Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor

Options
  • 07-03-2007 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭

Right, I am looking for a 19" Flat Panel monitor.

I am not a hard-core gamer or anything but I might pick up CS Source. I play WoW very little and Football Manager which doesn't require graphics or anything.

I might, however, be playing my 360 through my monitor. So, I don't know whether that affects it.

There is one in Lidl tomorrow which I am interested in.LINKI'm not sure if that's any good or not to be honest. DVI seems to be the demanded one, and this one has that. Does DVI have better quality than VGA?

I have €200 to spend. Would be handy to pick up in Lidl tomorrow instead of getting on the net, so that's a reason I'm leaning to that one.

It's got 5ms response times, I know people talk about these in relation to monitors. Seems to be quite average, 5.

Anyway, Help please.

Appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

If you are going to be using your Xbox 360 with it go widescreen if you can.

The Lidl display isn't a bad one but for €203 you could get this 19" LG the specifications are similar enough but it's wide which makes a big difference to console games & regular PC usage as well.

It comes with VGA and DVI so you can plug the Xbox into the VGA port and the PC into the DVI port. DVI does in general offer better picture quality than VGA though VGA quality is largely dependant on the quality of the electronics used so it can match DVI in some cases. Anyway it will look good with the PC on it, note you cannot use the Xbox 360 with DVI it is not compatible (at least not without buying a very expensive signal converter).

I should point out that the Xbox 360 does not support the native resolution of the wide screen display (1440x900) or most computer wide screen displays for that matter so 1280x720 (720p) is the best you will get, running at non-native means the picture wont be at it's sharpest but I think the wide aspect is worth the trade off. The Lidl display is not wide but the native 1280x1024 resolution is supported by the Xbox 360 so it's your call. The PC supports all resolutions so that doesn't matter either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Ah, I've never used a widescreen before. I saw one but I didn't really like it.

My main problem with getting that LG is that they aren't in stock at the moment. That would mean that I'd be waiting around 2/3 weeks for it to be delivered.

Although, I've heard widescreen are much better.

I'm growing impatient though, I've had this new pc for a week and I haven't been able to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,091 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I couldnt comment on that model; Aldi had one in october that was decent. It works good for me. Im told theres a significant difference in response blah blah blah between DVI and AGP but with a €10 converter you can get it to run off of either.

Widescreen might be the way to go though; bit more multi-task room. course I dont have that problem cos I dual-screen with my old CRT :D

EDIT: just because you think Dual-screens are unnecessay does not make it so....my brother in the states complained of having 4 different chat programs (and more windows) open at the same time, then I sent him a pic of my setup; he spent the rest of the night dusting off is old monitor :D

I think I'll get the lidl monitor.

I don't multi task that much to be honest, and I'm fine with the normal monitor I use on the shared pc.

Thanks for the replies guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Hakzor

I think the lidl one will do the job for you, how much is it btw?

• Advertisement

€200

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Try www.hardwareversand.de
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/8VMabmC6_Eh0rU/2/articledetail.jsp?aid=8806&agid=292 this monitor is same spec as the lidl one accept it's widescreen and 20 quid cheaper when you add postage. Or take your pick from any of there selection and save your self a bucket. only downside to these guys is you have to pay by bank transfer and the postage is mandatory €20 pluss a lil bit depending on weight but it still works out WAY cheaper than any other store. seriously you cannot find stuff cheaper any where and it's the same stuff. I've had stuff delivered from Germany and it only took about a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

One other option is this Acer widescreen it is in stock and is a good quality budget display.

The catch is that it has only one VGA input but with a 2 port VGA switch you can share the VGA input between the PC and Xbox 360. User review on Komplett UK says no quality issues with the switch works fine for the same tasks as you PC & Xbox.

Advertisement