Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study Plan

Options
  • 07-03-2007 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

Anyone got one or know how to make a good one...all the teachers seem to say to make one but I am stumped as to how...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Ideally the best way would be to set a longterm goal for each subject and then make a weekly planner to help you achieve it. The longterm goal would be what topics you want to study and how indepth i.e a plan to help you achieve the grade you want.

My experience with this type of plan was a shortlived venture in 3rd year and for this year I've adapted a daily plan where I make out what I want to cover that day. While this is undoubtedly a very convenient system for me as it lets me choose how much I want to study depending on what sort of "mood" I'm in, I'm dubious as to it's academic merit and I could find myself floundering in a sea of uncovered topics on the run up to the Leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

You divide your day into segments (or divide a couple of hours or whatever) with breaks in between... there's debate as to how long each "segment" should be, half an hour, forty minutes.. just not a whole hour at a time I'd say. Breaks of 10 minutes I suppose, depending on how long your segment is.
    Anyway, then you deduce what you need to study (ie, "which subject am i doing the worst in/what section do i not understand/can't remember/what subject do I want to do particularly well in") and slot these topics/subjects/whatnot into your preplanned segments.
    That way you know exactly what you need to learn when you sit down to do it. Also, it is recommended that you also allocate some time for re-revising things you've studied to make sure they've sunk in. At least that's what they told us at a study seminar yoke at the start of the year.

I think.. that's what you were talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

What I did for LC was split the evening into non equal segments depending on subject and time already spent on it
    e.g.
    3:15-5:15 : homework
    5:30-6:15 : dinner & TV
    6:15-7:00 : maths Q
    7:05-8:00 : business short Q's and a long Q
    8:00-8:15 : break
    8:15-8:30 : revise x subject topic y

and so on until around 11:00 to 11:15

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

ninty9er wrote:
    What I did for LC was split the evening into non equal segments depending on subject and time already spent on it
    e.g.
    3:15-5:15 : homework
    5:30-6:15 : dinner & TV
    6:15-7:00 : maths Q
    7:05-8:00 : business short Q's and a long Q
    8:00-8:15 : break
    8:15-8:30 : revise x subject topic y

and so on until around 11:00 to 11:15
    Thats about 7 hours study in a day, do you not think that's a bit excessive?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Not really...if you want a place in a college!!!

Plus it's really only 4 when you factor that homework isn't study and the breaks you take in between...I'd like to think I'm not a nerd:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 rorymcn

My two bits of advice:

1) Don't assign a whole day to one subject- Its grand for those you like/don't mind nut when it comes to he bitches of subjects its impossible and very daunting.

2) Spend about 45mins max on a subject. Your brain can handle he info much better this way, and its much less painful.

Advertisement