Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

960 X 600

Options
  • 08-03-2007 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Anybody know of a graphics card which will allow me to set a resolution of
    960 X 600. AGP preferably but PCIe at a push. Also passive cooling.

Thanks,
    Pat.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

You can force a custom resolution of 960x600 with any graphics card by using Powerstrip.

Outside of that I'm not sure unless the 960x600 is programmed into the EDID of the display the graphics card wont pick up the resolution so you will have to force it via software.

What specifically has this 960x600 resolution like for instance some built in mini LCD display on home theatre PC's have these and usually the res is supported out of the box by any GPU ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 patt

Thanx 8T8,
    I’m using a Dell 20 inch wide screen Flat Panel monitor.
    I want to use a low screen resolution so that I can see writing. I don’t use games.
    The only resolution I have found to give a linear picture and reasonable size writing is 960 X 600, only problem is the quality of the writing is hopeless. The vertical part of each letter is missing e.g. the letter I and the vertical parts of the letter N are missing.
    If I use any other low resolution, the picture is vertically squashed.
    I thought a better quality graphics card, set at 960 X 600 may give a better picture.
    My present graphics card is nVidia GeForce 4 MX 420 (Dell) set at 800 X 600, but the picture is stretched horizontally to fill the screen.
    patt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Then you have the wrong type of display you need to get yourself a CRT.

When LCD's are not running at their native resolution e.g most 20" ones have a res of 1680x1050 then the text will not be as sharp and you get the rendering errors like you describe.

(LCD's are manufactured at a specific resolution in mind which is why they must scale the image when running at non-native resolution which produces the errors in the text you see)

CRT's do not have this problem so that is your best course of action.

As a last resort you could try messing with the DPI settings in Windows but I cannot recommend anything other than try experimenting with it.

Advertisement