Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone here actually a qualified pilot?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

ATPL A320/1. 2000Hrs+

PS. When are you coming back to us fluffer??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Back to who......?!

As long as I can push it tbh. October possibly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

fluffer wrote:
    Back to who......?!

As long as I can push it tbh. October possibly.

Well the prognosis should be a bit clearer by then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

PPL, currently hour building in Florida.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

ned78 wrote:
    The guys in ATC let you do anything at that hour :)

hemmm;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

>>So are any of you guys actually qualified pilots? Do you fly for recreational >>purposes or are you employed as a pilot?

Couple of hours away from the PPL , studied out in Bankstown Sydney for most of my flight training and now 'Learning over Lucan' in weston aerodrome, such a sight change from Sydney but sticking with the Cessna 152.

glad to finally have a forum,well done boards

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭barry75

frozen atpl 400 hrs .finding it difficult to get the first job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Thargy

That jerk FlutterinBantam spends his time on other areas of this BB spewing anti-aircrew venom.

WTF is he doing on an aviation board?
    Has he got a pilot fetish?

Frustrated little w*nker - bugger off back to the Insult Thread where ya belong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Keep the insults and personal abuse to the Insult Thread where it belongs please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

23 Hours Rotary, 3 hours Fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

Does qualified trolley-dolly count? :p

23 hours into my PPL, aiming to get it all finished by the summer (though thatmight be a tad ambitious with the weather we're having)

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

I've logged about 80 hours (last time I bothered to count) SPL at Weston. I spent months last year waiting for suitable weather to do the cross-country (Weston-Shannon-Galway), but it never happened. I discovered today my solo circuit and solo nav endorsements have lapsed and have to be renewed. My exams will lapse in July. It's been quite frustrating and disheartening at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

51 hours logged so far. ppl done. doing Instrument,CPL,CFi and CFII soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

How do you know you've met a pilot at a party?

He tells you!

CPL/IR 500 hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

cp251 wrote:
    How do you know you've met a pilot at a party?

He tells you!

CPL/IR 500 hours

LOL QFT :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭smdweb

I would love to get qualified with a PPL ... how long / how much does it cost ??

I have a good understanding of instruments, flaps, principals of flight, basics of ATC ... so I would pick things up quite well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ousty

Anyone here actually a qualified pilot?

PPL night rating IMC rating & I.R
    just over 2000 hrs
    25 years flying
    Home airfield Abbeyshrule (when at home)
    Based in Jersey
    ousty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

ned78 wrote: »
    I have a Solo Permit (It's part of the SPL License anyway), and I'm ready to go, but I just haven't been up in a while to have it happen. Plus, I'm working 6 days and 2 nights a week, so I need that to ease up a little too. Should have it all finished by the Summer hopefully. I'll do the IR and Multi after that.

Did you mean you intend to do the CPL, IR and multi? It's just that PPLs with IRs are as rare as airshows in this country. They exist but the a PPL/IR is difficult to get, has to be renewed once a year, which means the pilot must remain current and almost impossible to use at the time of the year it's are most needed. In winter the icing level is quite low and unless the aircraft is fully equipped in terms of de-icing and instruments. It's a no go. Equally the multi is nice to have but fairly useless as unless you own your own twin. No one will let you near theirs let alone fly it.

As a result of the above, in Europe generally. Pilots, (invariably rich ones) who want to fly in IMC get American ratings and fly N registered aircraft. Except the British who have their own 'get out of trouble' basic IMC rating.

I presume you did mean to include a CPL?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

ned78 wrote: »
    SPL here flying planks. Should have the PPL by the Summer. Had great fun this morning in a C172 flying Wayne Hilton (Wayne in the Plane) from 96FM on his morning traffic run. The guys in ATC let you do anything at that hour :)

thats cool i remember a guy on 96fm didn't believe he was actualy in a plane until wayne flew over him

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

let's assume you got your licence to fly a helicopter.

How difficult is it to find a job?

What type of salary would you get?

Obviously most of you who have the ppl fly for pleasure, but why not doing it for a living if it is that pleasurable?

Thanks! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Jeff Bond wrote: »
    let's assume you got your licence to fly a helicopter.

How difficult is it to find a job?

What type of salary would you get?

Obviously most of you who have the ppl fly for pleasure, but why not doing it for a living if it is that pleasurable?

Thanks! :)

2 mins reading prune answers that.
    http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=303093

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 FidesEtRobur

700 total time, 470 multi crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭merkuree

Fides et Robur

Rock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭thesweeney

Currently doing my IR then on to Parc for my MCC...someone please gimme a job! :) Job market is madness at the moment...shoulda went a different route me thinks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

This is only gonna interest people who haven't started their PPLs, but:

There are 2 new licences in the pipeline for private pilots.

1) Basic LPL - 20 hours training, limited to <50km of home airfield
    2) LPL (Leisure Pilot Licence) - 30 hours training, no range restriction, fly what you want.

They'll be in law in December and in practice March(ish). Microlight is the way to go, and you'll be able to train on 'em too. You can upgrade both licences to PPL. PPL will remain and will be the only way of stepping up to commercial

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Confab wrote: »
    This is only gonna interest people who haven't started their PPLs, but:

There are 2 new licences in the pipeline for private pilots.

1) Basic LPL - 20 hours training, limited to <50km of home airfield
    2) LPL (Leisure Pilot Licence) - 30 hours training, no range restriction, fly what you want.

They'll be in law in December and in practice March(ish). Microlight is the way to go, and you'll be able to train on 'em too. You can upgrade both licences to PPL. PPL will remain and will be the only way of stepping up to commercial

Source???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Source???

EASA (European Aviation Safety Authority). I recall reading an article about it on PPRUNE, and there was a link to the press release. Can't find it myself but I didn't look too hard.

http://www.easa.eu.int

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭yaeger

Yes........Loadsa of hours on loadsa types. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Source???

As above, this is from EASA. Check out the NPAs under the Licencing section of EASA site. General aviation regulation is changing hugely, and amazingly it's changing for the better.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

DeBeere wrote: »
    Currently working towards my first solo and then onto my PPL(Heli), Have about 25 hours under my belt. Would have flown solo earlier but many of my lessons have been broken up by weeks of no flying :(

Hopefully this forum gets some use...

Im also working towards PPL (H), bout 25 hours including some solo time and just started Nav work. Learning on an R44.

Advertisement