Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

no NCT for a week, should I drive?

Options
  • 07-03-2007 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

basically my nct was up 02/2007.

I could not be accomodated until march 14th for my new NCT test.

Means obviously for the next week iv no NCT, should I drive the car or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Carry the confirmation letter in the car in the off chance your pulled in, explain it to the guard, should be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Of course, otherwise how are you going to get the car to the NCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

I've no nct since I bought my car before xmas, it failed the other day and have to wait till end of month to go in again, been stopped at a number of checkpoints and nothing has been said. according to penalty points website it's not an offence yet (think this is due to the huge waiting times in the first place)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You already have it booked, just have the sheet in the glove box. Happened to me loads of times, don't worry about it. You'd want to have a guard really reaching to try to charge you with that. Three months is kinda long but again, keep the sheet with you and don't go overtaking any cop cars in the mean time. ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

There tends to be a wait time so most people end up driving around without an up to date NCT for a few months whilst waiting on a test. If you have the confirmation letter then that's fine, but it isnt illegal to drive without it, as long as an NCT test has been booked....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭keltoms

mine has been up since the end of january aswell, guards arent really too pushy as long as the car is taxed and insured!! couple of mates of mine have japenese import cars and have never got an NCT and nothing has been said to them about it when they get pulled over! u'll be grand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

My NCT was due in January 2006. I've been stopped loads of times, but nothing said ... that being said, it's booked in for Saturday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

Saturday is supposed to be the worst day to an NCT, hope it's not though lonegunman

Someone at work hasn't NCT'd his car in three years.

He has never had hassle off the gaurds, they don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭kaizersoze123

My NCT was up 6 months ago, never got round to doing it. Not too bothered about it honestly. Was talking to a mate who is a guard, they said its basically unenforceable. As long as you have tax/insurance and your car isnt blatantly falling apart at the seams.......they really don't care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

My NCT was up 6 months ago, never got round to doing it. Not too bothered about it honestly. Was talking to a mate who is a guard, they said its basically unenforceable. As long as you have tax/insurance and your car isnt blatantly falling apart at the seams.......they really don't care.

Question is are you actually covered by insurance if you dont have a valid NCT Cert? Isnt a valid NCT where required a condition of most insurance policies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

a week???? I ahven't had a valid NCT in over 2 years! Pulled several times. Not a mention of it was made.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I was passing a garda checkpoint a couple of weeks ago and was stopped and asked where my NCT cert was? My car is 2003 and is not due it's first NCT until next month. I said this to the garda and he looked at the number plate again and started laughing saying he thought it was 93. In fairness to him my car was fairly dirty at the time and it was night time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ORVEE

Two points... A mate of mine has to go to court in may for not displaying n.c.t. cert, and the second point is my sister crashed her car in feb(with no n.c.t.)a complete right of, but thankfully the insurance company paid up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

quick question guys,my nct was up in january.i still havent got a notice to bring it in for a test.

i thought they automaticaly called you when its due.should i just call them or is there usually a waiting list?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

ORVEE wrote:
    A mate of mine has to go to court in may for not displaying n.c.t. cert,.

I bet large amounts of money thats not the only charge he is up on....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

SoBe wrote:
    quick question guys,my nct was up in january.i still havent got a notice to bring it in for a test.

i thought they automaticaly called you when its due.should i just call them or is there usually a waiting list?

Afaik they only notify the current registered owner of the first NCT test i.e. on the fourth anniversery of the date the car was first registered. Any subsequent NCT tests after the first one are the responsibility of the the registered owner to organise afaik.

You can ring them or book an availabe date for the test on http://www.nct.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

thanks for that bazz,i have owned it 1 1/2 years now,you think they could tie their database and the motor tax database in together,but then i guess that would take common sense.

off to cork on monday for a week so will have to sort it when i get back home

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Altreab wrote:
    Question is are you actually covered by insurance if you dont have a valid NCT Cert? Isnt a valid NCT where required a condition of most insurance policies?

My understanding is that if you are involved in a incident the insurance company can refuse to cover you if you don't have an NCT, i.e you can take out insurance put cannot claim on it if you dont have a valid NCT cert. In Britain I understand that if you don't have an M.O.T you can't get insurance. This only adds to the problem of uninsured drivers. IMO the system here is better but having to display an NCT cert on your windscreen is naff.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

SoBe wrote:

It is up to the registered owner of the vehicle to ensure that their vehicle has a valid NCT. The letter from the NCT is sent as a courtesy only. It is not a legal requirement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

mickd wrote:
    My understanding is that if you are involved in a incident the insurance company can refuse to cover you if you don't have an NCT, i.e you can take out insurance put cannot claim on it if you dont have a valid NCT cert. In Britain I understand that if you don't have an M.O.T you can't get insurance. This only adds to the problem of uninsured drivers. IMO the system here is better but having to display an NCT cert on your windscreen is naff.

The insurance companies can only refuse to pay out on an insurance claim if the car isn't in roadworthy condition pre-accident, i.e. bald tyres or mechanical defects. Its very rare for an insurance company not to pay out but I've seen it happen. You are obliged to keep your car in road worthy condition, its in the terms and conditions of the insurance policy. As regards N.C.T. testing...... its a scam anyway and another tax as far as I'm concerned. All my cars are in road worthy condition and none are N.C.T. tested and they won't be either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Isn't it great to have a guard as a mate!!!!!!! Thats great advice there!!:D

I hate driving round with no tax - im always worried about being stopped. Again its going to happen from tomorrow on, as i change my car then, and theres no tax on it at all. Always takes bout 2 weeks b4 paperwork gets to me.:(

bazz26 wrote:
    I was passing a garda checkpoint a couple of weeks ago and was stopped and asked where my NCT cert was? My car is 2003 and is not due it's first NCT until next month. I said this to the garda and he looked at the number plate again and started laughing saying he thought it was 93. In fairness to him my car was fairly dirty at the time and it was night time. :)

:D:D

mumof2 wrote:
    as i change my car then, and theres no tax on it at all. Always takes bout 2 weeks b4 paperwork gets to me.:(
    Allowances are made for this. The Gardaí deal with it on a daily basis.

Allowances are made for this. The Gardaí deal with it on a daily basis.

Ive learnt that, have been stopped and asked for it once or twice now!!

BTW, what happens if (like what happened to me), youve no insurance disc (renewal one), as I paid late last year, and was stopped at a checkpoint, and pointed out it was missing/out of date. They told me to go to local station with proof of insurance. I never did, but my dad said I could have been taken to court for not providing the information?? Is this true??

mumof2 wrote:
    They told me to go to local station with proof of insurance. I never did, but my dad said I could have been taken to court for not providing the information?? Is this true??
    :eek: You were very lucky! and your dad is correct. "Failure to display and failure to produce".

:eek: You were very lucky! and your dad is correct. "Failure to display and failure to produce".

OOPS!!!!!!!

Thanks, guess Id better listen next time!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

I've just realised my first NCT is due next week, but I haven't received a test date from them....must look into it.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,986 ✭✭✭✭Stark

mumof2 wrote:
    BTW, what happens if (like what happened to me), youve no insurance disc (renewal one), as I paid late last year, and was stopped at a checkpoint, and pointed out it was missing/out of date. They told me to go to local station with proof of insurance. I never did, but my dad said I could have been taken to court for not providing the information?? Is this true??

Tell your dad that he can be brought to court for dropping you on your head as a child.

Advertisement