Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Annoying issue with wireless Laptop

• 07-03-2007 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

I have a Netgear wireless router connected to PC. I have just got laptop and want it to pick up signal from router.
    laptop sees Excellent Signal but will only connect after about the tenth attempt. When it connects its says its with Limited Connectivity which means no internet on laptop. Does this mean that only PC or laptop can be on at the same time. If so thats a bloody nuisance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

You usually get that 'limited connectivity' error when your PC can't get an IP address by DHCP. Make sure the DHCP server is enabled on your router.

Alternatively, specify a static IP address for your laptop. You'll need to open the connection's properties, choose static, enter the address. Set subnet to 255.255.255.0 and gateway to your router's IP address. Also, set DNS server to your router's IP address also, e.g. 192.168.1.1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

The PC is fine. Its the laptop thats getting the limited connectivity. Where do i need to change settings in the PC or laptop? How do I find the IP address of the router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

You will have to look at the manual or goolge the router to find its IP. You will need to connect to it with a cable. You should then be able to configure the wireless settings. There may also be a default password for the wireless connection check that too.

Default IPs on routers are usually like:

I need some expert advice here.
    My wireless modem/router is wired to my PC upstairs.
    The laptop is wireless. When I look for a wireless network on the laptop it finds 3 or 4 networks (neighbours?) the top one with Excelllent Signal is my Netgear upstairs. It won't connect and keeps offering help with poor signal networks. But this is not my problem. If I turn off upstairs PC the laptop has a better chance of connecting. Can only 1 be connected at a time. I thought they would share bandwidth. Is there some setting I need to change in the router?
    Driving me nuts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Both PC and laptop can be online at the same time no problem.

Your laptop needs an IP address to get on the network. I'm not using Windows ATM, so these steps aren't too accurate:
    1. Open the Control Panel
    2. Open up 'network connections' or similar
    3. You should see something called 'Local Area Connection 1'
    4. Right click this icon and choose Properties
    5. Choose to 'obtain an IP address automatically' for both the IP address and the DNS address
    6. When you find your network in the list of wireless networks, IIRC, there's a connect button or advanced button. You'll need to do this once to enter your router's encryption key you would have set up earlier [ideally WPA-PSK, not WEP]
    7. Your laptop should now connect. If it doesn't, it could be that the DHCP server on the router is off. This allocates IP addresses automatically to all devices trying to connect to the network. No two devices can use the same address.

• Advertisement

I changed the channel from 11 to 2 on the router and problem seems to be solved. Is this ok to do?

Advertisement