Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banning of Trocaire advert

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,205 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Its not a political agenda; its a humanitarian agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Lobbying for change in law = political

Even if its on humanitarian grounds

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

woooo232 wrote:
    I mean its stupid not to recognise that female infanticide is more prevalent than male infanticide, but that doesn`t mean that it doesn`t happen... I know I`ve said this over and over again but all I want is equality! not feminism or chauvinism but simple equality!

I`ve always thought that feminism is a poorly thought out phrase as it isolates the genders and instead they should be working together for equality on BOTH sides!

This is such a ridiculous argument. According to your logic, we shouldn't highlight any problems that occur within a certain segment of our society because it "isoltates" that group of people. What crap!

THis will mean an end to almost all charity campagins. Don't dare talk about war in Sudan. Sure there's war happening in other places as well! Don't talk about discrimination against black people because racism happens to everyone!..ad nauseum.

As for infanticide, it many times more inflicted on female babies than male babies. It's happening to such disproportion in countries such as China and India that there is now an imbalance in the male:female ratio. The natural ratio should be 101 women to every 100 men (on average). In India, for example, it is 94 women to every 100 men. That translates into a lot of missing women. The issue is one that is gender specific - why kid yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Overheal wrote:
    Its not a political agenda; its a humanitarian agenda.
    One man's humanitarian agenda is another man's politic.

I might think abortion is a humanitarian issue, you might think its political.

See what I did there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Sangre wrote:
    One man's humanitarian agenda is another man's politic.

I might think abortion is a humanitarian issue, you might think its political.

See what I did there?

Good point.

I have to say I'd rather see the occasional banning of a worthwhile ad than allow various interest groups to buy unregulated amounts of airtime. Trocaire's lenten campaign is always well supported due to their network of school children with collection boxes, they have many other ways to raise awareness and collect funds, I really don't think their efforts will fail this year because of the BCI's decsion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

taconnol wrote:
    This is such a ridiculous argument. According to your logic, we shouldn't highlight any problems that occur within a certain segment of our society because it "isoltates" that group of people. What crap!

THis will mean an end to almost all charity campagins. Don't dare talk about war in Sudan. Sure there's war happening in other places as well! Don't talk about discrimination against black people because racism happens to everyone!..ad nauseum.

As for infanticide, it many times more inflicted on female babies than male babies. It's happening to such disproportion in countries such as China and India that there is now an imbalance in the male:female ratio. The natural ratio should be 101 women to every 100 men (on average). In India, for example, it is 94 women to every 100 men. That translates into a lot of missing women. The issue is one that is gender specific - why kid yourself?

FFS Am I the only one that when I come to a thread late takes the time to read through it and tries to post something new instead of making the same point that was made two pages ago????:rolleyes:
    simu wrote:
    Are you against campaigns that highlight discrimination against disabled people and no one else or that fight racism and nothing else too?
    woooo232 wrote:
    yes when they are gender specific. thats my point... campaigns against discrimination against disabled people or racism don`t just concentrate on the female or male people that are effected by that discrimination. so if a campaign came out against racism against just males then I would be against that too!

Name one other racism or disability or whatever discrimination campaign that has been run as gender specific as this one? have you ever seen a campaign against racism against only black men? Didn't think so!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

^^^

Ah, forget it. You can lead a horse to water...

• Registered Users Posts: 83,205 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well I suppose if it meant I never had to see a political ad on TV (*scarred by american television*) I will go along with this /=/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭savoyard

Woo323, please tell me of a society where male babies are aborted or abandoned because of their sex? The link you gave does not relate to gender based infancticide. There are a lot of men and boys with terrible lives in awful circumstances, but is not due to gender discrimination, but to other forms of inequality. You can't address every form of discrimination and inequality in a single campaign. The fact is millions of girls are being aborted in China and India, solely because of their gender. Women in the west make up 3% more of the population - in India they make up 8% less. That's a problem which also directly impacts on men - a society where young men have no chance of finding a partner will have an impact on men's behaviour and wellbeing.

There are plenty of campaigns from lots of organisations to improve infant mortality, poverty, access to education etc etc and Trocaire has done many of them in the past. This particular camaign happens to focus on gender equity, something recognised as crucial by development experts for improving the lot of all, not just some publicity generating campaign dreamt up by Trocaire in isolation.

Gender inequality is stark in the developing world. The most effective way to reduce poverty and improve health is to educate women, as in developing societies they are the ones taking care of the family. Improving the rights of women impacts on the welfare of all their children, not just the female children. Gender equity is good for everyone.
    Degsy wrote:
    What statistics?You can compile statistical eveidence to back up almost any point of view.Did it not occur to you that the reason the women might be "poor" than men is because in some societies they dont work,they prefer to look after the children..a little bit like in this country thirty years ago.Does it mean the children are better off though?Trocaire can no more change the habits of the human race by scabbing money off the rest of us than oprah winfrey can stop the spread of aids in america.Outside of the first world,feminism just isnt practical.

this would be the funniest thing I have read in a while, if the lack of general knowledge wasn't so astounding. I don't even know where to begin..... "prefer to look after the children?" Women have been poorer than men for centuries and centuries, and not because they chose to be stay at home mums...try being barred from education, from owning property, from having a job. It is not a manipulation of statistics, it is a fact.

Regarding feminism, well if anything, feminism is more crucial in the developing world in order to improve the lives of women and girls, an improvement which directly benefits men.

As for the ban, talk about the small print. According to the Trocaire website today
    The BCI has proposed an amendment to the script of the advertisments as follows:
    "Support Trócaire to help end gender inequality."

The original script stated:
    "Support Trócaire's Lenten Campaign to help end gender inequality."

Advertisement