Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

uh-oh... windows XP recovery

Options
  • 07-03-2007 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭

ok so my brother crashed the PC the other night, to which my dad did a recovery. All my files are there, loaded up bf2 from the folder (using special forces as the boot disc, since my bf2 disc is cracked) and it works fine. all i had to do was patch. so i got the patch, but it can't find the file. looks like all the files are there, but it's not in the registry...

the simple fix (like all my other games and software), is to re-install. can't do that with a cracked disc though! has ANYONE got a solution, that doesn't involve buying a new copy of the game?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

Unfortunately unless you have an old copy of your registry theres not much you can do, the serial numbers are encoded within the registry so you cant import anyone else's data.

Im just wondering though, and I might be way off on this, does EA Link (which ive never used) operate like steam? Can you enter your Battlefield 2 serial into it thus verifying you own the game and then proceed to download the full game?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

No, you can't download BF2 via EA Link.

F:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\Support\Battlefield 2_code.exe

Use this program to re-enter your BF2 cd-key (if that's all you need). If you need more than I'll give you an extraction of my 'Battlefield 2' registry tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

To the risk of earning myself a flaming and a ban, just download an ISO and use your legit key during install, should work - did for me, I installed BF2 on my D600 from "an" ISO using daemon tools and my legit key, because the lappie would continually crash the install (and the 1.41 patching) if I used the physical DVD in the drive... go figure why :confused:

At the end of the day, what you have paid good money for in the shop is the key on the box, the DVD inside is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Ponster wrote:
    No, you can't download BF2 via EA Link.

F:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\Support\Battlefield 2_code.exe

Use this program to re-enter your BF2 cd-key (if that's all you need). If you need more than I'll give you an extraction of my 'Battlefield 2' registry tree.

appreciate the tip, didn't work (though no doubt that'll come in handy at a later stage)...
    ambro25 wrote:
    To the risk of earning myself a flaming and a ban, just download an ISO and use your legit key during install, should work - did for me, I installed BF2 on my D600 from "an" ISO using daemon tools and my legit key, because the lappie would continually crash the install (and the 1.41 patching) if I used the physical DVD in the drive... go figure why :confused:

At the end of the day, what you have paid good money for in the shop is the key on the box, the DVD inside is the same.

ended up having to do this unfortunately. it's a pity EA don't use EA Downloader to full effect a-la steam...

Advertisement