Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mildew in Car I'm Buying

Options
  • 07-03-2007 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hey,

Went to view a 1998 VW Golf yesterday for €3000. 80k, NCT till 02/08, timing belt at 66k. Really really nice car for the price. Couple of small chips and a cracked bumper but doesn't bother me. Strcuturally the car is sound. Had it checked over and got the all clear but have a couple of worries about it.

The seat belt in the right rear has some slight mildew on it, and there was another small spot of mildew on the floor on the right rear. The guy selling it is a mechanic and said that the mildew was prob due to the last owner not drying out the upholstery after cleaning it. He also said that he had plastic over the covers to keep it clean and that they had been on it for the last 4-6 weeks. The interior did look as if it had been given a good clean. Checked all the door seals and they seemed fine.

Also the car had 5 previous owners which I wondered if for such a clean car, why had it changed hands so many times?. Maybe I'm just being paranoid but for such a good price I cant help but be suspicious.

Am going to check it out on cartell to be sure but wondering if anyone can tell me if these queries are the sign of something bigger?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭kaizersoze123

The water supply to the rear window washer , which runs through the headlining, has been known to leak into the rear seats etc in MKIV golfs. check the headlining for dampness/mildew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Squawk

Cheers Kaizer, exactly kind of info I was after!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

if a car is valated and left idle then you have a recipe for mildew

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Was this Golf red in colour and around the Baldoyle area of Dublin??

Yeah was red in colour but not in Baldoyle, in Walkinstown. Has white speed dials and one of the trims on the rear of the left rear door was missing (mechanic going to replace it). Has Tipp South reg plate.

This the same car?

• Advertisement

Sorry Squawk I read your PM before seeing the above post. The Golf I spotted was a 3 door. So it ain't the lemon in Baldoyle.:D :D Must get some pics to show you REAL mildew.;) ;)

Hey Taxman,

Read your PM before the above post (you're in good company) !!

Thanks so much for the offer, was dead sound of you!!

Saw some post from you before about memory etc for your laptop. If you're ever looking for some pc advice, let us know and if I can help ya at all, I surely will!! :)

Thanks again,

Squawk

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Squawk wrote:
    Mildew in Car I'm Buying

I DON'T BEEELIIIEEEVEE IT!! :p

(sorry.. but it had to be done! :D)

^^^:D :D

Cheers Squawk I'll keep that in mind.;)

^^^:D :D

Cheers Squawk I'll keep that in mind.;)

^^:D :D

If I had to choose though, I think I'd much prefer Mildew to a moist and smelly Mildrew!! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement