Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The RTE Panel

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I prefer the RTE Panel then other football shows. I would like to see more of Souness on it as I think he talks a good game even though I couldn't stand the man when he was manager of any Prem. teams.

Beats BBC anyday of the week esp. Garth Crooks !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Celtic67

For me RTE's coverage is class and streets ahead of the UK channels which are wooden in comparison. The banter you get between the RTE Panel is great and something you would never get on other channels. Aside from the entertainment value, I really think Giles analysis of games and players is usually spot on. Sometimes he does tend to go over the top if doesn't like a player, but if he's expressing his honest opinion then fair play. Dunphy has a tendency to contradict himself but is pure entertainment. Trevor Steven adds great balance to the panel and Souness was great when he was on during the World Cup, I don't he could believe what he could get away with but soon got stuck into it. As for Bill, he knows excatly what he's doing. His role is to prompt comments from the other lads.
    I recall reading an interview with Gary Stevens, former Everton & Rangers defender. He said that the lowest point of his football career was when John Giles said on TV that he was that bad that he should not be earning his living from football - class- would never get that on BBC, ITV or Sky.
    What about Lawrenson commentating on English games referring to them as "we" and referring to Ireland as "we" when on Today FM? I know he was born and lived in England all his life but thats a bit much. I suppose he has to hedge his bets to earn a living.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

but when it comes to the big games for the most part I don't want to see his name on the team sheet.

I was thinking of responding to that, but then I saw
    I would much prefer the 100% effort of someone like Darren Fletcher than the nonsense ronaldo produces a lot of the time.

And I realised there was no point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

cson wrote:
    As bad as you think Richard Keyes is...... O'Herlihy for all his best efforts is embarrassing at times.

In fairness to Bill he never pretends to know anything about football.

I can't stand Brady sometimes. Very bitter.

But the worst for me is Houghtan! I want to hurt myself (or my telly) when he's commentating.

Love listening to Giles and Dunphy even if I don't always agree with them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Celtic67 wrote:
    For me RTE's coverage is class and streets ahead of the UK channels which are wooden in comparison. The banter you get between the RTE Panel is great and something you would never get on other channels. Aside from the entertainment value, I really think Giles analysis of games and players is usually spot on. Sometimes he does tend to go over the top if doesn't like a player, but if he's expressing his honest opinion then fair play. Dunphy has a tendency to contradict himself but is pure entertainment. Trevor Steven adds great balance to the panel and Souness was great when he was on during the World Cup, I don't he could believe what he could get away with but soon got stuck into it. As for Bill, he knows excatly what he's doing. His role is to prompt comments from the other lads.
    I recall reading an interview with Gary Stevens, former Everton & Rangers defender. He said that the lowest point of his football career was when John Giles said on TV that he was that bad that he should not be earning his living from football - class- would never get that on BBC, ITV or Sky.
    What about Lawrenson commentating on English games referring to them as "we" and referring to Ireland as "we" when on Today FM? I know he was born and lived in England all his life but thats a bit much. I suppose he has to hedge his bets to earn a living.

Totally agree, I like it cause it's sheer entertainment; you could have them on and get them talking about life and it would be quality.

As for lawrenson, he's a pleb. can't stand him. I work with a guy who was born and bred in Liverpool, and his parents were born and bred in Liverpool and he is 100% Irish. and if you try to tell him otherwise he will knock your head off. Lawrenson is a yes man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

As for the TV3 coverage for the San Marino game....... words just would not do it justice :eek:

I remember on Sky Sports once watching an Arsenal match where they had Paul Merson on as a pundit... sheer hilarity "the geezer" etc

The thing the RTE panel have is an ability to add a bit of heat to an argument, stir up some controversy. Although they are way wide of the mark saying Liverpool weren't a footballing side the last night. As for their constant criticism of Ronaldo..... I don't like Ronaldo and what he stands for but he can play and their scything criticism of him every champions league/premiership coverage is crazy. Its almost like something that has to be said every show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

kraggy wrote:
    Does anyone else find Dolan the most annoying, bullsh1tting pain in the arse?

The guy who was sitting beside him on Tuesday for the Chelsea match was even worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I'll remind everyone that abusive comments are going to get you banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i really think people are being hard on the Rté panel... sure they could be better, and they are prone to negativity but still they are the best on offer i feel. I cannot stand Sky, and the the others, always sensationalising and hyping everything up. RTÉ are the only ones left who will call a crap match a crap match.

as for Ronaldo, i feel the criticism is deserved. he is nowhere up to the level of the greats, his greatest asset is his speed, whenever he tries the tricks he ends up either having to back track or getting stuck in a corner a lot of the time, and the consistency his end product still needs a lot of work... and with all the hyping up of him everywhere else, it's nice to hear someone criticising him once in a while.

the Liverpool criticism yesterday was a little harsh but i feel some people are ignoring that in the second half Liverpool practically gave up trying to keep possession. they just thumped it up, sat back and gave Barcelona far too much possession. yeah, yeah, they could have scored in the first half blah blah, but they didn't. So could have Barca. i felt they were lucky, because Barcelona from a year ago would have punished them for the amount of possession they handed over to 'em. It's as much Barca's inability to take the tie to them, as for their own performance that got them through I feel.

The best thing about the RTE panel is that they are characters, they have personality and, even though it may be harsh or wrong, they aren't afraid to say what they really feel on the issue. i think, considering the alternatives available that this should be commended, not slated, regardless of your own opinion on the issues. They at least give you more to think about coming away from watching a match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Most people will agree that the RTE Panel is miles ahead of the other panels across the board but they were a bit of a joke on Tue & Wed, Liverpool go to Barcelonaand win, then destroy them for the first half in the second leg and manage to hold out for draw to knock out champions of Europe and all they get is abuse off the panel

Man U were far worse than Liverpool over both legs and they dont get half of the negative comments, just the usual Ronaldo bashing and Rooney lovin

Dunphy calls Ronaldo a joke and says Rooney is just not himself, ffs, Ronaldo might be a knob but he has been one of the best players around this season.

What that panel need is someone with a bit of balls to stand up to them and state the facts when they start talking their ****e

I love them though but sometimes :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

Bateman wrote:
    Can't stand Brady, he is a bitter bastard. He is an employee of Arsenal, yet still says "they" this and "they" that, the whole thing credits the viewer with very little intelligence. The chip he has on both shoulders for Chelsea is shocking, and if he is a "big Barcelona fan", as he constantly states, he shouldn't be there, simple as.

The truth is usually in between Dunphy and Giles.
    Could not agree more with the above as a liverpool fan i have always admired brady and arsenal,but to me brady has lost it he reminds me of keegan who i looked up to but he became another bitter man.
    Leave brady out to pasture and get somebody less bitter in the studio!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

and gave Barcelona far too much possession. yeah, yeah, they could have scored in the first half blah blah, but they didn't. So could have Barca

Not wanting to drag the thread OT but Barca would have been lucky to score
    in the first half they had 1 shot at goal.

As for thier Worships Giles is the only one who talks much sense in my view Brady I don't rate at all (imagine being stuck in a lift with him) while Dunphy is well iconoclastic, know it works for him and is'nt going to change now.

Souness is better than all of them and should be given a contract, boot Brady out.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

mike65 wrote:
    Not wanting to drag the thread OT but Barca would have been lucky to score
    in the first half they had 1 shot at goal.

phrased it badly, i didn't mean in the first half exclusively, i meant over the whole match Barca were just as unlucky not to score more as Liverpool were. and that's why some of the negativity in analysis was deserved imo, because Liverpool let them back into the tie when they could have killed it off. my bad on the english.

/offtopic

I actually think Brady, when he comes out of his Bitter moods can have more insight than the rest of them. I guess he's just as inconsistent with his insight as Ronaldo is with his end product :D

Advertisement