Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal End Of Season Review

• 08-03-2007 12:53am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

Right first of this might seem premature for some but in all essence the season is over bar a major collapse in the league they will finish finish either 3rd or 4th to qualify for the CL.

Well first off we have some great positives.

Cesc. What a player! He controls the strings for the arsenal midfield. Still only 19 and if he can start finding the net, something he still has to learn then not only can he become the best player at Arsenal but one of the best midfielders of this generation! The Arsenal team should be built around him not Henry.

Diaby. looks a great prospect! Surging powerfull runs and a great ball winner. Plenty of time to improve aswell. The central midfield should be cesc and Diaby in the very near future.

Denilson. This guy came from nowhere to put himself before Flamini and Diaby
    Comfortable on the ball and great technique. Will be a player in the future.

Other youngsters. Clichy, Traroe, Walcott, Hoyte, Djourou, Eboue have the potential to become world class players. I wasnt gone on hoyte at the start of the season but he has massivly improve in his favoured RB position.

There are of course other youngsters that havent been unleashed yet like Francisco Merida and plenty of others who want to establish a place for themselves as the next cesc or clichy.

Wengers youth policy has made the football world take notice.
    OK. They didn't win anything but for the majority of the Carling Cup Final Match their under 21 midfield ran the show against the likes of Ballack, Lampard and Essien.
    In that move alone Wenger's has put out a message to the world young footballers that if you are good enough you will get a chance to play at the highest level against the worlds best. Arsenal for a young footballer trying to make a breakthrough then they are infinately a better option then the chelsea's of this world. Hence the future best players in the world will consider arsenal more seriously as an option.

The Negatives.

Set-Pieces.
    Defending set pieces should be standard defending 101. So why all the conceded goals from corner kicks and frees. It should never be allowed.
    Attacking set pieces. Why the lack of goals from them. We are never a threat yet we reach almost 10 corners a game yet rarely threaten. Training ground routines. If it requires and extra 30 minutes training a day then they should do it as its seriously harming the team.

Captaincy.
    Should be striped off Henry and given to Toure who is the only player I think good enough for it. Gilberto does a great job but I think Diaby will push him next season so Toure it should be.

Players who are not good enough.
    Baptista, Aliadare, Hleb and Ljundberg should be got rid of in the summer. They dont have what it takes to play at this level.
    The beast is still living off his 4 goals at Anfield. He isnt good enough technically.
    Aliadare is the 2nd longest serving arsenal player behind henry. That says it all.
    Hleb has had 2 season's to adjust and he still doesnt know what to do when he has the ball at the edge of the box. He slows down the game and doesnt score enough goals to justify his position in the team. Takes too many touches.
    Ljundberg. Sorry but he has no pace and is just a workhorse now living off his past.

Bertender should be brought back from Birmingham and given a chance.
    Arsenal should then have Van Persie (Who is turning out to be world class if he can keep fit), Adeboyer and Henry up front.

There is talks of Lehmann leaving and he hasn't been the best this season. Not bad but goes asleep sometimes like tonight in no mans land. Buffon is unhappy at Juve I hear so make a move??

Niavity.
    Take your chances and keep the concentration at the back!!
    How many times have Arsenal lost or drawn a game they deserve to win or at least get something out of it. It fustrates me because they are good enough technically and physically but I think this is a mental problem thats crept through the team from Henry that Wenger should eliminate next season.
    Also learn to shoot sometimes. It might surprise the oppisition when the have 10 players in their box!!

Injuries.
    What is it with these the last 2 seasons. Gallas has barely missed a game with Chelsea and this season has played only 11 league games. Is it luck or are the coaches not seeing something in training?

Overall
    Well good things to look forward to with the youngsters getting better and better but the negatives have to be ironed out if Arsenal are going to challenge for the league next season.
    One or 2 players will have to be brought in I think. We need a fast left winger as too many of our wide midfielders play too centrally. What I would do for another Overmars! Goalkeeper too, maybe a striker if the right one comes along.

Thoughts?
    Natrually I cant cover everything but im sure I can think of a few more.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Arsenal End Of Season Review and it`s not the end of season,speaks volumes really;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

county wrote:
    Arsenal End Of Season Review and it`s not the end of season,speaks volumes really;)

Did you even read the post??
    Thought not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

county wrote:

Ha ha so true County.............:p

And yes i have read the original post..........

Well at least they can relax now and wait for next season........:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,168 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'd agree with you on getting rid of Hleb. Goals from midfield have dried up and he's had 2 seasons to prove himself. Not a bad player but doesn't get enough goals. He'd be one of the main offenders for the perfect goal psyche.

Cesc doesn't get many goals but they can hardly drop him. Rosicky, lacking in goals this season could still prove to be a good source of goals in the future.

Up front I think if Van Persie had stayed fit all season Arsenal may still be in one or two competitions instead of having nothing to play for in the last 2 months. Class player and is still the club's top league goal scorer after missing the past month or two. Says it all.

There's nothing much wrong with the team apart from lack of goals, caused by Henry's fairly lacklustre season, a complete lack of goals from midfield apart from when Gilberto had a purple patch, and injuries to Van Persie.

A replacement for Lehmann who looks set to leave, replacements for Bob Pires and Freddie Ljungberg of 5 years ago are still needed. Actually I think letting Pires go was a mistake, even at his age. Ljungberg should have been the player offloaded. Baptista needs to go, along with Aliadiere and 1 already established excellent striker needs to come in, with another promising
    striker to complete the strike force.

The defence doesn't really need much patching. They'd be mad to go after Bale with Clichy playing so well at left back. Gallas and Toure are an excellent centre back pairing, just hopefully they can both stay fit so Senderos won't get too many games. Eboue is a complete spa but he can play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Pretty much agree with what you've said. I'd love ribery from marseille to inject something different on the wings. Whatever about Hleb, Ljungberg simply has to go, hasn't been doing it in years now. Remember when he used to get 10-12 goals a season? On that note, they've missed the Pires/Bergkamp link player.

Also the play acting in Eboues game must go. He needs to cut that ****e out, its even creeping into cescs game (carling cup final anyone?)

I've mentioned it in the other thread too but we are lacking bite in the midfield that hopefully Diaby will provide eventually. Toure should definitely be captain, cares for the club. As for Lehmann, I wouldn't like to see him go but I think Boruc of Celtic would be a superb replacement and it'd be a hard offer for him to turn down.

There is potential, but I think we require maybe one finished article experienced player to help the kids develop.

• Advertisement

Djourou over Senderos any day. Kerrea Gilbert is also having a good one at Cardiff this season...bodes well.

As for bringing in another striker.... Henry, Van Persie, Adebayor are all class acts... I'd suggest giving Bendtner a chance and also if we get the opportunity for an Eto'o - Henry swop, to take it.

Adebayor is most certainly not a class act. He misses quite a few chances, not as many as Baptista though. I reckon an Eto'o-Henry swap might be too good to resist considering the age of both players.

I'd agree with you on getting rid of Hleb. Goals from midfield have dried up and he's had 2 seasons to prove himself. Not a bad player but doesn't get enough goals. He'd be one of the main offenders for the perfect goal psyche.

Cesc doesn't get many goals but they can hardly drop him. Rosicky, lacking in goals this season could still prove to be a good source of goals in the future.

Up front I think if Van Persie had stayed fit all season Arsenal may still be in one or two competitions instead of having nothing to play for in the last 2 months. Class player and is still the club's top league goal scorer after missing the past month or two. Says it all.

There's nothing much wrong with the team apart from lack of goals, caused by Henry's fairly lacklustre season, a complete lack of goals from midfield apart from when Gilberto had a purple patch, and injuries to Van Persie.

A replacement for Lehmann who looks set to leave, replacements for Bob Pires and Freddie Ljungberg of 5 years ago are still needed. Actually I think letting Pires go was a mistake, even at his age. Ljungberg should have been the player offloaded. Baptista needs to go, along with Aliadiere and 1 already established excellent striker needs to come in, with another promising
    striker to complete the strike force.

The defence doesn't really need much patching. They'd be mad to go after Bale with Clichy playing so well at left back. Gallas and Toure are an excellent centre back pairing, just hopefully they can both stay fit so Senderos won't get too many games. Eboue is a complete spa but he can play.

Ah an intelligent post. I'm surprised some of the others know how to turn a monitor on. (Can we keep this on topic i.e. no smart alic lol:D dumbass replies)

I agree there with a lot of that.
    The defense on paper looks solid but they still leak goals from few attacks the oppisition have. They have good back up all over though.
    Also remember, They have shipped a back four in the past 9 months.
    Laruan -Campbell-Cygan-Cole

All of them have multiple fa cup and league medals.
    Not many teams could replace an entire back four(3 for cygan;) ) of that calibre in just 9 months!
    Also bobby, bergkamp leaving in the summer and paddy as well the year before. Thats alot of experience to dump in a short amount of time.

Henry...I dont know if he is finished at the club or is he having just a bad season. His pace seems to be gone then again it could be his injuries. I hope Wenger makes the right choice but if he were offered 25 million for him id take it. So long a replacement is brought in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

What ye need is a goalscorer who nicks goals, a RVN or a Ronaldo or something. Can't see it happening though. Abedayor needs to improve his finishing also.
    Ribery would be a good signing provided he can make the shift to the premiership.

How many games has 'the beast' played in actually? I don't rate him too highly (too much of a hot and cold player like say yakubu or someone for Arsenal) but if they could get Reyes back or sell him for someone similar.

Arsenal have had a season very much like last season but have been better in the league but haven't a CL run to show.
    Great potential in the team, if they can keep all the talent and sign the right players with good experience they'll go far for sure.

Zinedine Cygan? :D Experience no doubt!

I like the back four they have now, Eboue-Toure-Gallas-Clichy could be great if they get a run together. I'll be hoping for Boruc in the summer too ;)

Like I said, i'd bite Barca's hand off if they offered Eto'o for Henry. He just seems to be having too much of an influence on the team, whats the craic with leaving his teammates to dance a jig with Ade if he scores? Or vice versa.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'd agree with you about losing alot of experience. Was round at a friend's the other day playing pro evo 4 (released during the 2003/2004 season).

Starting line up was nothing like it is today, really hit home how many players Arsenal have lost since they were the dominant team in English football.

Lehmann
    Lauren Campbell Toure Cole
    Ljungberg Vieira Gilberto Pires
    Bergkamp Henry

6 of those players have left the club, Ljungberg has got rubbish so he might as well be included in that number. Lehmann looks set to leave in a few months time. It's not impossible that Henry could leave too. It is a big change over 2-3 years and perhaps it puts things in perspective. Given the age of the replacements for that experience the team aren't doing quite so badly.

Yup, hence me putting forward the argument we need one finished article player with experience to anchor the kids. I know we're chock full of centre mids but I just yearn for someone of the Essien/Vieira etc variety that'd drive the team on. Gilberto is good and I rate him highly, he just lacks the tenacity you need to drag a result out of the team on a night like tonight.

Toure was superb at RB btw, he could play anywhere! Even a case for putting him in midfield...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

jank wrote:
    Well first off we have some great positives.

Cesc.

Diaby.

Denilson.

Other youngsters. Clichy, Traroe, Walcott, Hoyte, Djourou, Eboue have the potential to become world class players. I wasnt gone on hoyte at the start of the season but he has massivly improve in his favoured RB position.
    I'm sorry, 9 world class players in your ranks? I did quite roffle when I read that.

Cesc is fantastic and at the moment is the only player who I could consider as being/close to "world class". Walcott has been absolute muck this season most of the time. Diaby is just back a wet weekend from injury, you can't go anything on that. So Denilson has gotten ahead of Flamini (an average midfielder) big deal I say. Hoyte, Eboue, Djourou and Traore haven't impressed me that much at all. Decent players but will never play at the top level.

To be honest, I don't see a future for Arsenal at the top echelons of European soccer (barring a takeover of some sort). All throughout Arsene's reign, he's had the makings of a great team. The problem is though, that you need lots of cash to fill the gaps that Arsenal have (notably on the wings now). It's all well and good have potential in the ranks, but if you need a decent winger, you can't afford to wait 2-3 years for a player to develop.

Walcott is 17. And yes he has been muck this season, but he needs time. I don't agree with you though, most if not all of Arsenals youngsters have the potential to become world class, plus they will get a chance at Arsenal as opposed to Chelsea, Utd or even Liverpool.

Under the right guidance and tuition, they could become a dominant force.

cson wrote:
    Walcott is 17. And yes he has been muck this season, but he needs time. I don't agree with you though, most if not all of Arsenals youngsters have the potential to become world class, plus they will get a chance at Arsenal as opposed to Chelsea, Utd or even Liverpool.

Under the right guidance and tuition, they could become a dominant force.
    Heard it all before.

Senderos was supposed to be the future rock in the Arsenal defence, maybe the image likeness to Cygan was his down fall ;)

What about the "Fox in the Box", Francis Jeffers? So good, the £7.5M man is now plying his trade at Ipswich Town.

etc.

You need to combine youth with established, experienced and quality players if you want to dominate. I don't think a team in history has done what you're proposing with just youth.

So you're saying any young players than don't come through means the system is a waste of time? Because Franny Jeffers was rubbish, we can ignore players like Fabregas who've come through? You know signing experienced players doesn't always works either. Baptista is not an inexperienced player but look how rubbish he's been. Senderos not the player people thought he'd be? Big deal, he's not a first team player when the first choice back 4 are fit.

Even if the players Wenger tries to bring through don't make it, he usually manages to sell them at a profit. Forget Jeffers, that was the biggest disaster in history. I feel Wenger succumbed to pressure calling for both a goal poacher and more English players in the team. Not every player who comes through is going to be a success. Not every signing of an established player a side makes is a success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

It's very interesting to read Arsenal fans opinions on their own team. I've thought for quite a while now that Arsenal/Wengers policy of blooding youth into the 1st team squad was the way forward; and I still do.

As a Liverpool fan I would love to see the new owners take on the attitude of Arsenal and adapt... I see no long term future for the Chelseas of this world. Obviously we cannot compete with Abromovich type people in the short term, so clubs need to bring players up within the ranks. We haven't had a player come up through the academy since Stevie, and that's extremely worrying.

Basically, I applaud what Wenger is trying to do at Arsenal and would love to see it recreated at my own preferred club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I think Arsenal will finish above Chelsea next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i think arsenal will finish out side of the top 4 next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I think its nigh on impossible to predict who'll finish where, until near the start of next season when all the transfers and takeovers are complete.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry, 9 world class players in your ranks? I did quite roffle when I read that.

I think you misread an important word.

Other youngsters. Clichy, Traroe, Walcott, Hoyte, Djourou, Eboue have the potential to become world class players.

Some might not become world class palyers. But they have proved they are good enough for the first team for Arsenal. They now need to establish consistency where by they put in top class performances week in week out and to drive the club forward.

My team for next year.

Buffon ;)
    Eboue\Hoyte Toure Gallas Clichy
    Rosicky Gilberto\Diaby Cesc Other\Ribery?
    Henry Adeboyer\Van Persie
    I think its nigh on impossible to predict who'll finish where, until near the start of next season when all the transfers and takeovers are complete.

I think he was looking for a rise tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think what Arsenal desperately need is a finisher. Henry is a finisher, an incredible one, but not the sense I'm talking about. If Drogba played up front with Henry, they'd be incredible. Arsenal need somebody like that.
    Some guy on setanta was saying this last night, and I think he's right, there are many ways to win a football game, Arsenal only have one.
    Even the great teams of Arsenal in the past had 2/3 ways. Arsenal need that.
    They lack pace in the wings, and they lack a real out and out striker up front.
    Also, their defence is great in the center (Gallas-Toure) but weak at the full backs. Clichy is coming along, but at RB, they need somebody more solid, who doesn't go forward quite as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I'm just delighted they got knocked out last night, so delighted!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I'm not an Arsenal fan, but I find it interesting the view of Ljungberg on here. Undoubtedly he has had no impact this season but hasn't he had a real bad run of injuries lately? He's been a wonderful player for you and I thought he would be held in the same esteem of say the way Solskjaer is at Utd. Yet it seems you can't wait to get rid. I'd take a fit Ljungberg over Hleb everytime.

Also someone mentioned he has no pace - I always thought that was a huge quality of his, as it is with most Arsenal players?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I still think Wegner should of never risked Van P, going for bragging rights in the United game.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Arf, lost my post. Can't be arsed re-writing the whole thing again, maybe later.

But to sum it up, Arsenal need goals. The team is pretty well stocked every area except in the goal-threats department. There aren't enough of them in the squad at the moment. Baptista, Aliadiere and Ljungberg should be let go in the summer. A winger should come in. A keeper to replace Lehmann should also come in. Henry needs to rediscover his form, or someone else needs to start scoring frequently in his place.

Lots of positives, lots of kids.

Nunu wrote:
    I'd take a fit Ljungberg over Hleb everytime.

That's not saying much. They both need to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Wengers youth policy has made the football world take notice.
    OK. They didn't win anything but for the majority of the Carling Cup Final Match their under 21 midfield ran the show against the likes of Ballack, Lampard and Essien.
    In that move alone Wenger's has put out a message to the world young footballers that if you are good enough you will get a chance to play at the highest level against the worlds best. Arsenal for a young footballer trying to make a breakthrough then they are infinately a better option then the chelsea's of this world. Hence the future best players in the world will consider arsenal more seriously as an option.

Not trying to start an argument but this policy cost Arsenal their only chance of silverware this year. Bad move in my opinion.

Arsenals problem is they need to stop fannying about in the 18 yard box and shoot already. Watched their last 2 games and they just tried to walk it into the net. and Honestly that makes for attractive football. Don't get me wrong some of their play up the field is great with some great running etc but when it gets to the final third i think they try to over complicate things.

finally for a team like Arsenal to have there season finished on the 7th of march is just not good enough. their going backwards.

Arsenal don't have the funds to compete with the likes of Chelsea and Man United in the transfer market. Youth is the only option they have. In the short run they're gonna be worse off but they simply don't have the money to be buying 4-5 new players every season. It's the best option in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jebusmusic

The major point about Arsenal's last two weeks for me is how it shows how good a manager Arsene Wenger really is.

If Mourinho or even Ferguson had had a run like that, out of three cups in two weeks and not oging to win the league, there would be serious talk of replacing them etc.

Especially with Mourinho, who is a glorified Fantasy Football Manager.

Wengers job is 100% safe, and that is because he is a step above the rest. The amount of youth talent at Arsenal is frightening. All the players mentioned above, plus a few that are unkown as of yet, such as Carlos Vela, Merida etc. Alexander Song has been running the show for Charlton since he joined as well.

If Wenger can add a good keeper (Buffon/Akinfeev/Boruc), a good CB such as Woodgate maybe, and possibly another striker, Arsenal will sweep it all in the next 5 years.

Youth is the only option they have.

First off, Arsenal do have the funds. The board have said it, Wenger has said it, but they don't seem to want to use it.
    Secondly, it's not like Arsenal don't spend money on these players, a certain striker cost them 7.5 million

Ok right maybe they do have funds to an extent, but out of the top 4 they have the least to spend with the cost of the new stadium.

If I could draw your attention to;
    €18 Million Michael Carrick
    €30 Million Rio Ferdinand
    €20 Million Wayne Rooney
    €11 Million Louis Saha
    €12 Million Cristiano Ronaldo
    €8 Million Patrice Evra
    This is recent, not counting Veron at €28 million :eek:

I'm not even going to get started on Chelsea!

I think it's quite clear that Arsenal do not have the financial muscle to compete with Man Utd and Chelsea. We have spent a bit (Reyes, Ade, cost a bit) but we also recouped a large sum by selling on players (Ashley Cole for instance)

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, IMO what Arsenal need is;
    1) Artur Boruc to replace Jens
    2) A proven goalscorer in the Ruud Van Nistelrooy/Drogba mould. We need to score more direct goals, ones that may not be pretty (on the results sheets it doesn't say how many passes led to a goal, it just says goal.)
    3) A finished article, experienced player to add a bit of bite, drive and determination to the team. To drag results out on poor days.
    4) Set pieces. Defending and attacking of must improve. Henry and Ade are both over 6'2"....yet how many headers do they score?

There is serious potential in the squad though, a few tweaks and careful additions and they could be very dangerous. A bit of humility from Arsene wouldn't go astray the odd time either.

As for Freddie Ljungberg, he has been a great servant to the club, he was electric in the days when he used to get 10-12 goals a season (2002 title sticks in my mind), however he has declined hugely in the last 3 years and unfortunately I don't want passengers at the club.

That's not saying much. They both need to go.
    Hleb shouldn't go, he has been one of the better players this season. Poor in the last few games, but Arsenal are generally a poorer side without him. He doesn't score goals, but neither do Fabregas or Rosicky.
    AthAnRi wrote:
    Not trying to start an argument but this policy cost Arsenal their only chance of silverware this year. Bad move in my opinion.

finally for a team like Arsenal to have there season finished on the 7th of march is just not good enough. their going backwards.
    It's a long term policy, so fielding the youngsters in the CC final may be a benefit in the long term. Who is to say the senior players would have done any better?

The league is the only true measuring stick, and they are doing better in that than last season. They aren't going backwards.

Also if you cast your mind back to the sheer amount of games Arsenal have had to play in the last 3 weeks, 2 FA Cup Replays, A CC final, Champs League etc All the while Henrys been injured, RVP is injured, we've had players banned, Gallas is only coming back now. I'm not sure but I think its about the 3rd straight week we've had sat-wed-sat etc games.

I doubt anyone could cope with that amount of fixtures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

AthAnRi wrote:
    Arsenals problem is they need to stop fannying about in the 18 yard box and shoot already. Watched their last 2 games and they just tried to walk it into the net.

In a nutshell exacly what I was gonna write. They are a joy to watch in full flow but will never challenge for trophies if they don't take their chances. A goal is a goal, whether it comes off a defender's arse or a beautiful four man attacking move followed by a twenty yard strike into the top corner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

One bit of good news today, Merida signs professional for the Gooners.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/6432423.stm

This guy is meant to be as good as Cesc plus he seems to score more goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i think people are being a bit harsh on Arsenal here.... fact is when they come out to play they are the best team in the premiership.

i don't think they need another striker. fact is both van Persie and Henry are still 5th and 7th in the Prem top scorers. despite van Persie being out now for over a month, and Henry also having injury problems. having said that though if the oppertunity to get Eto'o in came up they should go for it without question.

their biggest problem is in motivation on the pitch. Henry isn't a captain. the extra responsibility seems too have affected his game, he plays more deep i think, he seems more negative than ever and doesn't motivate his team when they play bad, rather scorn at them and make them feel inferior from what i see. I also think he's one of the reasons Arsenal score so few from midfield these days. The relative newcomers like Hleb seem afraid to shoot for incurring his wrath should they miss. Captaincy should be handed to Touré without question. Also this trophyless past few years seems to have really affected Wenger's composure, and having him agonise on the bench when they are failing to take their chances only compounds things i feel. They also don't seem to have anyone bar Touré to fire them up for those unfashionable away games.

Also Gallas and Terry were worked like dogs by Chelsea over the past two seasons, it's no surprise to me that they both have had injury problems this season.

If I could draw your attention to;
    €18 Million Michael Carrick
    €30 Million Rio Ferdinand
    €20 Million Wayne Rooney
    €11 Million Louis Saha
    €12 Million Cristiano Ronaldo
    €8 Million Patrice Evra (actually 5.5 million)
    This is recent, not counting Veron at €28 million

I'm not even going to get started on Chelsea!

I think it's quite clear that Arsenal do not have the financial muscle to compete with Man Utd and Chelsea. We have spent a bit (Reyes, Ade, cost a bit) but we also recouped a large sum by selling on players (Ashley Cole for instance)

What an United havn't? What about the 24 million Beckham, or Veron to Chelsea for 15 million, or the 12 million we got for Mikel, or the 8ish milllion for Van Nist.

Lets just take a look at some of Arsenals spending,
    Denilson - 3.4 million
    Hleb - undisclosed, but estimated at the time to be about 10 million(incl. performances)
    Adebayor - 7 mill
    Walcott - 5 mill (maybe 12 depending on performances)
    Rosicky - 6.8
    Reyes - 10.5

Uniteds netspend last year was actually negative. I'm not saying United don't spend more than United do, but to suggest that Arsenal don't spend a ****load of money themselves is just silly.
    Chelsea are 1st
    Liverpool and United are joint second in spending
    Arsenal are a close 4th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

United spent on Rooney what Arsenal spent on about 4 or 5 of those players above. and Arsenal have gotten in a lot more players than United of late.

but yer right, i think it's more a case of Arsenal being a bit more shrewd in the market, buying players before the hype really beings to multiply, with the exception of Walcott i guess. They could probably match United's spending if they wished. Also considering what United have to fork over to service the Glazer's debt it's no wonder they aren't spending as much in the transfer market of late.

gandalf wrote:
    One bit of good news today, Merida signs professional for the Gooners.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/6432423.stm

This guy is meant to be as good as Cesc plus he seems to score more goals.
    Hype. He scores goals but he isn't as good as Cesc. I've seen him the odd time and by most accounts he is some way off the first team. Cesc had starred in a Carling Cup run by the time he was 17.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    Uniteds netspend last year was actually negative. I'm not saying United don't spend more than United do, but to suggest that Arsenal don't spend a ****load of money themselves is just silly.
    Chelsea are 1st
    Liverpool and United are joint second in spending
    Arsenal are a close 4th
    I'd be surprised if that is the case. Arsenal's net spending over the past 5 years has been about 30-35 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Didn't Portsmouth and Tottenham have bigger transfer budgets this season than Arsenal?

My thoughts:

Since Lehmann will almost certainly leave at season's end I'd suggest moving for Given, Boruc, Buffon or Ak (CSKA Moskow's goalie).

Probably don't need to spend on an experienced defender since Gallas should return to full fitness for next season. Clichy, Toure, Gallas and Hoyte (with Eboue, Djourou, and Traore in reserve) is a formidable back line.

Central midfield is looking strong with Fabregas, Denilson, Gilberto and Diaby all competing.

Rosicky is a good choice for a winger since he's willing to take long shots. Hleb and Wallcott should be subs. Wallcott for when we need pace and Hleb when we need to wind time down. We should play Van Persie as a winger more often. He has proven that he can play well in this position. He is a good striker however his style is too much like Henry's and what we need up front is variety. That's why I think he should play on the wing.

Up front we need an Ian Wright style striker, ie: someone who although not the quickest or fanciest player but has great positioning and can score 'ugly' goals. Someone like this would compliment Henry. Adebayor is useful and I like his attitude, but I don't think he's good enough to be in the starting XI. I'd use him as a late sub to cause havoc among defenders for set pieces.

To get transfer funds i suggest not purchasing Baptista who despite his Cup goal record should have scored a lot more considering the chances he gets. He just lacks imagination, technical skill, pace, vision, passing, finishing, positioning.... etc.
    Then we can hopefully get 8 or 9 million selling Reyes to one of the continental superclubs. Hopefully this will be enough to fund a goalkeeper and a decent 'fox in the box'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I'm wondering. How do the Arsenal fans feel this yeaar that your season has ended before Spurs?

Poor attempt at a troll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

iregk wrote:
    I'm wondering. How do the Arsenal fans feel this yeaar that your season has ended before Spurs?
    It feels good that most likely next season Arsenal will be playing Champions League football and Spurs won't. It also feels good to have beaten them twice already this season. But hey, best of luck to our neighbours in the UEFA Cup (and I say that with no sarcasm).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

BBC says Henry is out for the season !

SofaKing wrote:
    BBC says Henry is out for the season !

What season? Haven't you read the title of this thread? Arsenal's season is over

jank wrote:
    Other youngsters. Clichy, Traroe, Walcott, Hoyte, Djourou, Eboue have the potential to become world class players.
    Some might not become world class palyers. But they have proved they are good enough for the first team for Arsenal. They now need to establish consistency where by they put in top class performances week in week out and to drive the club forward.
    I still maintain that unless Arsenal can bring in players to support the youth then they'll be stuck in the third/fourth tier of the Premier League for some time to come.

Buffon and Ribery to move to Arsenal? Both players would cost at least £20 million a pop and would demand massive salaries. That's money that Arsenal can only dream of at the moment (barring a the Henry cash cow being banked).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Arsenal still have to qualify for CL, no?

SofaKing wrote:
    Arsenal still have to qualify for CL, no?

They're 5 points clear of 5th with 2 games in hand. It shoudn't be too much of an ask for them to finish 4th. I'm sure the aim is to finish 3rd anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement