Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equal rights for women, not preferential treatment

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Nearly half of undergraduate science and engineering degrees are earned by women

Having been in a computer science course, I can say with absolute certainty that this "nearly" is c*ck. There were 4 women in my class in college. The class total was around 35. I know that it's a small sample size, but the same applied to my last job (1 female / 5 males in the software engineering department) and my current job (0 female software engineers, around 20 male).

What also has to be taken into consideration is that more women /do/ want to stay at home. My own wife is an example. She has a diploma in computer science, but /wants/ to stay at home with our children (and does so).

I think men and women are just wired differently. All you need do is look at the male / female ratio on the computers forum for example. Women just don't find technology as exciting as men do. Maybe it's seen as a mens thing because men just enjoy it more.
    he has the choice as much as she does

I disagree with this. Rightly or wrongly, the number of women willing to work while their husband / male partner is at home with the children is surely lower than the number of men willing to support their wife / female partner in the housewife role. I have no numbers to back this up. It just doesn't sound right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

That may be the case in Ireland but those stats dont reflect strictly Irish women.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Khannie wrote:
    Having been in a computer science course, I can say with absolute certainty that this "nearly" is c*ck.

You know, life sciences, chemistry etc are just as much "science" as the (apparently) sausage-fests that are computer "science", engineering etc...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

fly_agaric wrote:
    Okay - a misunderstanding. You were just saying that the causes/origins of any gap were not in the universities themselves [although, perhaps admitting more mature students outside of the CAO/points race might help??].
    I thought you were actually denying the existence of a gap whatever its' causes.

Yup that was exactly what I was trying to say.
    I was trying to make the point that when someone says females do better then males because
    a) they get better leaving cert results
    b) more of them end up with degrees
    c) they get better jobs because more of them end up going into the big four accountancies AND
    d) there are more of them passing the FE1's

that these all stem from the same origin - they do better in the leaving cert.

As for the idea of taking in more mature students - I don't know. Maybe it would work. I mean assuming that the average male doesn't do as well as the average female in the leaving cert and therefore some of them don't make it into college - will they return 3/4 years later given the oppertunity?

Maybe, but the people not making it in are likely to be those who would have ended up at the lower end of their classes in college anyway - serious thought needs to be put into it at a government level I would think - but I suspect the answer lies in technical and regional colleges rather then university.

Advertisement