Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Rural Galway? Need it soon(ish)

Options
  • 07-03-2007 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

My uncle needs a broadband connection installed in a holiday home in semi-rural Galway before the summer. It's unlikely that it will be used all year; but will probably see some heavy use between June-August. The house is empty atm., so installation can't require someone to be there.

Any recommendations?

I've a few questions before I get back to him with advice;

- Is IBB Ripwave available? (This strikes me as the easiest to install etc. and there's no 12-month contract)

- Am I right in thinking that (despite everything else) Eircom is probably the best bet for a hassle-free and quick install.

- Of eircom fails him on a line-check, what other options are available?

Thanks for any replies! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

Where excatly is semi-rural Galway,
    Ripwave or any of those portable untils hardly work out where your uncles holiday home is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Jim_No.6

Well as far as I'm aware, the transmitters for them have a pretty impressive range - do you have any experience using them? Where?

As far as where the house is, I'm not sure; only that it's not in the city centre!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Ripwave less than 5km?

perhaps a 3G datacard?

watty wrote:
    Ripwave less than 5km?

perhaps a 3G datacard?

What's the 3G rollout like in Galway at the moment? I agree that this is an excellent suggestion if it were in Dublin.

Also; is there a deal available (with Vodafone or others) that doesn't involve a year-long contract? {To my knowledge, there isn't}

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

If its a holiday home, then its probably out in connemara , loads of them out there.

I'm moving to oughterard in a month or so, and there are no wireless options available, only dsl. and withthat you need to be near enough to either clifden or oughterard. ( not sure how near, anyone?)

Don't think there is any wireless available not on that side anyway. There is wireless available outside of claregalway ( bout 5 miles outside)with irish broadband.

Failing all that you could go with irishwan, you won't be downloading torrents as the internet is severely throttled and you would have to have a fair bit of tech knowledge as you may be expected to put up a mast as a host, or something, not too sure of the arrangement there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

You really need to find out where the house is located. Otherwise any suggestions will be pure guess work and won't get you very far.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

Jim_No.6 wrote:

- Is IBB Ripwave available? (This strikes me as the easiest to install etc. and there's no 12-month contract)

No RipWave in rural Galway, only Breeze, which is a contract & too expensive for intermittent use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Try these lads - http://www.airwire.ie/
    thegills

Well, he still hasn't gotten back to me with an address - thanks for the advise though!

Advertisement