Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony unveils 'Home' for PS3

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Nobody's really mentioned the most disgusting aspect of it either: Harrison's glea in pointing out that almost any surface can be turned into a billboard for an advertisement, or that to buy a bigger apartment or whatever, they'll be extorting real money from you! :)

Well, taking the public space they showed as an example, the level of advertising there was quite acceptable. It's open to abuse by third parties in their own spaces, but they'll quickly realise that a space overwhelmed by advertising will not be a popular one. Remember, you don't have to go to any particular space - like those 'popular coffee shop' spaces ;) You'd only go there if you wanted, if they were offering something interesting.

To use an analogy, a company could make a webpage just pumped with advertising, but they don't, because they know it drives people away. Same will principle will apply here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

The advertising keeps it free though, so for the sake of lookin at the odd ad we get this for free. Not a bad trade in my view.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Slurms wrote:
    The advertising keeps it free though, so for the sake of lookin at the odd ad we get this for free. Not a bad trade in my view.

Well, I don't think its solely the advertising that will keep the service free and as I said in my first post (you missed that too Nekkid!), there is the possibility that anyone without a credit card won't actually experience the unique aspects of the whole concept.

The basic service is free, yes, but to actually do anything (or at least most things) worthwhile in it, you seem to need to spend real money.

I got that feeling when I tried Second Life out, and I can't see this being any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

The first customer signs up

pgaddy715880al0.th.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

It looks interesting but I don't like the advertising idea's mentioned above. I'm sure it'll be fine in the end but a lot of the services won't be that popular if you have to pay per use and it ends up being expensive overall if you use a lot of the services.

If they go down that road, I don't think it will be as popular as Xbox Live which just has a 50 Euro fee and thats it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement