Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dublin

Options
  • 07-03-2007 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hey All
    I am currently looking at movin to Dublin City. My preferred area would be Dublin 7 . Can anyone recommend a good site for accomatation. Plz don't say Daft ..... been there done that. Because I am moving up on my own I'd be looking to share. Here in Galway when u want accomadation you look in the Galway Advertiser. Is there a Dublin Equivalant? I hope someone can give me some advice. its really scary to move to a new city on your own at least hopefully i can get a sweet pad.:) :):):):):):):):)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Hey Buttercup,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but daft is probably your best option. It has the most up to date and most trust worthy info.

Dublin is a nice town, but its big and mean sometimes. As for finding a sweet pad, hope you have big money to pay for it!!

Good luck with the move!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

You could try the Evening Herald but as previous poster said, Daft's your best option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

Hate telling u but DAFT definately is your best option. D7 great choice though as close to town as the usual haunt Rathmines, but cheaper rent!! ALso loads of new pubs and stuff opening in Smithfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

hey buttercup,
    yea was in same situation as you before. daft is the only option im afraid. when i was looking i made the mistake of just comin up for a day say and tryin to see as many as possible. it was a nightmare cos not everyone wants to show you round beofre 7pm so if you can sort out somewhere to stay for the nite or two and you can view alot more places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Hey Buttecup

I hate to be the bearer of bad news here but Dublin 7 is a kip with HIGH crime. I know this from all too much personal experience. I suggest you move to Rathmines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

dusf wrote:
    Hey Buttecup

I hate to be the bearer of bad news here but Dublin 7 is a kip with HIGH crime. I know this from all too much personal experience. I suggest you move to Rathmines.

Example? Everywhere in Dublin and Ireland has crime.

Dublin 7 is a large enough area. It's not all a kip.

Cars broken into, stolen, there windows smashed in, doors pulled back, side mirros kicked off, windows of houses smashed, people mugged, junkies everywhere, alcoholics down the lanes etc etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

dusf wrote:
    Cars broken into, stolen, there windows smashed in, doors pulled back, side mirros kicked off, windows of houses smashed, people mugged, junkies everywhere, alcoholics down the lanes etc etc etc.

Yeah that sounds like Rathmines alright.:D

DAFT is your best bet Buttercup.

For publications go with Buy&Sell or the Newspapers.

I hear the property section of the Herald is good on a Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

dusf wrote:
    Is that not just a rephrasing of 'The Message' by Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Check out the NCAD notice boards. Not so much now but from 16th April check it and also the Student's Union. Places in D7 are constantly being advertised there. Loads of NCAD students live there.
    dusf wrote:
    Rathmines is often not that different. I live here.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

dusf wrote:

that describes rathmines just as well as dublin 7..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Rathmines is a grand area.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Rathmines is a grand area.

not saying it isn't just that bad things happen in all areas and D7 is not really any worse than rathmines. I remember the long running thread on car door windows been kicked off in Rathmines on here for instance..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

dusf wrote:

Im sorry but what is this based on? D7 has changed a lot in the past 10 years and I haved lived there and the only one I have experienced is the alcoholics in a lane, but the majority of lanes in D7 have been closed off so the majority of people I used to see I now see in town and there too drunk to harm anyone but themselves. D7 also covers a huge area- phibsboro, smithfield, around capel street cabra and parts of navan road so which part are you referring to exactly? I would recommend anyone to live in D7, though I would suggest not phibsboro.

Also two of my friends were mugged in rathmines, doesnt mean its a bad area. It happens everywhere in this city if youre not careful enough!

dusf wrote:

I was looking for an example of a particular area in D7. It covers a big enough area.

Arbour Hill, Broadstone, Cabra, Phibsboro, Smithfield, Stoneybatter, and Four Courts.

dusf wrote:
    Arbour Hill, Broadstone, Cabra, Phibsboro, Smithfield, Stoneybatter, and Four Courts.

So thats the bad. What about the Navan Road, Villa Park, Ashington, Kinvara, Riverston Abbey, Glendue, Kempton, and Ashtown ?

Most people probably never heard of them because they're not "bad" areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Ylka

Hi everyone! Could you tell me good place for living with the kids ( parks, schools around). I know that the south of Dublin is very good but very expencive. I heard than North more criminal.... What about outside of Dublin? like Lucan, Maynooth?????:confused::confused::confused:

In ideal would be play ground, park ....school, creche...around...shopping centre not too fare away...sport club and a few options to go to centre ( bus...train...Luas...)

So, is it any ideas????

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

Ylka wrote:
    In ideal would be play ground, park ....school, creche...around...shopping centre not too fare away...sport club and a few options to go to centre ( bus...train...Luas...)

You're going to cringe but... I live in an estate called Larch Hill in Coolock and I love it. It's a private estate and thanks to some funny planning conditions, over one third of the estate is landscaped so there are huge amounts of green areas for kids to play on.

There are plenty of schools within walking distance (mostly in Beaumont). Northside, Omni (with an 11 screen cinema) and Artane (24 hour Tesco - yey) shopping centres are all within walking distance (or 5 mins drive). ALSAA and SportsLink sports centres are all quite close as well. Coolock Astropark and Northwood Gym are nearby. Santry Demesne is also 10 mins walk away.

There's a direct bus into town (27B, 35-40 mins at rush hour) and it's only a 10 minute walk to the Swords road (where there are loads of buses incl 16A, 41, 33 and 746) into the city centre and out to the airport). There's also an orbital bus (17A) that will bring you to to the Dart (or Swords Road if you're feeling lazy). If you're looking for the long term, Metro North will be located nearby although obviously not for another few years (/decades).

Yes there is crime in the area, but you'll find that in every city. Despite it's reputation, I've been living here for almost two years and I've never once seen anyone being shot - promise :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Ylka

markpbThank you very much!!!

Advertisement