-2007 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭

Just got a call from a friend in Galway. He and his girlfriend recently bought a staff bull terrier. Well yesterday his girlfriend went into the house locked the door behind her and set about cleaning the house. In the process she opened the front window to let in some fresh air. She then went upstairs to get the hoover. On coming back down she realised the dog was missing. She realised the dog couldn't have jumped out the window as it is two high off the ground and the dog is still a pup. Anyway she searched everywhere inside and in the local area. A couple of hours passed still no sign. My friend arrived home from work and still no dog. Then a knock on the door... Two scumbags were at the door. They said they had taken the dog from INSIDE and were holding her near by with some other scumbags. They demanded 300 euro for her "safe" return or else she would "get it". Anyway the long and short is they gave them a 100 euro for the dog back. Called the guards but there was nothing they could do as the guys in question were under 16. So just a warning for people. Apparently its pretty widespread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Dognapping is really widespread, it's awful. I've heard of so many cases of it, so be sure to keep an eye on your dogs!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Schlemm wrote:
    Dognapping is really widespread, it's awful. I've heard of so many cases of it, so be sure to keep an eye on your dogs!

What is the world coming to..................little brute's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

them scumbags, i would have told them come inside and wait till i get money. then go round the back get a shovel and whack the sh** out of them, poke their eyes out and tell them to ring their scum friend for the puppy, while holding a kife to their kneck, if they didnt do that i would just make them drink a litre of domestos and dump them near a cliff..:rolleyes:

they are just low life scum bags any way, not as if someone will miss them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

A shovelin's too good for 'em.
    Anyway the long and short is they gave them a 100 euro for the dog back.
    That's some nice haggling power.
    Called the guards but there was nothing they could do as the guys in question were under 16.
    That's a great attitude isn't it?
    Wait until they've had a few years to get used to being little hell-raising bastards before you step in and try'n rehabilitate them.

And yet if you put some kind of hilarious Home-Alone-style spike-trap below your open window you'd go to jail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

A shovelin's too good for 'em.

And yet if you put some kind of hilarious Home-Alone-style spike-trap below your open window you'd go to jail.

Unfortunately they belong to a famous family in Galway. Famous for the wrong reasons so they couldn't touch them. As for the guards they say the legislation isn't in place to deal with them. So untill then the cycle of scumbags in our society is going to continue. I realise MODS that this is completely of forum topic. So just wanted to warn people. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

That's some nice haggling power.

Yeah, well done. Can't believe the audacity tbh. Don't know how I'd have re-acted, you can't really hammer the shoite out of them on your door-step.

At least your dog's home safe and sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

Ok if the guards can not touch them due to the fact that they are minors then the guards should go after the guardianships of the minors then. Appears that the guards are copping out.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

If it was my dogs(s) I wouldnt care whose "famous family" they belonged to.

Theres always a means to an end ;)

And considering the fact that you`ve already reported it to the garda who have decided to do nothing about it then I`d say you`d easily get away with "persuading" them to give the dog back for free ;)
    The least the Garda could do them for is "theft" but then again its typical of this country--We have a police force who dont give a s**t about crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

a similar thing happened to a friend of mine, he didnt get his dog back for about two weeks, i'm not surre the exact details of how they got her back but he didn't pay what they were asking for!

its horrible to think that someone would actually take your dog from your house!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Its not just dogs! This happened to my friend her cat was taken :( Cost her €400 to get him back - the cat was in the secure cat run - so potentially ANY loved pet is fair game for scum to take advantage of :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

It happened to my motorcycle years back. Had to pay £400 to get it back in the end. It hit me a bit more than a pet being taken as I needed it to get in and out of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

How can these little gob****es get away with that without anyone doing anything about it?

If, on the the hand, the "kidnapped" dog where to bite one of them, they would successfully sue you for damages and compensation and the dog would possibly have to be put down.

Hello?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

tallus wrote:
    It hit me a bit more than a pet being taken as I needed it to get in and out of work.

Have you ever lost a much loved pet? I'd much rather my car was stolen than my dog:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

As far as prosecution wise there is not much the guards can do. All minors who commit a small crime such as theft can be put in the juvenile liason scheme.

However I know a small village that was rampant with anti-social behaviour and the guards got sick and tired of the parents coming down to the station and it having no effect on the little brats. THe guards then decided to hell with it and stopped ringing the parents to come collect them, inside the guards brought the kids home in the patrol car and when they were near the home or estate, the guards turned on the lights and siren making sure that everyone in the estate knew that the children were caught being bold. They only did this to repeat offenders and believe me the anti-social behaviour stopped fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭junior_apollo

legs11 wrote:
    them scumbags, i would have told them come inside and wait till i get money. then go round the back get a shovel and whack the sh** out of them, poke their eyes out and tell them to ring their scum friend for the puppy, while holding a kife to their kneck, if they didnt do that i would just make them drink a litre of domestos and dump them near a cliff..:rolleyes:

they are just low life scum bags any way, not as if someone will miss them.

Damn right!... and it wouldnt be any of that posh domestos bleach either - make it tesco home-brand!... either that or take one of them in... send their parents a finger each day till u get ur dog back... an eye for an eye...

fits wrote:
    Have you ever lost a much loved pet? I'd much rather my car was stolen than my dog:mad:
    I think if you look at the departed pets sticky thread here you'll see that I have. What's your point? I have a mortgage to pay. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

i think a couple of rocks through some windows in a few weeks is in order. not that i condone crime however:rolleyes:

tallus wrote:
    I think if you look at the departed pets sticky thread here you'll see that I have. What's your point? I have a mortgage to pay. Go figure.

Well if you think losing your motorbike for a few weeks is worse than losing a pet to some scumbags, not knowing how that animal is being treated, or if it will meet some horrible end, thats your prerogative.
    I wouldnt like to be your pet.

fits wrote:
    Well if you think losing your motorbike for a few weeks is worse than losing a pet to some scumbags, not knowing how that animal is being treated, or if it will meet some horrible end, thats your prerogative.
    I wouldnt like to be your pet.
    I'd rather have a place to live, but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

TheNog wrote:
    the guards brought the kids home in the patrol car

.......... and when they got there the parents should have been fined or sanctioned in some way.
    The parents should be forced to take responsibility.

• Advertisement

You said...
    tallus wrote:
    It hit me a bit more than a pet being taken as I needed it to get in and out of work.

which implies that the short term financial implications and awkwardness of finding an alternative route to work are worse than the grief and worry of losing a much loved pet to dognappers.

Maybe thats the case for you, but having lost a parrot 'years ago' I'm not sure if you're really qualified to make a comparison.

As for losing your house because your motorbike went missing, I presume you were insured. I think you're exaggerating the risk ever so slightly... Dont be so quick or so arrogant to assume that your misfortune affected you more than the other people mentioned in this thread.

fits wrote:
    You said...

which implies that the short term financial implications and awkwardness of finding an alternative route to work are worse than the grief and worry of losing a much loved pet to dognappers.

Maybe thats the case for you, but having lost a parrot 'years ago' I'm not sure if you're really qualified to make a comparison.

As for losing your house because your motorbike went missing, I presume you were insured. I think you're exaggerating the risk ever so slightly... Dont be so quick or so arrogant to assume that your misfortune affected you more than the other people mentioned in this thread.
    Good god would you ever get over yourself and let it lie.
    When did I claim I had the monopoly on grief over a pet dying?. How does that make me arrogant?
    You took exception to what I said, fair enough. We're all entitled to our own opinions, be they right or wrong, but don't go making statements based on assumptions on a situation you know very little about.
    You have no right to comment on how I felt when my parrot died, you dont know me end of story, and to be honest you're getting a bit too personal with your comments.
    If you take that much issue with what I typed go ahead and click on the bad post icon.
    Otherwise I suggest you keep your unfounded assumptions to yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Can we get this topic back on track please???? I believe we were discussing the horrible scum that dog & cat nap critters to ransom for money!

Lets leave motorbikes & mortgages for other forums please :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

they're kidnapping animals today and if they continue to get away with it as soft as they do, kidnapping people will be the next thing.

If these kids are not old enough to be punished by the legal system then the parents should be held accountable, as it's up to them to know where their kids are and what they're doing...

a few kicks up the ass wouldn't go astray either....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Rigsby wrote:
    .......... and when they got there the parents should have been fined or sanctioned in some way.
    The parents should be forced to take responsibility.

The whole idea was to embarass the children and the parents. They obvious paid there dues as most children didn't repeat the behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

artieanna wrote:
    they're kidnapping animals today and if they continue to get away with it as soft as they do, kidnapping people will be the next thing.

Exactly. This should be stamped out immediately.

It must not be allowed to become a profitable thing. Most people who become criminals start small - stealing bikes, say - and if they're stopped short at that stage, they won't progress to bigger stuff.

If the Guards wanted to do their work, there are many charges they could bring, including daylight burglary (can't remember the actual legal name for this, but entering a house to steal during daylight hours is a serious crime).

They should prosecute the kids, and they should make sure it gets maximum publicity - and that everyone knows that this puts the kids in danger of being on a permanent record that'll stop them, for instance, working in the US when they're older, a dream of many youngsters in search of adventure.

I love the idea of bringing the kids home with lights and sirens blazing! Major humiliation for parents!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭annemarie13

my friend told me abot this. its awful! pile of f****rs if u ask me! id go mad if my dog was taken.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I dare the b@stards to try and dognap from me!
    My GSD is fast!
    He goes 0 - Burglar in 6 seconds!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Gillie wrote:
    I dare the b@stards to try and dognap from me!
    My GSD is fast!
    He goes 0 - Burglar in 6 seconds!

You are lucky. Obviously it is the small, docile, trusting dog that's at risk. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

togster wrote:
    Called the guards but there was nothing they could do as the guys in question were under 16.

Little darlings!!

Advertisement