Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banning of Trocaire advert

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Tut tut tut, BCI. You're off my Wintermas list now...
    Hopefully sense prevails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

it's not an all or nothing situation.
    Where would you draw the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Well since BCI didn't make the legislation I don't see how its their fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Where would you draw the line?

Not my job. Or to be candid, I haven't got the experience to make the call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

i'm a bit confused.
    Is the ad purely about the equality situation in Ireland or what is the aim of the ad?

Isn't this an Amnesty International area anyway?

As for the banning of the ad- very silly... but laws can be silly. Can't see how anyone can have a problem with it.

• Advertisement

Its the same reason Amnesty Intl never have TV ads (afaik). Of course they've tried to get them on but were always refused. Even if the goals are noble they're still political.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

As for the banning of the ad- very silly... but laws can be silly. Can't see how anyone can have a problem with it.

I don't think anyone has a problem with it really. It's just some niggling little voice like one that might come up to your ear and say 'well according to rule 532, section 53, article 37 of the rule book, you cannot walk on the grass in those shoes.'

Yeah i suppose if anyone did have a problem with it they'd be considered heartless sexist bastards wouldn't they?!

This thing happens all the time i'm just surprised that a charity didn't manage to get away with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

i'm a bit confused.
    Is the ad purely about the equality situation in Ireland or what is the aim of the ad?

Isn't this an Amnesty International area anyway?

Legalities aside, I found it a very confusing campaign. Are they looking for an end to some particular discriminant practices in Ireland? Do they want the Irish government to act against abuses of women in foreign wars?

hardCopy wrote:
    Legalities aside, I found it a very confusing campaign. Are they looking for an end to some particular discriminant practices in Ireland? Do they want the Irish government to act against abuses of women in foreign wars?

They're the same thoughts i had. I was surprised as its totally butting in on Amnesty's territory but heck charities seem to love competition!

I initially thought it was part of the lenten campaign thingy they usually do, you know- 2 euro will buy a girl some books and 10 euro will help a woman with union fees to secure equal pay or something or other (though not so tongue in cheek obviously.

• Advertisement

Yeah i suppose if anyone did have a problem with it they'd be considered heartless sexist bastards wouldn't they?!

This thing happens all the time i'm just surprised that a charity didn't manage to get away with it!
    Considering the reality of the situation in Ireland I'm suprised that they even tried to get it run in the first place. It was never happening.

As in the discrimination or the legal system which likes to generalise when convenient and shove lots of things under the same bracket?

These types of ads have been banned for 20 years, there have been plenty of cases on the matter questioning the legislation but all have failled. Trocaire know this.

Politics is politics, you can't isolate the issues without adding your own agenda via the division.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

They're the same thoughts i had. I was surprised as its totally butting in on Amnesty's territory but heck charities seem to love competition!

I initially thought it was part of the lenten campaign thingy they usually do, you know- 2 euro will buy a girl some books and 10 euro will help a woman with union fees to secure equal pay or something or other (though not so tongue in cheek obviously.
    I think the ad is suggesting gender inequality is a universal issue. It affects Ireland, but that it affects the developing world most. No country has 100% gender parity, but in rich countries, that doesn't mean you're automatically excluded from education, health, any kind of say in how a household is run, or made more vulnerable to vicious assault and risk of HIV/AIDS just because you're a woman. As an overseas aid agency, it's the latter part that Trócaire deals with. So no confusion there, I suppose.

I think the ad works because it raises this question - it's constructively confusing. So, no probs there. Though, I'd have to admid, I kinda went "whoa" when I saw the campaign. I was sort of impressed they'd (sort of) gotten away with it.

Personally, I feel that the ad didn't need to be censured. The BCI said the issue was the ad directing viewers to the Trócaire website, which is political. Rubbish. Name me something that isn't political.

Anyway, it's International Women's Day today, so let's all show some extra-special love towards the special ladies in our lives.

All you ladies have an empowering day, y'hear?

DadaKopf wrote:
    I think the ad is suggesting gender inequality is a universal issue. It affects Ireland, but that it affects the developing world most. No country has 100% gender parity, but in rich countries, that doesn't mean you're automatically excluded from education, health, any kind of say in how a household is run, or made more vulnerable to vicious assault and risk of HIV/AIDS just because you're a woman. As an overseas aid agency, it's the latter part that Trócaire deals with. So no confusion there, I suppose.

I think the ad works because it raises this question - it's constructively confusing. So, no probs there. Though, I'd have to admid, I kinda went "whoa" when I saw the campaign. I was sort of impressed they'd (sort of) gotten away with it.

Personally, I feel that the ad didn't need to be censured. The BCI said the issue was the ad directing viewers to the Trócaire website, which is political. Rubbish. Name me something that isn't political.

Anyway, it's International Women's Day today, so let's all show some extra-special love towards the special ladies in our lives.

All you ladies have an empowering day, y'hear?
    Oh yeah... and I'm not against the BCI codes or anything. They're there for a reason. Wayyyy to easy to abuse otherwise. But on a broader note, the charity sector has had its political edge blunted in recent years by conditions placed on funding. It's rubbish - NGOs are being transformed into services rather than valid and vital civil society organisations.

Then again, Trócaire is half-funded by the Catholic Church, part funded by the government and by charity donations. Lucky sucks.

Sangre wrote:
    These types of ads have been banned for 20 years, there have been plenty of cases on the matter questioning the legislation but all have failled. Trocaire know this.

Politics is politics, you can't isolate the issues without adding your own agenda via the division.

I agree. I'm still curious whether the outroar that this thing is causing mightn't topple it considering the juge support that Trocaire has in Ireland.
    That being said its a rather pointless and expensive task and i wish they'd just stick with charity.

I agree. I'm still curious whether the outroar that this thing is causing mightn't topple it considering the juge support that Trocaire has in Ireland.
    That being said its a rather pointless and expensive task and i wish they'd just stick with charity.
    Well, the BCI is expected to be succeeded by a Broadcasting Authority of Ireland covering all media outlets. So the definitions may very well be redrawn, but not necessarily for the better. Though this incident may become a cause celebre.

* Nice nick by the way :).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I get that they're trying to raise awareness of and fight gender inequalities what i don't get is what specific actions they plan to take or want the government to take.

I.e. how do they plan to use funds raised to actually fight the problem.

hardCopy wrote:
    I get that they're trying to raise awareness of and fight gender inequalities what i don't get is what specific actions they plan to take or want the government to take.

I.e. how do they plan to use funds raised to actually fight the problem.
    Becuase they're not allowed to say that, presumably. Although some of the information is on their website.

Gender is a 'cross-cutting' issue in development these days. It's to be mainstreamed in all activities - in all situations, women are to be empowered.

If this is the BCI's ruling, there's no point allowing aid/charity to advertise at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

They should not only ban the ad, but they should execute the people who made and funded it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭So Glad

Well this is another fine case of human censorship. What sickening, vile, fat, obnoxious ****ing prick with a comb-over could possibly find it in their heart to ban something that is REAL?

I signed petition and sent the BCI a nice e-mail. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

So Glad wrote:
    Well this is another fine case of human censorship. What sickening, vile, fat, obnoxious ****ing prick with a comb-over could possibly find it in their heart to ban something that is REAL?
    :rolleyes:

Cause it breaks the law. You can't let one side get away with it and the other not to.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    :rolleyes:

Cause it breaks the law. You can't let one side get away with it and the other not to.

So there is a law that requires people not to talk about the plight of others?

So Glad wrote:

If it has a political agenda, then yes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

So Glad wrote:
    Did you even bother to read the thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Ciaran500 wrote:
    probably not

if this ad breaks the law then what's the big deal?

Ciaran500 wrote:

Nope I haven't, and I won't because I cannot conceive any possible reason being nice and caring could be illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Mostly emotional responce, IMO.

"I agree with the campaign therefore th ad should not have been banned" type stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Jocksy

Where do you draw the line with political ads. The guidlines the BCI is to ban all political ads and thats what they have done. They aren't in the business of deciding if they ad has a political message they agree with and thats the way it should be,

• Advertisement

All I'm saying is that this ad is outlining the plight of fellow humans, due to gender discrimination (which exists even in this country so we can take out heads out of the sand). Why should we not say this is happening (or say it is illegal to TALK about them) simply because it is another countries problem.

Shouldn't ads showing kids in other countries starving be banned because it is to do with the countries politics.

Also, why should this be politically orientated? It doesn't say anything about stopping it or prolonging it, so how does this proclaim an agenda? It just states a fact...

A fine example of how much people don't give a ****.

Advertisement