Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

shops in balbriggan

• 07-03-2007 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

Hey guys
    We just moved to balbriggan last week (moylaragh)and was wondering what the situation was like in the town for shops.
    We are looking for a place to get saucepans, plates, glasses and things like that.
    Do dunnes sell that kinda stuff? whats it like there? Is there anywhere else?
    Is there a hairdressers up there in that centre?
    Furniture shop?
    The estate agent told us that a big pavillions (swords) style shopping centre was being built next year and will be ready in autumn of next year, is this true?? Hope so
    Whats the area like in general for shops, amenities, pubs (very important!!) etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Check here for the pubs in Balbriggan. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055059323

We are looking for a place to get saucepans, plates, glasses and things like that.
    Do dunnes sell that kinda stuff? whats it like there? Is there anywhere else?
    Dunnes sell some items like that, Supervalu also do. up in the centre where Dunnes is there is a shop called "Home". get most stuff in that
    Is there a hairdressers up there in that centre?
    There is a hairdressers and a barbers. Been to the barbers and it was fine, heard the hairdressers is quite dear. Dont know for sure though.
    Furniture shop?
    There is none at the centre where Dunnes is. There is one furnature shop in balbriggan beside the train station (Hodgens) and a smaller more limited stocked one (Rafters, also sells carpets & floors) at the Bank of Ireland. I know from my own experience on purchasing these items you are better of going out of Balbriggan. I bought a lot in Navan and it is only 25mins drive away.
    The estate agent told us that a big pavillions (swords) style shopping centre was being built next year and will be ready in autumn of next year, is this true?? Hope so
    There is planning permission in for this, I believe, which will wrap around the graveyard. Dont know when building will commence.
    Whats the area like in general for shops, amenities, pubs (very important!!) etc?
    Pubs, I mentioned above. Shops in general is ok but not a very big selection.
    Amenities, there are a large variety of sports clubs in the town, Soccer, GAA, Golf, Tennis(I think), Cricket and probably more. Loads to do tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

For your kitchenware stuff - maybe take a trip over to Allrooms in Skerries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

When we moved to Balbriggan last summer, EEC Hardware (Arro) was a lifesaver. I doubt we would have ever found them without being told they were there though. It's in Stephenstown Business Park.

To get there, as you drive out of Balbriggan, take a right at the church roundabout. Go straight through the next roundabout, and take a left at the third roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Legend20

Ahh Dunnes! we sell everything, except in date fresh food!! i work there, its a love/hate relationship!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Dunnes doesn't have much in the way of anyhting except food and cleaning materials.
    Arro is small but handy.
    Airside in swords has a homestore,woodies b&q and a few other things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

EEC Hardware is a ripoff, much better going to Woodies, Atlantic or B & Q in Swords or else up towards Drogheda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

MAYPOP wrote:
    EEC Hardware is a ripoff

Do they not make you aware of the prices before purchase?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

No prices on anything in EEC but the prices arent far off the mark compared to woodies. I was buying a new electric shower recently and EEC were slightly cheaper than woodies.

ps. Watch the dates on anything you buy in dunnes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Havent actually done a check for price comparison with Woodies etc but I would be surprised if EEC is dearer.

Even if it is would it be worth the time and effort to go to Swords?? I would prefer people to support the local shop, we are lucky to have it so near. When I moved first and they were off the Main Street I found the staff very helpful and the prices very good. I wouldnt have fancied having to drive to Swords for a few blocks to put under the garden shed or sand paper for the sander when you are in a hurry.!!

The new shop is great with garden stuff, some furniture, bed linen etc as well as the usual DIY stuf

Bluetonic wrote:
    Do they not make you aware of the prices before purchase?

Occasionally they do, and more often than not, I find that they are more expensive than other retailers. Hence why I do not purchase there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

Have to say that in my experience, I have found EEC more than reasonable.

MAYPOP wrote:
    Occasionally they do, and more often than not

Don't you know it's illegal to not display prices?

Have you refereed this to anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dors1976

sirpsycho wrote:
    ps. Watch the dates on anything you buy in dunnes...

I agree.

Bluetonic wrote:
    Don't you know it's illegal to not display prices?

Have you refereed this to anyone?

I really don't care.

MAYPOP wrote:
    I really don't care.

:)

You seemed to care enough to comment on the issue.

Advertisement