Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista error

• 08-03-2007 1:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭

A mate of mine got a brand new lappie with Windows Vista installed.
    Norton Internet Security was on it already so I just downloaded the updates and assumed he'd be OK.
    However now he keeps getting this pop-up "Windows Explorer has stopped working" and he can't use Windows while it is on the screen.
    When you close it down it opens up again.
    Windows Defender also reports that there is a Trojan called Zlob on the machine, I don't know if this is the cause of the problem, (Symantec reports it's threat level as low).
    After googling "Windows Explorer has stopped working" I got a load of hits but all the solutions involved being able to use Windows to fix it (which of course I can't).
    I told him not to touch Vista (if it was me I would have formatted the yoke the minute I got it and installed XP instead) but he wouldn't listen.
    I presume the solution is a format and re-install but before I do I want to know has anyone else come across this problem with Vista and can they help?
    If so, I would apprciate it, thanks.

Edit:He took it back to the shop, it's malicious spyware called Spy Dawn which installed itself and has deleted some DLL's.
    I don't know how it happpened because I downloaded the Norton definitions the very second we started it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Not sure why you think it is a Vista Problem, but Zlob is a remote control trojan which allows the attacker to perform actions on the compromised computer.

It is listed as low risk by Symantec because there are not that many copies out there in the wild. However when the computer is controled like that, it may download other more dangerous malware or be used for spamming, dos attacks etc.

Not sure of the source of the infection, but XP would not have prevented it.

Symantec reports that it is easy to remove, but is suspect that the reason that explorer was crashing was that Zlob tries to attach itself to the explorer process and may have damaged.

If it is only a new PC, best thing is to reinstall.

And get something better than symantec av

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭lukin

Not sure why you think it is a Vista Problem, but Zlob is a remote control trojan which allows the attacker to perform actions on the compromised computer.
    Probably cause there's always probs with a new OS.

If it is only a new PC, best thing is to reinstall.
    Yeah but we didn't make any recovery discs before the problem started and there's no Vista disc with the machine
    And get something better than symantec av

Thought Symantec was the best but when he gets it back from the shop I'll put AVG on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

lukin wrote:
    Yeah but we didn't make any recovery discs before the problem started and there's no Vista disc with the machine

I hate corps that dont give you an OS disk. Dell have the same practices.
    And they are surprised when people download it illegally.
    Did they charge him for bringing it back for "repair"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭lukin

I hate corps that dont give you an OS disk. Dell have the same practices.
    And they are surprised when people download it illegally.
    Did they charge him for bringing it back for "repair"?

Yeah, they are foing to do a "shop start" for him. €65.

Advertisement