Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History regrets

Options
  • 07-03-2007 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Anyone else think that picking history was one of their biggest mistakes ever and regret it wholely!?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Every....single....day:o

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Not in the slightest. My teacher claims I can get full marks from my project, and in exams, I tend to remember more than I actually think I know. So combine it with a bit of studying, and I might actually end up doing quite well. Im hoping for a B3 the Mocks, which I thought near-impossible, but I actually remembered stuff I hadnt looked at in over a year. Fair enough, I can understand why people hate it, what with all the rote-learning involved, but I wont complain just yet if I do well:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Last year the average mark from the Special Topic Project was 89/100. This means that most students had already obtained close to 20% before sitting their actual exam. If you put the effort into your special topic and learn the basic points of the course then you shouldn't have a problem with failing. Of course if you are hoping for an easy A then History really isn't the subject that you should have chosen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

sure,its a huge course, and there is a lot to learn, but if ya just divide it up into bits, take each as it comes, ull be ok. By no means is it an easy A, its a tough course with an even tougher exam but its doable. Though I would agree its the best example of everything a leaving cert chould be
    rote learning. But hey, has to be done. I also think it takes a certain type of student to do well...you're either crap, average or amazing...cant really be in between!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Laurielou

Well im by no means looking for an easy A, but all of my class find it really difficult to obtain As even in class tests! I dont know, i mean i love the subject and i love my special topic...but the rest im slightly dubious about....and correct me if im wrong but is average not in between???

• Advertisement

lilmizzme wrote:
    sure,its a huge course, and there is a lot to learn, but if ya just divide it up into bits, take each as it comes, ull be ok. By no means is it an easy A, its a tough course with an even tougher exam but its doable. Though I would agree its the best example of everything a leaving cert chould be
    rote learning. But hey, has to be done. I also think it takes a certain type of student to do well...you're either crap, average or amazing...cant really be in between!

No, I can understand your approach but I think the course is still a joke.
    If you have a photographic memory, and dont like questioning or reasoning with what is presented in front of you, you will more than likely be a great "Historian" in the context of the LC.

Laurielou wrote:
    correct me if im wrong but is average not in between???

Well it describes the central location of Data so I guess your correct, although the standard deviation could be described as in between if misinterpeted.

Note to future LC students: do NOT pick history, your time and energy could be expended on an "easier" or "handier" subject, namely Business:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I was going to take History. I'm very glad now I didn't. I took biology instead.

Note to future LC students: do NOT pick history, your time and energy could be expended on an "easier" or "handier" subject, namely Business

Well then, guesss I'd advise people to take Ord. Level Maths then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

For me it was probably a stupid idea to choose it along with other subjects with huge course, Biology and Geography. We're having our projects written up and sealed into the envelopes by the end of March..getting a bit panicky.

I got 68% in the mocks, and it was marked very hard- highest was 72% in the year. My project kicks ass. Confident in shoving the grade up to an A2/A1.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

However the project is very easy marks wise,and certainly the actual exam is not as bad as hon English or even Business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

It's easy if you do the work.
    I've a choice between that an chemistry :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

I absolutely loathed history up until around October. My prospects were fairly low but now I've taken a more optimistic view. I've finally come across sections of the course that are somewhat easy to absorb (Propoganda, Anti-Semitism, Women in WW1, Anglo-American Popular Culture, Artists of the 20th century for instance) and its a subject that certainly seems to reward rote-learning off so that could work to my favour.
    As it stands I'm working hard at the subject, by which I mean I'm studying certain sections inside out and ignoring the less important/unfavourable ones. I'm not sure how well this method will work out. Mock paper is coming up next week so I'll see how that goes and then judge from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 rorymcn

Oh my god, this post is how I feel about this subject everyday of my life. I'm not anticipating finishing the Leaving Cert, I'm looking forward to finishing History.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Coming up to June last year, I think most of our History class were wishing they had taken something else instead (myself included). But I think this was just exam pressure getting to us, needing to get a certain amount of points out of the subject.

By the time the results were out, there was a pile of A's in the class (about half) and looking back, I probably enjoyed History the most of all my subjects. History may not be an esay subject, but if you have a genuine interest in it, you will enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Taffy89

I really love history, I think its probably one of the only subjects that you will use outside of school in everyday chats and news and in books, films etc.

In saying that though the course is awful, more demanding than English, I wrote more pages in my history 2 hours 50 mins than my English £ hours and 20 minutes.

Last year i was failing, I hadn't grasped the concept of learning it.. eg. If the story was(obviously this isn't a real history example!!) "The man walked into the room, took out a gun, and shot the gut then went to London to hide" i would HAVE to remember it in word for word order..if I forgot something that wa it I was screwed there was no way i could think logically to oh yeah well if he took out a gun he obviously shot someone. Id be blank!!

Now I just focus on learning it as a story and then adding dates names figures etc later!
    And it got me my A1 in the pre's!! we also have a class teacher, id say 50 % of it depends on the teacher!!

^^An A1 in the pre's...I salute you! If I get somewhere in the B's, I will be delighted. Its also better, cos the others doing honours in my class normally do better essays(ie. about 10 paragraphs), then can never repeat them in exams, get flustered, and end up with not great marks. Got a B2 in Christmas, so if I got that again, I'd be aiming high for the LC then. I'm surprised at myself though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 interpolian

100% worst descision i ever made, I got an A in the junior cert but havent got more than a D in the past 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

I actually like history but i hate the teacher.I got a b3 in my mocks which I couldnt beleive and Ive finished my project!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Naikon wrote:
    No, I can understand your approach but I think the course is still a joke.
    If you have a photographic memory, and dont like questioning or reasoning with what is presented in front of you, you will more than likely be a great "Historian" in the context of the LC.
    How would you examine history? And 160 out of 400 marks, 40% of the course is based on analysing documents and doing your research study, not rote learning.

A historian is someone who knows a lot about history. A big part of knowing a lot about history is learning facts off by studying them.

Calling the LC or one of its subjects "a joke" is done far too often these days.

History isn't as bad as it seems. It can be time consuming, but a lot of it is very interesting.

JC2K3 wrote:
    And 160 out of 400 marks, 40% of the course

didnt you say Honours Maths was one of the easiest subjects you did:p

It's 500, isn't it....

My maths were right, however....

in any case, 160/500 = 32%

Nah, I know where you are coming from but the History course is......Flawed.
    Its Strange how I dont feel the same about any other LC subject.

I know historical subject matter requires memorisation to a certain extent, but I feel like a zombie studying History and I was once the "better" student at history but now I absolutely despise the Course:mad:

Still, anyone deciding to pick History consider this: I got a B in hons history in the JC and thought I liked History, but what was one of my "better" subjects is now my worst in comparison to my decent but modest results in other subjects like English for Example.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

i really regret it! i do like the subject but i took it along with biology and chemistry so its just frickin exhausting! my teacher was out for 3months too and now that she's back she's gone psycho bitch hell bent on the gettin the course finished as quick as possible and tryin to drag special topics out of us! she's a brilliant teacher like but im actually scared of goin to class now cos im so disorganised generally!!! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

My teacher is the smartest man in the world but i sware you would not think with his relaxed attidude that we have yet to finish the coarse, in two years I never once got homework in histoire

JC2K3 wrote:
    It's 500, isn't it....

Yeah, but you said 400 in that post I quoted! Its 400 in the exam in June, 100 available from the Special Topic. Plus the document is 100 points of that, not 160.

Couldnt believe it, went back in today, first time since mid-term, and the research topic has to be tweaked a bit. Its changed since I last handed something up(day before mid-term), so I've to change the Review, Outline plan & evaluation...just when I thought it was all perfect!

Mushy wrote:
    Yeah, but you said 400 in that post I quoted! Its 400 in the exam in June, 100 available from the Special Topic.
    Yes..... hence my correction....
    Mushy wrote:
    Plus the document is 100 points of that, not 160.
    40 marks are the context question which is unrelated to the document.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭blondie07

Most definately the worst subject i cud have picked. i do like it and i like my special topic but there is just too much learning. im also doing geography and biology so the learning work is just massive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 eily

ok guys its unanimous that the course is hell but at this stage with 8 weeks left what can we do only make an educated guess... we're being told nazi prop, ff, gaa, and serbia... i got 100 in my propaganda essay in the mock but its not good...i just had like half an hour left over cos my soverignty essay was non existant.. my paragraphs were like 5's and 4's but they added up when there was 5 million of them! wont work on the day though when hopefully ill be actually able to attempt every essay ha!

Advertisement