Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Shepherd Dog Puppy

Options
  • 08-03-2007 2:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Can anyone recommend the best nutrician for a growing german shepherd dog? As my dog has had many health problems relating to the breed and I may consider changing diet to prevent the new puppy getting ill like our older ones lost their sight. Any advice appreciated. thankyhou.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭flynnc

what are you using at the mo and what have you used before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

What you are looking for is large breed puppy food (as opposed to just regular puppy food). If you can find Royal Canin, they have breed specific food that should work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

What sort of problems have you had?

Hills also do a puppy feed for larger breeds with special levels of calcium and energy to control growth rate, if it's excessive growth rate you're worried about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ballsofire23

Thanks for replies all.
    I have been importing a brand I used back home in Germany. It seems to make them healthy but long term, they are sluggish and growth rate is not up to what I expected.
    They seem to grow little compared to other sister and brother dogs.
    Royal Canine yes, I have considered is it worth it?
    Another problem is bones, 2 dogs have very bad bones. And I was ripped off for an xray on my dogs spine. they found a injury and would not comment on what exactly caused it but it cost me 800euro and thankfully I had insurance.
    I breed the dogs, No. I only bred one bitch but out of 11 pups born only 4 survived so we were quiet upset that most of our dogs seem to grow little and the problem with the bitch and her pups was from a Hernia which we had removed from here abdominal area.

It's just unusual that an xray costs that much and they organised a 2nd opinino but I said No way. So is there something you can make from that.
    A dog with a spinal disc hitting on the spinal nerve? Any advice on that is welcome as you can imagine I can't afford dog xrays if they are that much. I can't believe the cost, I can't afford it. My daugher loves the dog in question he's just 1 year old and I can't afford to let him get ill.
    Is it something nutrician related?

Sorry for the rant and bad grammer, but I am totally shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I can't really recommend one, as so far I haven't needed one, but it sounds to me like your young dogs need to be seen in a proper animal clinic.

Sounds to me like they got a few more problems than just the right or wrong food.

It might also be a good idea to stop breeding until you know what went wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I do not breed dogs so can not really comment but I would see another vet ASAP & I agree with peasant the breeding should stop till you can work out what is wrong!

I have 10 dogs from jack russells to a rottweiller & all of my dogs are fed on bakers complete - all dogs have lots of energy & have shiney healthy coats & *touches wood* no health problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

I suppose you shouldn't really breed from them if both of them have bad bones as you say , the breed seems to fairly messed up from breeding for show or whatever.

Advertisement