Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is this not the coolest little car ever?

Options
  • 07-03-2007 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭

573664_20070115050151_1.jpg
    573664_20070115050157_2.jpg

Saab 96, 1972 on Carzone for 3250. Tempted? I am.
    1.5 litre V4. Weird - and Alfa 147-ish rear doors.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

That 1.5 V4 is actually an old Ford engine.
    The original Saabs had 3 cylinder two strokes, modelled after the German DKW engines.

On closer inspection you will find that it has no rear doors ...at all :D What looks like the Alfa-style handle is just a cabin vent.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

this pic of an older one, and the owners description led me to believe they were doors!
    1961saab96.jpg
    Still very cool though.

Even the (7 seater!) estate only ever had two doors ..they're just weird shaped panels that look like doors ..kinda ...

And yes ...I also think its a cool car :)

edit ..pic removed as way too big

I think I want one

(here's a better sized version of your pic)

saab96rp4.jpg

Join the club ...almost flew to Austria last year to look at a RHD V4 estate. Only the very dodgy sounding seller on the phone kept me from doing so.

Sometimes I still think I should have gone anyway

• Advertisement

they don't seem to be that troublesome. I presume parts may be a bit if hassle?

Should think so too. The last ones were built in the very late 70's afaik, so I'd think parts would be very much an enthusiast club affair by now...except for the engine maybe

The very last ones were a bit ugly with their safety bumpers, huge sidelights and yucky seventies colours

96.jpg
    SAAB~96~002.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

peasant wrote:
    The very last ones were a bit ugly with their safety bumpers, huge sidelights and yucky seventies colours

96.jpg
    SAAB~96~002.jpg

That front is very Austin Allegro.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Who wouldnt like a brown car? :)

Nothing says the 70's like a guy climbing out of a brown car in a pair of brown cords.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Stekelly wrote:
    Who wouldnt like a brown car? :)

Nothing says the 70's like a guy climbing out of a brown car in a pair of brown cords.:D

As long as the cords were brown when he climbed in. :eek:

Not your ornery onager

live rear axle'll do that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I've seen one or two around the Dublin area over the past few years. The most recent one was about a year ago on the M1, it passed us out at great speed, I couldn't believe how fast it was going. We tried to catch it in a BMW 316i and couldn't :eek:

I really doubt it had the original engine in it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

KTRIC wrote:
    I've seen one or two around the Dublin area over the past few years. The most recent one was about a year ago on the M1, it passed us out at great speed, I couldn't believe how fast it was going. We tried to catch it in a BMW 316i and couldn't :eek:

I really doubt it had the original engine in it ;)

The problem there was the 316 :D (couldn't help it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

jayok wrote:
    The problem there was the 316 :D (couldn't help it)

Yeah, yeah :rolleyes:

Left myself open for that one :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭AsphaltRisin'

I love those yokes, have so many childhood memories of them, my uncle Had 2 of them. A 2 door in a lovely greyish metallic colour and a bright orange (And very dodgy!!) estate. Were lovely cars, got to drive the 2 door once when i was 12. He still has that one in one of his sheds.

Must check up the classic insurance, I'm presuming it's cheap to insure being 1.5

Shouldn't you rather be thinking about getting this one?

valleymount134.jpg
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=447882

:D:D:p

Even as a Toyota head, I wouldn't buy that. Just doesnt do anything for me. The Saab is a lot more likeable IMHO. thats been on Carzone for around a year AFAIK also the mileage is a tad unlikely.

colm_mcm wrote:
    Must check up the classic insurance, I'm presuming it's cheap to insure being 1.5

Maybe able to get classic car insurance on it too.

• Advertisement

that's what I said?

colm_mcm wrote:
    that's what I said?

Sorry, I read it as tax. I had a blonde moment. :o

Advertisement