Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone here actually a qualified pilot?

Options
  • 07-03-2007 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

So are any of you guys actually qualified pilots? Do you fly for recreational purposes or are you employed as a pilot?

Me, I can't fly at all, I once sat in the cockpit of a Harrier Jump Jet when I was about 8 but I don't remember that much about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Aviator55

Yeah, i did a US PPL when I was overseas and fly a bit in a kit plane.
    If I was starting again in Ireland I'd probably go the Microlight route. (See the NMAI website for details.)
    Cheapest way to get a PPL is in the US, if you can put up with the anti-terror paranoia.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yeah you see a few years ago my brother bought my father a one-hour flight lesson at Weston in Lucan and it cost €90 at that time, I imagine it's more now so for me flying at home was never an option. I just don't have the money to throw away on flying lessons, that money would be better spent elsewhere unfortunately :( Haven't checked out the prices in England.

How many hours training and flying do you need to get a basic license for a Cessna-type light aircraft?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Aspiring PPL only here, R3n4ul.

I've been promising myself to go the extra step for god knows how long, but simply haven't had the time :(

I know there are a few private and heavy iron jockeys on here, hopefully now that we have our forum (thanks Vex, and Dev) they might show themselves.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Thargy

*cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DeBeere

Currently working towards my first solo and then onto my PPL(Heli), Have about 25 hours under my belt. Would have flown solo earlier but many of my lessons have been broken up by weeks of no flying :(

Hopefully this forum gets some use...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I want to have ago at the PTC in waterford, anyone have information on it, anyone do it. i have viewed the website too many times.

PPL or ATPL, Plug?

I wouldn't mind heading off to Florida for a few stints and coming back in a year to an F.O. job. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

SPL here flying planks. Should have the PPL by the Summer. Had great fun this morning in a C172 flying Wayne Hilton (Wayne in the Plane) from 96FM on his morning traffic run. The guys in ATC let you do anything at that hour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

ned78 wrote:
    SPL here flying planks. Should have the PPL by the Summer. Had great fun this morning in a C172 flying Wayne Hilton (Wayne in the Plane) from 96FM on his morning traffic run. The guys in ATC let you do anything at that hour :)
    Is Wayne a qualified pilot? as a spl you aren't allowed to take passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

ned78 wrote:

Wayne is really in a plane ??? i always though that was a joke......

• Advertisement

I thought it was just a tagline meself. I remember they actually used to have an "eye in the sky" or whatever they called it a few years back.

Ned78, how many hours have you down so far? Done the EIWF run yet? I know South Aer send students up there on solo flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Thargy

PPL or ATPL, Plug?

I wouldn't mind heading off to Florida for a few stints and coming back in a year to an F.O. job. :D
    You'll regret it.
    Get a proper job.

It won't be happening at this stage of my existence, I can assure you :(

If I could have been a pilot when it still had currency (glamour, a pioneering spirit, and respect) as opposed to now when it seems to be all about extra responsibility, pressure, and none of the reward (going by what pilots say), then who knows?

The most I aspire to is my PPL for recreational flying tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Pataman wrote:
    Is Wayne a qualified pilot? as a spl you aren't allowed to take passengers.

I had a qualified pilot with me, and Wayne in the back. It's a prerequisite that an SPL can't carry passengers, I think most people are aware of that.
    Ned78, how many hours have you down so far?

Mid twenties, but I haven't flown since October, the weather has been terrible. I have a Solo Permit (It's part of the SPL License anyway), and I'm ready to go, but I just haven't been up in a while to have it happen. Plus, I'm working 6 days and 2 nights a week, so I need that to ease up a little too. Should have it all finished by the Summer hopefully. I'll do the IR and Multi after that.

Excellent stuff. The IR is essential I'm told, unless you want to restrict your flying to one week in June. Mid twenties could have you nearly halfway to the PPL, I suppose. The South Aer piper (CGP) could probably do the Waterford run by itself at this stage, as it seems to pass over my house at least once a day when the sun is out and VMC conditions prevail.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I've about 22 hours logged including one solo. Haven't flown in ages though, let everything lapse - including all the exams. :( Ah well, when I've time and money I'll start again.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭conor_mc

r3nu4l wrote:
    So are any of you guys actually qualified pilots? Do you fly for recreational purposes or are you employed as a pilot?

Yep, I'm a PPL - actually now that I think of it, the one year anniversary of my flight test was this week I think!

Did my PPL with SkyTrace in Weston. They're not the cheapest, but I was very happy with the standard of training, especially at the business end of things in the run-up to the flight test. The Robin they have is great if you're 6-foot-plus and find a 150/152 a tad cramped.

Like this? It looks a helluva lot more spacious then your average Cherokee or 152/172.
    amm20050610_ROBIN-DR400-160_VCR_PH-SVQ_ANR_03.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Like this? It looks a helluva lot more spacious then your average Cherokee or 152/172.

Afraid not!

EI-SKS is only a two-seater. It has a stick instead of a yoke, which means it doesn't knock off your kneecap when you're climbing and turning out of Weston for the noise abatement circuit. The bubble canopy also gives a feeling of more space, plus you sit down into the cockpit, as opposed to the more upright seating position in a Cessna.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Av8r_Mark

ATPL 1300HRS B738 right seat with Irish airline

• Advertisement

Welcome :)

conor_mc wrote:
    The bubble canopy also gives a feeling of more space, plus you sit down into the cockpit, as opposed to the more upright seating position in a Cessna.

God bless Airliners.net. This looks like a nice place to spend an afternoon.

<snip> It seems airliners.net doesn't like hotlinking. Roundy. <snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I'm like Dublin bus..... I'm not there yet but I'm getting there.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Av8r_Mark wrote:
    ATPL 1300HRS B738 right seat with Irish airline

With a blue tail fin and starting with "R" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

I did 29 hours in C150's, went solo, got the PPL exams & then stopped due to lack of funds. That was about 6 years ago... :(

I'd love to go back & finish the PPL (I had dreams of ATPL's, Boeings, Buses & the like) just to have it. Maybe someday in the future. But I do know of a few people who started around the same time as me that are now flying jets for a living. And back in those days I used to get the occasional jump seat ride in a 732 :)

From a few discussions on pprune, it seems that people kicking off the ATPL in their mid thirties isn't unheard of. The one main advantage I can think of, is that most thirty somethings can shell out for the cost more or less off the bat, as opposed to someone starting off, who more often than not begins their commercial flying career with low earnings and a very substantial debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Not sure if it counts but I have a MPL (Microlight) that I got in South Africa about five years ago. I clocked up about 40 hours altogether. Was great fun. I haven't been able to find anywhere really handy to fly here though. Would love to get back at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

Hi Roen,try www.nmai.ie click on clubs and schools.
    I don't think you can transfer licence to ireland which is really unfair.
    also there's no flexwing in the south afaik?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Cheers Macshadow, I'll check em out.
    I've seen a few around Waterford before and I know a lad that flies out of New Ross too. There are definitely some around, trying to get up in one is the trick ;)
    Thanks once more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

~3000hrs right seat A321. Temp SE Asia contract.

Advertisement