Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi Drivers

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I used taxis a lot when in Dublin and found them great. I keep an eye on the meter and I know what to expect - I have yet to be over charged or ripped off. Iv met some lovely taxi drivers and then some odd ones. But you get that in all walks of life, so we cant bash taxis just for that! :) The little I used them in Waterford, I have found the same.

As regards to increases, with the way the economy is and fuel prices - I can hardly blame an increase.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

shinzon wrote: »
    and what with the price rises just announced the thieving will get beyond a joke not that it isnt that already, either that or people will not use taxis and just use hackneys when necessary

Shin

Shin at this stage given the amount of mopney you put into taxi's getting to work etc, you might be better off with a small car surely? :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I too use Taxis a fair amount in Dublin and Waterford, like a few have said, there are some genuinely decent hard working guys out there who are taxi drivers and are both Irish and foreign nationals.. but I have come across some right psychos and scumbags who also work in that game..

One in particular tried to rip me off one night a few years back, he realised I had a few drinks in me, so when changing gear he continually kept pressing a button on the meter to increase the fair, I copped it almost immediately and after the 3rd of 4th time of doing it, I asked him where the nearest garda station was, he asked why, I said very calmly that I'd just like to report him for trying to rip me off by messing with the meter when driving..

The look on his face was priceless.. so we came to an agreement, he'd stop the meter there and then, drop me the rest of the way home for whatever pops up on the meter and I wouldnt report him.. he did and I made sure to get him to drop me at the end of the estate as I didnt want the scumbag knowing where I lived.. then I got out, waited till he left and gave a nice big wave and smile when he was driving off.. Saved myself about €10 off the fare too :D:D

Tox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

not to get offtopic but it then angers me when we have threads in after hours saying "should taxi drivers be tipped?!" WTF like?!

But yes like i said before the vast majority ive found to be v helpful, but i think when u do come across a bad egg it tends to stick in ur mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Cabaal wrote: »
    Shin at this stage given the amount of mopney you put into taxi's getting to work etc, you might be better off with a small car surely? :)

dude its me i wouldnt trust myself opening the door never mind starting the engine :eek:

shin

• Advertisement
Advertisement