Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting agent nightmare, help!

Options
  • 07-03-2007 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

I've been renting a place since June and after numerous issues that the letting agent completely ignored (problems with appliances, electricity, not receiving a lease, tenancy not registered with PRTB - which is a legal requirement), in November I sent a registered letter stating I would be witholding rent until this was sorted out. Agent STILL didn't reply so I followed up with a phone call demanding to speak to manager, who "advised" me that witholding rent would be a very bad idea, but promised to have the agent I was dealing with call me back by the next day, which of course never happened. So I forgot about it and just put the rent aside.

I'm moving out now, so I sent a registered letter to them 3 weeks ago, and heard nothing. The other day I suddenly receive my lease and a note from the landlord apologising for not sending it sooner, and giving her mobile number if i have any queries. No mention of the unpaid rent!

Anyway i've been trying to ring her for 2 days now to inform her i'm leaving (and also to tell her how dreadfully the letting agent have managed her affairs) with no joy. The letting agents say someone will ring me back but they never do, and i'm moving out next week.

What more can I do here? Is there anyone I can report these guys to?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

No but I know the guy who's the letting manager/director for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,398 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Complain to landlord.

Are they members of the IAVI or SCS?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

How do you know the whole mess isn't the landlord's fault, rather than the agent's?

If you have served notice by registered letter, why bother contacting them at all?

Advertisement