Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A+ Distance learning

• 07-03-2007 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭

Ok, im thinking of doing A+ and was looking into distance learning courses. I know i will need a lot of self motivation to put the hours in, but that does not bother me.

I know www.fas.ie offer A+ distance learning, but i was wondering if there was anywhere else who offered the course or if you could recommend somewere for me?

If you have done A+ or any distance learning course online, id like to know the in's and outs of what was involved.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I learned mine through the A+ for dummies book (I'm sure there are many better ones out there) and various web resources (I can't remember any of them now but will try and remember) and passed last year but they have updated the material since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

I'm back looking for more advice.

I was going to do the A+ course followed by N+. The plan was to then get a job as a network admin and go from there. I've been thinking that maybe id be better off going straight in and doing N+.

I dont know what course do or where to start and im hopeing other members can give me some sound advice as im stuck in a rut at the moment. I applied do to the A+ but something personal came up which forced me to cancel. The college wanted me to go in for a chat so they could talk about the course content and what direction i was looking to go, basically if A+ was for the course me or not.

I would really like for someone who could point me in the right direction, thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Barlow07 wrote:

I was going to do the A+ course followed by N+. The plan was to then get a job as a network admin and go from there.

The NET+ is a good course but it will not set you up for an admin job. It's a great starter for helpdesk or level 1 network support but administration takes a lot more experience and knowledge. Do the A+, then NET+ (Security+ is also a great infosec starter) with these you can land a starter network support position and then work your way up. I'm not trying to discourage you, just warn that it won't be as easy or quick as you think.

EDIT: If you have any PC support experience, even decent personal tinkering, you could try self-study. The A+ is an entry level course and is quite doable on your own if you even have a single PC to play around with for testing.

_CreeD_ wrote:
    The NET+ is a good course but it will not set you up for an admin job. It's a great starter for helpdesk or level 1 network support but administration takes a lot more experience and knowledge. Do the A+, then NET+ (Security+ is also a great infosec starter) with these you can land a starter network support position and then work your way up. I'm not trying to discourage you, just warn that it won't be as easy or quick as you think.

EDIT: If you have any PC support experience, even decent personal tinkering, you could try self-study. The A+ is an entry level course and is quite doable on your own if you even have a single PC to play around with for testing.

I do have a Desktop alrite. I have some experience with computers. Id like to learn more about partitions and installing windows. I like your advice, going to be a slow process though. I probably will do A+ as i think i could probably get a job and experience while i do N+ and then think about security side. I would find that interesting.

Thanks.
    I presume you work in the IT industry or have done some IT courses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Started in call center about 11 years ago now :), we all do our time in the trenches. Though I had plenty of varied experience I recently found getting a salaried position (I live in the states at the mo.) pretty hard after coming off a few years of contracting so I started doing some certs 18 months ago. The truth is you need both certifications and experience to get a decent job. Having one or the other will help when you're applying for a position but both together is gold. I'd done mostly hardware/software support and software integration for years and some network admin. but wanted to move to the engineering side, did the Net+/Sec+/CCNA and figured I could walk into an Engineer position...no....The further up the ladder you try to go the less tolerant they are of having someone who may have the paper but not the proven experience. I had to basically study to overkill to get a break into that side of support...so like I said I wasn't trying to discourage you, you need a lot to balance out a lack of experience in any one area. But once you do get that break then do everything you can to be in a position to catch the next break that comes along. If you start on helpdesk chat to the network guys, just banter about network technologies and let them know you're studying it, next time they need some help you'll be the one they call...next time they have an opening you've already got your foot in the door and so on.

There are 2 major sides to Networking, Administration (Server work) and Engineering (backbone: Routing,Switching,VPNs,Firewalls,IPS etc.) While you don't have to make a decision now always be thinking about which way you want to go. Personally I prefer the engineering side though I do a lot of Windows Admin. work too. From a certification point of view you can go further with Engineering as there's nothing really touches the CCIE for prestige or earning power (Though MSoft are trying to change that with the MCA), still it's important to go with what you enjoy. If you go the Admin side then A+,Net+.MCP/MCSA/MCSE is the way to go. For Engineering NET+/CCNA/CCSP-CCNP/CCIE is the most common (doing Sec+ early on really helps if you do the CCSP). Finished the CCSP myself a few months back and am about to finally get the MCSE done...then (gulp) take a stab at the CCIE, though I keep putting it off;).

Babbling. Need more coffee. Anyway hope some of that helps. And good luck.

• Advertisement

I didn't want to start another thread as its a pointless and taking up space.

I'm hoping to start a IT course and was thinking of applying to New Horizons Computer Learning Center.

I was just wanted some opnions or if anyone has done any courses there and what there thoughts where ( good or Bad ) :o

I've being searching everywhere for this course and it only seems to be over distance learning which is not really what i want to do. I would prefer to go on the course twice a night durning the week. Anyone able to help me please. I checked with Horizons and was told all about, but it seems very expensive for something that everyone says you get through distance learning.

help please :confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,048 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Network + is theory based so you can learn it easily enough from a book - I would save your money for a more complex course that you would need somebody explaining to you or even skip Net+ and go straight to CCNA. Have you looked into videos at all like cbt nuggets? I'm using at the moment for mcsa/mcse and find them pretty good. I use CBT/MS Books and Test Sims for studying. If you try to alot a certain time or give yourself rewards eg watch a dvd etc for say doing a chapter I find it helps to dicipline myself into getting the work done.

Advertisement