Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DivX Support on Xbox 360?

• 07-03-2007 5:44pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Did I hear recently that MS were going to add support for DivX or is this wishful thinking?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

LFCFan wrote:
    Did I hear recently that MS were going to add support for DivX or is this wishful thinking?
    Wishful thinking ... I haven't seen anything on the Forums, and MS rarely (see: never) appear to comment on Speculation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,777 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Guys, Take a look at TVersity.com
    Kippy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

i remember reading a post somewhere reportidly from a microsoft guy saying they were only seeing what codecs 360 owners would like. he said nothing about them actually supporting any of them.
    will see if i can find the article\post...

/edit
    I think this is the one i was on about, from doom9 forums

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

kippy wrote:
    Kippy
    These on the Fly solutions are ok but being able to use Media Centre to play a DivX file or play DivX from a Portable HD would be so much sweeter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

LFCFan wrote:
    These on the Fly solutions are ok but being able to use Media Centre to play a DivX file or play DivX from a Portable HD would be so much sweeter!
    please excuse my ignorance but i've heard referance to this 'on the fly solutions'.....what exactly does ths mean?:confused:

p.s. not hijacking the thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

You have your pc on, which converts xvid/divx to a 360 compatible format as its transferring it. Cant see the point of it unless you like to waste electricity. Better off watching the actual xvids on your pc, or modding an old xbox.

You have your pc on, which converts xvid/divx to a 360 compatible format as its transferring it. Cant see the point of it unless you like to waste electricity. Better off watching the actual xvids on your pc, or modding an old xbox.
    Its a great piece of software and it is free. Saved me having to convert about 100 gig of various file formats to WMV, which would in turn have used plenty electircity and indeed storage space on my PC. Also saved me having to buy MCE which would havent done the job I wanted anyway.
    I like watching movies on the TV, as does the members of the household-TVersity has helped me do that without any hardware or software modifications on my Xbox360 and very little work on my PC.
    What does MCE offer over it? Very little or nothing as far as I can see. MCE limits you to WMV format, this can play any.
    Sorry if I've come across as over the top but this really is a very handy useful piece of software for an Xbox 360 owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

kippy wrote:
    Its a great piece of software and it is free. Saved me having to convert about 100 gig of various file formats to WMV, which would in turn have used plenty electircity and indeed storage space on my PC. Also saved me having to buy MCE which would havent done the job I wanted anyway.
    I like watching movies on the TV, as does the members of the household-TVersity has helped me do that without any hardware or software modifications on my Xbox360 and very little work on my PC.
    What does MCE offer over it? Very little or nothing as far as I can see. MCE limits you to WMV format, this can play any.
    Sorry if I've come across as over the top but this really is a very handy useful piece of software for an Xbox 360 owner.
    cool, so you just have the 360 attached to your p.c. for transfering the files after you have xonverted them with the tversity software and watch them with the 360 through the t.v ya?

sounds pretty handy.....

cool, so you just have the 360 attached to your p.c. for transfering the files after you have xonverted them with the tversity software and watch them with the 360 through the t.v ya?

sounds pretty handy.....
    You dont really convert files and transfer them.
    What happens is that the Xbox connects to your PC sees the media files available through TVersity. You select one to play and (without actually taking the time to convert, save it as another format, then copy to your xbox) Tversity does all the work for you. It streams the media to the Xbox in a format that the xbox thinks is WMV.
    Have a look on their site, theres loads of info there.
    Kippy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭MickH503

kippy wrote:
    Kippy
    Thanks for that Kippy - never heard of it before ...
    It took a few hours of messing around, but got it working eventually! No more wires going across middle of room from PC to TV!! It is playing avi and mpg files OK from my PC, but I can't figure out how to get an internet link to work....

• Advertisement

Hi MickH,
    Do you mean the streaming media that TVersity itself can pull from the net?
    I havent yet gotten this working on the XBOX side as I dont really have a need for it. I think it is possible however.
    Kippy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭MickH503

kippy wrote:
    Hi MickH,
    Do you mean the streaming media that TVersity itself can pull from the net?
    I havent yet gotten this working on the XBOX side as I dont really have a need for it. I think it is possible however.
    Kippy
    I think that's what I mean! You can add a URL as a share, but I can't get it to come up on XBox screen. But, like yourself, I don't really need that function. I am VERY happy to be able to play avi's and mpg's off my PC over the wireless link! Thanks again for letting us know TVersity exists!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

although admirable .. TVersity is really very clunky compared to a modded xbox .. well the version i used was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

http://runtime360.com/

I use this.. Works a bloody treat. Very fast n is a sinch to use... Shame it doesnt work with my movies

Advertisement