Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasonably priced .22 suppressors?

Options
  • 07-03-2007 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks I tried to search, no joy I even tried the site:boards.ie trick but again no dice.
    My question is: Is anyone using a .22lr with suppressor? and if so how do they find it?
    I would prefer if this does not develop into a legal v illegal type thread so please post only relevant information.
    The rifle is an Anschutz mod. 1416 Bolt action .22lr
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

CJhaughey wrote:
    My question is: Is anyone using a .22lr with suppressor? and if so how do they find it?

Hi,

I have two suppressors, one is called a sound biter, €30 mostly plastic therefore lighter and smaller than the Parker Hale €40. I prefer the first for the size and weight aspect and it does the job as far as I can see. Both bought locally...

Hope that helps.

TJ911...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I would prefer if this does not develop into a legal v illegal type thread so please post only relevant information.
    Suppressors are perfectly legal, and are reasonably commonplace.
    However, you do need a permit from your local superintendent to have one.

edit: and I still think they degrade accuracy, so there :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

do ye know of any reasnobley prices reflex .22 mof
    trying to stear away fromT8's price range

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

T8's are made for centrefires and are way overkill for a .22lr

SAK make great mod's and will take away any noise a .22r makes however they are designed for magnum rimmies aswell and have a larger diameter than normal .22lr mod's but are only 50 and excellent job.

Anything else on a .22 should only cost around 30ish to 40

Deben make them so do parkerhale sako ones are good if you can get them pretty much anything will work on a .22 its the smallest of the lot.

have a SAK
    but i'm looking for something shorter

shooting without harris and sak reminded my how light and short the rifle was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Wont get anything much shorter than a SAK even if you do go for an over barrel they are all designed for CF rifles and consequently are huge so going to add weight and you'll gain maybe 2-3" at the end.

The SAK is the shortest lightest silencer you'll get for a .17hmr and unless your want a slightly quieter report why change?

You could look into getting your barrel shortened take it down to 14" 's maybe but then your sacrificing range.

I've a heavy 21" barreled .17hmr with SAK and haris SL and dont find it that heavy get a decent sling and you wont notice it i like the extra weight keeps everything spot on at the other end.

That or join a gym;)

GYM is an option

went shooting with dads 30 year old semi with irons
    it did everything my cz with triger mod harris sling and what have you
    no thread onit though

it brought back the simple days of just shooting to get a rabbit for tomorrows dinner
    there was none of this ,stay with one brand using a mod,,,, it was all HV and they took the head off the rabbit at 75+

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/5638/withandwithouteb7.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Would think twice,cutting up or threading an Anschutz barrel.That will degrade value somthing fierce on them.I have one myself.There is a way around that,if you dont mind losing the frontsight temporarily.There is a Parker Hale adapter that friction fits over the muzzle,and threads onto the PH silencer.The PH has my money due to thhe fact it is all steel,but fiddley to clean or strip.Just dunk it all in solvent,and air or let dry naturally.
    Also a good one is the Viame[sic?] model.No stripping down,just dunk and dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thanks all for the ideas, CG I did not even think of the repercussions of cutting threads into the barrel as regards value it only cost £150 stg.
    I may just shoot it as it comes with iron sights for a while until I get accustomed to it.
    I live in W. Cork so noise is not a big issue but a quiet gun sometimes bags many more bunnies.
    Lots of info here, Thanks very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Mufflets

I have to agree with cg here, have seen two Anschutzs with seriously degraded accuracy after being screw cut. i wouldnt chance it if i had an anschutz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

The SAK are a great moderator - the newer model does away with the grub screws so is a bit easier to take apart.

There is a shorter rimmy moderator being made - of the reflex type - it was on a UK site I came accross once and haven't been able to find since :mad:
    It was specifically for rimfire - anyone any ideas what it was?
    I'll go through my bookmarks today to try and find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

on the whole .22lr thing. I am strongly considering getting one. I have a PCP air rifle and a .223 but I need an in between gun.

The air rifle is ideal for hide work around farm yards etc but no good in an open field. Then the .223 while great for the fox is a little bit of over kill for the closer range small vermin.

So I am thinking a CZ bolt action with silencer/suppressor/moderator. Any suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I had a CZ .22WMR and got rid of it, while a nice rifle it was quite expensive for ammo and had a much louder report than the .22lr.
    Maybe I should have looked into getting a suppressor for it?

For those with 22WMR and are put out by ammo price,there are adapters made that will take 22lr and allow it to be fired in a 22wmr,even bolt actions.
    They are made in the USA[where else] and look like thin walled brass tubes.Slip a 22lr into them load in mag and away you go.Only thing is;you want to be using them just for hunting or slow fire,where you can recover the adapters,although they are cheap[paid 20usd for 6 adapters ].And if your gun is old and a bit sloppy in the action,I would recommend shooting glasses,as there is a chance of powder burn back in any gap between breech and bolt face.Other side benefit,is a 22lr fired in the WMR is remarkably quiet,so depending on ammo,you might not even need a silencer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

CJhaughey wrote:
    I live in W. Cork

Then Jeffers in Bandon is your man....... I do all my "shopping" there....

TJ911...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

there is nothing cheaper than free

I already have a logun silencer for my air rifle does anyone know if it would be effective on a .22lr

http://www.logun.com/products.asp?P_ID=22

If it is for a 22cal air rifle...yes.
    But it will proably invalidate the warrenty if it was sold to you as an air rifle silencer,and dont blame me if it blows up due thru mis alingement or what not.:eek:
    By rights the PH silencer for 22 air rifles is the exact same as for 22lr rifles.
    Just that in the UK it needs a FAC to buy for 22lr and ASFIK be proof housed for 22lr use.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Mezamo

Hi CJ,
    I got a parker Hale silencer for my CZ on this site.

www.thegungallery.ie

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Mez.:)

Advertisement