Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mid-Life Career Crisis

Options
  • 07-03-2007 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi All, well this is my first post on oards but i have been visiting for a while now, I am thinking of changing careers to the IT sector, My missus is a network planning analyst / firewall security / cisco etc. So i would like to study up to complement these qualifications. We would like to start our own it consulting firm, dealing mainly with networking and security. I want to go more hardware/networking. any advice about which courses i should take to get decently qualified and which courses to start on first. I have no formal IT qualifications as of yet and i have a gamers knowledge of Pc's and software.
    Any help or advice would be much appreciated

P.s. any advice on distance learning institutions would also be great!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Maybe try an A+ Computer Maintenance course first. Your goal should be to reach a level where you can complete the MCSA and MCSE courses (Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator/Engineer). Remember though, that a lot of experience in the IT sector takes years to develop. Books and courses can only teach you so much...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bravo2zero

Thanx darkJager...... also for the heads up, i know experience counts for a lot, im lucky in that i have a good knowledge base in my girlfreind though, she was lucky enough to get good experience with vodafone and the likes using cisco/checkoint and the likes, so im hoping to benifit from that.

Advertisement