Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hehe, 19th Century American Literature too

Options
  • 07-03-2007 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

What do you recommend? I wish to start reading some soon and would appreciate a 'must read' list. Perhaps I'll start with Moby Dick...:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Madame Bovary
    Far from The Madding Crowd or Tess Thomas Hardy - not everyone's cup of tea but a personal favourite of mine
    Great Expectations - a very good Dickens to start with

A lot of these classics tend to come in cheaper versions , under €5.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

What part of the US was Dickens from again? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

It is 19the century American literature you're looking to read, I don't know that much, but the short stories by Herman Merville are brilliant, Edgar Allen Poe, I think Nathianal Hawthorne is American, and of course Mark Twain, you definately have to read his stuff. If you are really interested in the foundations of American literature, you can get the norton anthology of american literature, it has passages from the early american founders (william bradford, etc) covers native american writings, slave narritives, puritan writings, and as such you can link the beginnings of american culture to their writings.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

John wrote:
    What part of the US was Dickens from again? ;)
    Well he toured there. Emm ....... regularly and wrote about it :o. RTFM :D

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

is_that_so wrote:
    Well he toured there. Emm ....... regularly and write about it :o. RTFM :D

Also Flaubert and Hardy ... I didn't realise they were American :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

McGinty wrote:
    . If you are really interested in the foundations of American literature, you can get the norton anthology of american literature, it has passages from the early american founders (william bradford, etc) covers native american writings, slave narritives, puritan writings, and as such you can link the beginnings of american culture to their writings.

That sounds like what I'm looking for, ta :)

Advertisement