Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirty Barbers

Options
  • 08-03-2007 10:34am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Forgive me if this is the wrong forum to ask in, but I wasn't to sure where else to ask.

I went into a barbers on Paddy Browns Road, Waterford City yesterday with a friend who was also getting a hair cut. The barber that cut my hair also cut my friends hair and used the exact same scissors and towel to clean of any hair on my neck. I could see the hairs of the last person on it! I noticed this was being done with the other two barbers - they were using the exact same scissors and towels with every customer and not cleaning them of. They also used the razor blades with each person - and there storage area for the different blades were plastic containers and they were FULL of hair! It was disgusting.

They only swept the floor once while I was there - all hair from one section into a corner.

When I expressed concern afterwards, I was told by my friend that they always do that and never clean any of their stuff for each new customer.

Is that OK to be done? Is there any law or anything against that? It just seems so wrong!

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

vote with your feet and don't go their anymore, isn't what their doing likely to transmit lice and stuff?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

It was only a once off, I normaly go to a different barbers but it was to far out from where I was.

Just concerned in general, and feel something should be done about it instead of just ignoring the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

You could try contacting the enviromental health agency or whatever they are called. It's possible they might be able to do something....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sully04 wrote:
    It was only a once off, I normaly go to a different barbers but it was to far out from where I was.

Just concerned in general, and feel something should be done about it instead of just ignoring the problem.

I'd have to agree, haven't seen the Jolly Barbers with that carry on, guess I won';t be ever going to the one you went to :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Sully04 wrote:
    Hi all,

Forgive me if this is the wrong forum to ask in, but I wasn't to sure where else to ask.

I went into a barbers on Paddy Browns Road, Waterford City yesterday with a friend who was also getting a hair cut. The barber that cut my hair also cut my friends hair and used the exact same scissors and towel to clean of any hair on my neck. I could see the hairs of the last person on it! I noticed this was being done with the other two barbers - they were using the exact same scissors and towels with every customer and not cleaning them of. They also used the razor blades with each person - and there storage area for the different blades were plastic containers and they were FULL of hair! It was disgusting.

They only swept the floor once while I was there - all hair from one section into a corner.

When I expressed concern afterwards, I was told by my friend that they always do that and never clean any of their stuff for each new customer.

Is that OK to be done? Is there any law or anything against that? It just seems so wrong!

Thanks in advance for any advise.

era tis a barbers, not a operating theater or food outlet.

is this what we have become in Ireland a moaning, whinging, whining society come on, he is cutting hair.
    but that is only my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭KC81

I dont think its just moaning, i think the op is justified in his opinion. Any area where there is going to be a high volume of people should adhere to a strict cleaning procedure.
    Although using the same brush i wouldnt give out too much about. Isn't lice visible in the hair? I thought all salons /barbers checked that u didnt have head lice when u first sat down and if u did have head lice you would be told you couldnt have your hair cut.
    But not cleaning the blades is rank. some people have pimples on their head that get cut by the blades ---> blood on blades?? that cant be good.
    Even putting aside health issues, when you pay money for a service it is your right to expect not only a good service but that the environment you get it in is clean and well presented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

KC81 wrote:
    Any area where there is going to be a high volume of people should adhere to a strict cleaning procedure.

pity we cant get the hospitals to adhere to any type of cleaning procedure.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Towel I wouldnt be to bothered about.

Put using the same blades and stuff to cut everyones hair without washing is just rank.

I normaly go to Barbers Lane and iv not yet to complain about them. They clean up after themselves all the time.

Advertisement