Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-amp??

Options
  • 07-03-2007 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Im new to this recording business and Im looking to get set up recording my acoustic and vocals on to my pc. I have attempter before, just plugging directly in to my standard sound card then recording on Cubase, but the quality was awful. My main question is this, is a pre-amp ( Something like this perhaps http://www.behringer.com/MIC200/index.cfm?lang=ENG )what I need to get things sounding good? Iv'e been flicking round some sites and Im still not sure.
    Sorry for the stupid question ;)
    Thanks

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭fitz

M-audio MobilePre USB device should do the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭col_nicholson

Thanks for setting me right!

But now that I found the M-audio, its a bit pricey, would the berhinger really suck, or is it that it only has one input?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The_g-man

http://www.thomann.de/ie/edirol_ua4fx.htm
    This is about €15 cheaper, not many units around for less that have phantom power for the mic input.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

There's a lot of surprisingly useful gear out there on a budget. Tell us a little more, do you have a mic or intend on getting a mic? What equipment and instruments do you intend on using? Will you really need to record more than one instrument or voice at the same time?

Thanks for the responses!

I just plan on recording an acoustic guitar and voice, thats it. I would like to be able to record both at the same time. I allready have a mic (http://www.musiccorner.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=2227_2237&products_id=9515&osCsid=gd2uj0vef22fvmnb2ueeeok6d4)
    I guess its pretty crap, but i bought it ages ago to pass a rainy day. I dont know what phantom power is, but ill google it and become more informed! I really am on a budget, thats my problem!
    Edit

Also my soundcard is pretty basic, its just a basic onboard one I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I'd suggest looking second hand. I just sold a Digi 001 today for €150, that would have done everything you need at far better quality than the Behringer (Although if I'm really honest hat is only anecdotal as I haven't tested them side by side). If I had to get a freind in at entry level recording, I'd defintiely spend my money second hand. What exactly is your budget and I'll give you some pointers.

Well to be honest I'd like to spend only about 100euro, and at that its pushing it! Also, is it just me or are the descriptions on musicstorekoeln not extremely lacking?

Advertisement