Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

time for BOI cheque to clear in ptsb a/c?

Options
  • 07-03-2007 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭

hi there,

this morning (wednesday) i lodged a cheque from BOI into my ptsb current account.

the clerk told me that it would be 5 working days and it would be in my a/c on Tuesday.

is 5 working days alwalys the case or is that just the max it can be?

does anyone have any experience of this?

thanks very much,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Normally takes less than 5 in my experience, but it can vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

they say 5 to cover themselves, by and large they clear within three days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭comer_97

ptsb use a different clearing system than boi and aib hence it takes slightly longer, should be in your account monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭John Player

thanks very much for the advice,

lets assume its going to take the max 5 working days, on which day does the money actually leave the drawers account? and also suppose it leaves on day 3 and winds up in limbo until day 5 - can the drawer turn around and still cancel the cheque after day 3?

cheers
    JP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

NO, ONCE THE CHEQUE IS PRESENTED at the drawers bank and put through it cant be stopped

• Advertisement

deadly, hurrah i hope, so once the money has left this guys account its mine even though i cant access it yet, even if he rings up his bank and says stop it, its gone too late.

is it fair to assume that because i lodged the cheque into my ptsb account on wednesday it would of left his account today or will sometime later today?

thanks again,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 dublinli

ircoha wrote:
    NO, ONCE THE CHEQUE IS PRESENTED at the drawers bank and put through it cant be stopped

does it not have to go to a clearing house first, hence it takes this long, so can they not stop it at that stage

• Registered Users Posts: 12,167 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

if you ring ptsb they can tell you when it will clear if you're registered for open24.

heyas - quick update, i went into ptsb to lodge another cheque today and i was asking about the one i lodged on wednesday - i was told it wouldnt clear till COB tuesday which means i wont be able to access it till wednesday - well i was like a demon, if i knew that i would of went out to the boi branch and cashed it immediately - i am chaning banks as a result, free banking is grand but when the tellers dont know what they are talking about its just not worth it, plus she was really rude and didnt look at me eye once during the whole encounter. the swine

ill post when (if) it clears.

cheers

Advertisement