Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banning of Trocaire advert

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

DadaKopf wrote:
    Gender discrimination . But when statistics say more women are poor than men, it sort of says something about the power of women in society to stand up to discrimination and exploitation..

What if statistics said that blonde female children were poorer than men? Should they then have ran a campaign with just blonde female children?

simu wrote:
    Well, if it's any consolation, the male children these baby girls who are helped have when they grow up will be better off too. Are you against campaigns that highlight discrimination against disabled people and no one else or that fight racism and nothing else too?

yes when they are gender specific. thats my point... campaigns against discrimination against disabled people or racism don`t just concentrate on the female or male people that are effected by that discrimination. so if a campaign came out against racism against just males then I would be against that too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

So there's no difference between the way men and women are treated worldwide and especially, in the developing world then? I suppose it's all feminist propaganda.:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

DadaKopf wrote:
    But when statistics say more women are poor than men

What statistics?You can compile statistical eveidence to back up almost any point of view.Did it not occur to you that the reason the women might be "poor" than men is because in some societies they dont work,they prefer to look after the children..a little bit like in this country thirty years ago.Does it mean the children are better off though?Trocaire can no more change the habits of the human race by scabbing money off the rest of us than oprah winfrey can stop the spread of aids in america.

simu wrote:
    So there's no difference between the way men and women are treated worldwide and especially, in the developing world then? I suppose it's all feminist propaganda.:rolleyes:

I`m not saying that.

If somebody is treated badly, they are treated badly. I don`t care why. Try and tackle all of the things that contribute to that not just one facet of it and try and help all of the badly treated people... not just females because it happens more. If they wanted to do a useful thing they could have just aimed it at all suffering to young babies. Would that have been any less impactful?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

Degsy wrote:
    Did it not occur to you that the reason the women might be "poor" than men is because in some societies they dont work,they prefer to look after the children..a little bit like in this country thirty years ago..

I think you might be a little off with the word "prefer" there, which is what is at the centre of this debate, who said women "prefer" to stay at home? You say Irish women did back in the day, but that was the law. the marraige ban remember? you couldnt be a married woman and work, the constitution said your place was at home. Thats whats called gender discrimination.
    Women still often dont get the choice in some countries dont get the choices and opportunites afforded to men, thats why today is womens day,thats why theres feminism. Its nothing to do with pushing forward female suffering to the detriment of male suffering, its just highlight one aspect of human suffering due to catergorising people on things they dont decide on such as gender or race.
    Im not a raving mad feminist though, and I didnt like the Trocaire Ad, dont know why it just didnt sit right with me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Villaricos wrote:
    Women still often dont get the choice in some countries dont get the choices and opportunites afforded to men, thats why today is womens day,thats why theres feminism.

Is there feminism in africa?I doubt it as its only something that people who have a lot of choice in thier lives can afford to be.Outside of the first world,feminism just isnt practical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

Degsy wrote:
    Is there feminism in africa?I doubt it as its only something that people who have a lot of choice in thier lives can afford to be.Outside of the first world,feminism just isnt practical.

quite possibly why there are organisations trying to promote it perhaps??

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just saw the ad on Sky One. It's good.
    Tbh, the anti feminism/equality in this thread is a bit disturbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Degsy wrote:

Many of the Ashanti tribes in Ghana are matriarchal. Does that count? Actually, never mind.

I'm sure no matter what point I try and make you'll come back with something off the walls.

The trocaire campaign is for equality, not raging feminism. Not bad for an agency funded by the Catholic church.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Dregsy, there are feminist movements across the developing world. Google some, if you care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Trocaire, an agency of the Catholic Church, running a campaign complaining about discrimination against women.

The ironing is delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Hehehehehe.

And also: the BCI bans promotion of religious stuff. 'Lenten Campaign' anyone?

Trocaire, an agency of the Catholic Church, running a campaign complaining about discrimination against women.

Haha classic... hadn`t thought of that! good point

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Come on over and do mine if you like it so much, I can never get all those creases out no matter how hard I try..

• Registered Users Posts: 30,264 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

There's an irish cow & gate tv ad about milk for babies, it's funny because the whole way through the ad, they call the child a "he" or "him", slogan at the end is "why not protect him?". They even use the same sort of male wording on their website here http://www.cow-gate.ie/ASP/show_subject.asp?id=16558

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

"Thats not the point. The Trocaire campaign is aimed at the British and Irish governments, and is thus political here."

The campaign is political but the ad isn't. Why ban the ad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The campaign is political but the ad isn't. Why ban the ad?
    Because the ad is a part of the campaign, and thus a political ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Because the ad is linked to the campaign which is political?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I've Just seen the ad. So it's not banned yet.

• Advertisement

DadaKopf wrote:
    Hehehehehe.

And also: the BCI bans promotion of religious stuff. 'Lenten Campaign' anyone?

Not to mention Christmas and all things Christmassy.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

boreds wrote:
    Not to mention Christmas and all things Christmassy.
    Did you see it on RTE ,arn't they self regulating or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

boreds wrote:
    I've Just seen the ad. So it's not banned yet.
    What channel did you see it on? I think its still running on the British channels.

There hasn't been any word of the ban being lifted, AFAIK.

Oh, It must have been c4 it was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,264 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0308/advertising.html

labout party wants the legislation clarified
    Party President Michael D Higgins said he believed the commission was wrong in its interpretation of legislation which bans political advertisements, but was bringing forward his Bill in an attempt to clarify the situation.

It would draw a clear distinction between party political advertising and information campaigns organised by campaign groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

hardCopy wrote:
    If we don't prevent lobby groups from purchasing air time on the television we can end up with a situation like they have in the USA with puppet lobby groups such as Swift Boat Veterans for Truth attacking various political agendas at election time.

QFT.

And tbh this whole lentan campaign sounds a bit like a load of cobblers. They go on about equal rights for women by selling Pink ribbons, but they sell blue ones as well. So if I buy a blue one am I for or against equal rights for women?

More likely they need some other platform to milk the public with.

QFT x 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 siners71

siners71 wrote:

http://www.mg.co.za/articlepage.aspx?area=/breaking_news/breaking_news__africa/&articleid=245792

http://www.religioustolerance.org/aboforcenk.htm

Infanticide is not just a female problem! As I said above, Trocaire should be including male and female infanticide in their campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 siners71

woooo232 wrote:
    http://www.mg.co.za/articlepage.aspx?area=/breaking_news/breaking_news__africa/&articleid=245792

http://www.religioustolerance.org/aboforcenk.htm

Infanticide is not just a female problem! As I said above, Trocaire should be including male and female infanticide in their campaign.[/QUOTE

while i totally agreed with you, trocaire did what they did.. babies are babies the world over... its just unfortunate that in this world, females have to struggle harder to be heard!

• Advertisement

[/QUOTE]while i totally agreed with you, trocaire did what they did.. babies are babies the world over... its just unfortunate that in this world, females have to struggle harder to be heard![/QUOTE]

Do they really? Ok in many ways they do... But not necesarily in this case I think. I think that because female infanticide is more prevalent that many people don`t realise that male infanticide can happen quite a lot too... So imagine the plight of the male baby... Where is his Trocaire campaign and the western campaigns highlighting his suffering?

I mean its stupid not to recognise that female infanticide is more prevalent than male infanticide, but that doesn`t mean that it doesn`t happen... I know I`ve said this over and over again but all I want is equality! not feminism or chauvinism but simple equality!

I`ve always thought that feminism is a poorly thought out phrase as it isolates the genders and instead they should be working together for equality on BOTH sides!

Advertisement