Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband connection and Vista

Options
  • 08-03-2007 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hi Folks,
    Has anyone here had problems connecting to the internet from a vista home premium pc using newtel broadband.
    A user here in work bought a new pc and said it takes 5 - 6 mins to load each page. She rang newtel and they said she was lucky to get on the internet at all, and that this was a microsoft problem !!!!!!!!
    Now , I haven't had a chance to look at the pc yet but was wondering if any of ye had the same problem. I am running a vista pc on the network here and all is fine.
    I'm guessing is a security setting or something thats set up incorrectly...
    The pc also came with Mcafee, which is a pig anyway,,,,,

Great answer from newtel all the same !!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Vista via a router (ethernet etc) should be perfectly fine, however Vista and a USB modem could have major issues due to lack of driver support.

Eircoms website lists support for Max OS9 and OSX aswell as
    Microsoft Windows 98SE (Second Edition) / Microsoft Windows ME (Millennium Edition) / Microsoft Windows 2000 / Windows XP. (Recommended Microsoft Windows XP SP 2).

Unless their supporting Vista and not just listing it on their website then they don't have to support anyone on Vista.

Ask the person in work are they using a router/ethernet modem or a USB modem to connect to broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 bcloh

Thanks Cabaal,
    I just found out that it's 'newtel' ??? that she has the broadband with.....phew, It's hard sometimes to get correct info from people.
    Sorry for the misleading title.

But I believe it could be the same problem.
    She has to wait till her son comes home to see if it's ethernet or usb, but I think it could be usb.

Just found out that the vista pc is connected to the internet via a Voyager 210 ADSL Router. This is using the ethernet/ RJ45 port. Now I'm confused. Ethernet should not need drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

if its onboard, no but pci card yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Onboard and PCI ethernet BOTH need drivers. Depending on model, Vista will have them. Since it works at all, then it DOES have driver.

Go into Network settings and disable ALL network devices (i.e. IEE1394) except the LAN / Ethernet.

Go into Ethernet adaptor properties and UNTICK everything except TCP/IP.
    Make sure the TCP/IP is set to automatic/DHCP for IP and automatic for DNS UNLESS the ADSL router is setup for Static LAN (in which case DNS and GAteway are the IP of the router, not the ISP settings).

• Advertisement

Apologies, I do realize that the Ethernet card/socket in the pc needs drivers to work. And I would take it that since this pc is brand new and shipped with Vista its hardware has all the drivers installed and that they are all vista compliant.
    What I did mean to say was if you connect to a DSL modem/router through the network port you did not need any “extra” drivers for this to work whereas you would need drivers if you connected it through the USB port.
    I was just wondering if anyone had problems with Vista and newtel. Obviously not.
    Thanks for all your help……..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

Yes, sorry, I should have said "onboard" would have drivers supplied by OS.

Only "mostly". Probabily true on a new PC pre-loaded with Vista. I wouldn't bet on everything else. I've had lots of PCs and Servers with "on board" graphics, sound and LAN etc that were a horror to track down on NT4.0, RH6.0, Win2000, XP, Ubuntu...

Then yer new PC with on board 1G or 10G "Ethernet" bought NEXT year won't have the drivers built in on today's Vista.

Plug n Play is an illusion. MS own Knowledge base at one stage called it an Aspiration rather than an actual standard. "Automatic" install (Plug and Play) on any OS only happens when the OS already knows about the device.

How many gadgets have you seen that have "Run CD install before connecting"? That proves "Plug & Play" is an evil lie.

Tried using a VGA projector or Composite Video TV on some laptops and seen "Plug & Play" go mad?

1) Install the drivers. Sometimes you need to reboot.
    2) Plug in device. Sometimes you need to reboot. This is Plug & Pray :D

If the device takes Memory cards and uses Networking on Ethernet, USB or IEE1384, then driver may fail if Memory Card is inserted during connection "Unknown Device". Only plugin card after device recognised and only 2nd time device recognised after a reboot.

Yes. You need no extra drivers to connect Router to Ethernet port.

Some non-network devices on Network Ethernet *DO* need extra drivers (Scanners, printers, UNIX/APPLE/AS400s etc) to talk to them in XP/Vista

Advertisement