Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU Temp (new build)

• 08-03-2007 9:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭

Lads,

Built a quad core system last night and im using a Zalman 9500.

On boot up the bios is registering at around 38 - 39 degrees, this seems a little high to me, i was wondering if, that is way above what it should be or is this normal...

Would it be worth my while getting a Tuniq120 and trying that out?

Oh Also
    Whats the best/most accurate tool to measure CPU Temp?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Ignore bios temp readouts. They are almost always +/-10c out.

The best tool to use is speedfan, as it not only monitors each core, but diode temp ( under the socket ) hdd's chipset and can handle fan speeds too.

The tuniq would be a great investment, as it is the best cooler on the market at the moment(bit noisey at full speed though). But you could always go with a small watercooling setup. or even go for peltier cooling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

How much hassle is setting up a water cooling a system?

Will it be a major mess, and how expensive for a decent Water cooling system?

For top end you could be looking maybe 300€. But it would be overkill just for the cpu. As a top end system would cool the cpu, chipset and graphics card.

I bought a coolermaster aquagate before, was only 60€ and cooled the cpu 14c below the best cooler on the market.

Was very easy to setup, just cut the tubes to the required loop. make sure all connections are tight, fill the res and loop and off ya go.

www.watercooling.de have some nice stuff, and are reasonably priced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Anti wrote:
    The tuniq would be a great investment, as it is the best cooler on the market at the moment(bit noisey at full speed though).

get with the times :D The Thermalright Ultra 120+ is the new king of hill in aircooling. I'm personally going to be moving over to this beast when I upgrade next.

The only problem with thermalright is that their brackets/fixing never fit properly. And are usually of a bad quality build..

But the new coolermaster dual 120mm will probably be better. Well it should be considering the size of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

Anti wrote:
    The only problem with thermalright is that their brackets/fixing never fit properly. And are usually of a bad quality build..

Odd...I've always had the opposite experience with Thermalright products, and I think I've gone through 5 heatsinks from them. Always well made and easy to fit.
    Maybe I've just been lucky though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

hopeful wrote:
    Odd...I've always had the opposite experience with Thermalright products, and I think I've gone through 5 heatsinks from them. Always well made and easy to fit.
    Maybe I've just been lucky though.

He might be quoting the article I linked as they mention that they had a hard time fitting the Ultra 120+ with the 775 bracket

L31mr0d wrote:
    He might be quoting the article I linked as they mention that they had a hard time fitting the Ultra 120+ with the 775 bracket

I was just reading that article...seems it is a preproduction model...impressive results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Lads just a quick update,

I got rid of the thermal paste that came with my Zalman 9500

Replaced with Arctic Silver 5, Now idling at 35 degrees... Sweet and hopefully after the Arctic Silver Sets i might get even better speeds!!!

Cheers for the help, still strongly thinking about a water cooling solution though i might drop you a PM in a few weeks for some advice Anti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Creating a thread would be a better idea.

• Advertisement

I'd have to agree, as im not the most experienced here when it comes to watercooling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Nobody here is, although its been a while since I have seen a good watercooling thread. It's one of the few things I have a real passion for.

krazy_8s wrote:
    Nobody here is, although its been a while since I have seen a good watercooling thread. It's one of the few things I have a real passion for.

Same here...even though the newer aircooling stuff is getting close you still can't beat water...I think for me it is the challenge and the fear :D

Advertisement