Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Routine

• 08-03-2007 9:57am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what's everyone's routine? I usually end up doing about half 8 to 5, but most of the others in my lab aren't in until much later and stay later too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

This may sound odd, but I'm dead jealous of those of you doing the kind of research you do in a lab. At least you have set hours and then can walk away and see it as a day's work done. In humanities, it's like you have to go away and think Deep Thoughts for a month or two, then write something Deep and Meaningful.

As for routine, I'm working fulltime, so my resolution for Lent is to do an hour's study every single day, no matter what. It's working, more or less: I usually do an hour from 6 to 7 am befire going to work. In the evening my brain is fried, and there are too many distractions. I like the early mornings because nothing is going to happen: no-one is goint to ring or call by, and you can't make noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

UB wrote:
    This may sound odd, but I'm dead jealous of those of you doing the kind of research you do in a lab. At least you have set hours and then can walk away and see it as a day's work done. In humanities, it's like you have to go away and think Deep Thoughts for a month or two, then write something Deep and Meaningful.

As for routine, I'm working fulltime, so my resolution for Lent is to do an hour's study every single day, no matter what. It's working, more or less: I usually do an hour from 6 to 7 am befire going to work. In the evening my brain is fried, and there are too many distractions. I like the early mornings because nothing is going to happen: no-one is goint to ring or call by, and you can't make noise.

:o I don't think I have thought any deep thoughts today... in fact I'm not sure there are actually any in my thesis.. lol!
    What kind of humanities research do you do UB? (I do history)
    I tend to keep fairly regular hours, in the sense that I sit at my desk for most of the day. That doesn't necessarily mean I'm working though (like now for example:D ) I come in late morning (10/half 10) and usually leave around 7 or 8 in the evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Get up at seven. In college by half 8, coffee and a smoke. In the library at 9, and stick around (with food breaks etc) until 4. Then I leave it as is. Any more and I am wasting my time as I cannot concentrate after that. I tend to spend a lot of time reading early on, and the rest writing just to sort out the material for the day. Works ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

At the moment, sit around contemplating my navel and wondering why my MA isn't getting me a job.
    When I was writing my MA thesis, I'd come in around 11 and stay till around 8. Occasionally leave around 5 if it was one of those days where nothing is working out for you, occasionally stay till 11 or midnight if I had a deadline coming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

When doing my PhD fuklltime, (a mix of theoretical and experimental physics), I used to be in between 9-10am, often staying till 7-8pm.

I always worked better in the evening, but I liked being in for the morning coffee breaks and the banter in the tearoom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

At present in at 9am and leave anywhere between 9pm and not at all, but the pressure will end next week and then I can get back to my happy norm of in at 9 out by 6 or 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

i'm up at 7, leave for college somewhere betwen 8-8.30, and 'study' until 5 or 6.

trying to stick to that routine, otherwise i'll lose all motivation! i need my routine or else i'd never get anything done!

Advertisement