Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Snapper

• 08-03-2007 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Anyone see this new magazine type thing? Good to see theres still a desire to do this sort of thing if you ask me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Is it a new magazine for UCD or Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I got the impression that it was a all Ireland thing and that they produced a couple of varied ones-ie one each for the big collages so as to get peoples attentions. Its a good idea. Means we get to know what evil things are happening over in Trinity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Cool I'll see if I can get one around the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I saw it. It was cheap, dumb, and nasty. Give me the spanner any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

I can't believe people wasted money printing that. Utter crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Agreed! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 GuffFromSwine

I saw it. It was cheap, dumb, and nasty. Give me the spanner any day.

Would you care to elaborate on how it is cheap, dumb or nasty? I'd say fair play, at least its got a legitimate target whereas the spanner basically make up their stories which leads to it being hit and miss at best when it comes to being funny.Also the humour in it is as witty and perceptive as anything the spanner has to offer. It places the regular attempt at satire in the 'Turbine' in stark releif at any rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Nothing is as bad as the glossy, unfunny, ad-ridden 'Mongrel'.

Screw you :P. Mongrel's cool!

funktastic wrote:

Yeah you're right.Hence why something like this is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Mongrel often has one or two very good article (I'll always love them for having an interview with Peter Singer).

Would you care to elaborate on how it is cheap, dumb or nasty?.....................Also the humour in it is as witty and perceptive as anything the spanner has to offer.
    One example would be how it refered to (rough quote) "photoshopped posters of girls who haven't yet caught up with the bulemia craze". I have a very high tolerence for "offbeat jokes", and for offensive humour, but I know that girl, and she doesn't deserve to have herself called fat by a few thousand flyers around campus. Its far too easy to know who they were talking about, and it was just nasty, and not funny. It was a cheap shot which showed a very weak imagination IMO.
    I thought that the satire was weak overall, it never made me laugh, except when I read the bit about Roisín Ingle, and that was just because she annoys me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

It's no Slate.

Though the Britney thing gave me a cheap laugh :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

funktastic wrote:

Ah come on!Who didnt laugh when Eoin Butler,society diarist extrodinaire, got sent a letter from Mondos lawyers!
    Im really unsure of the snapper.Its so unfunny Im not sure wether its meant to be satirical or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

One example would be how it refered to (rough quote) "photoshopped posters of girls who haven't yet caught up with the bulemia craze". I have a very high tolerence for "offbeat jokes", and for offensive humour, but I know that girl, and she doesn't deserve to have herself called fat by a few thousand flyers around campus. Its far too easy to know who they were talking about, and it was just nasty, and not funny. It was a cheap shot which showed a very weak imagination IMO.
    Why are you only implying one girl? I too would never say any of the girls running in the elections as fat, far from it, they're just implying that they're not anorexic. You're the one impying that one girl in particular is fat by bringing it up. Think about it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

http://The-Snapper.bebo.com

Its the kind of thing you read for the five minutes before a lecture starts, purely because its there - not because of its blatant bias, repetitive humour or crass generalisations.

Although I did enjoy the Roisin Ingle thingy. That woman is so annoying.

http://The-Snapper.bebo.com

Its the kind of thing you read for the five minutes before a lecture starts, purely because its there - not because of its blatant bias, repetitive humour or crass generalisations.

Although I did enjoy the Roisin Ingle thingy. That woman is so annoying.

you seem very quick to rubbish it without providing any examples of the flaws you mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Taken from the above link:

"Tribune writer Gobby Mac****e", refering to the writer of that traveller piece.

From that....thing handed around college:

"The Snapper: 'because everything else is ****'."

"To introduce young people to our democratic system and show them that their votes really count, it's only fitting that in college they're allowed to decide which eager bollix gets to put 'President of the UCDSU' on their CV...."

S/he also refers to Barry Colfer's and Ciara Brennan's camgaigns as "schemeing".

I'm not a big fan of the SU, so don't think I'm trying to defend them. I just think the Snapper is terrible.

If its attempting satire, it needs to to be funny. If its not attempting satire, then its just sensationalist media.

Meh. Maybe I'm just getting old.

awh, poor gufffromswine doesn't like his/his friend's magazine being insulted :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

you seem very quick to rubbish it without providing any examples of the flaws you mention.
    And what would be the point in that? Who is he debating? What is he objectively trying to prove?

Its pretty hard to prove you think something is shít.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Who the hell is Roisín Ingle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

A large amorphous mass that writes the most innane weekly articles in the Irish Times Culture section. She does other journalist stuff as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Sangre wrote:
    A large amorphous mass that writes the most innane weekly articles in the Irish Times Culture section. She does other journalist stuff as well.
    Yeah. Basically the type that wouldn't have the job if the editors of both the Irish Times Magazine and Irish Times itself weren't women. God forbid any other editors might fill their newspapers with stuff like news, political analysis or sport. Gasp...

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Thanks.

I don't really see the need for the snapper. We all ready have a faustus and a talleyrand. The snapper isn't even as funny as those two, and they're not funny either.

Although, I did think this was funny (rough paraphrasing):
    The snapper: "How dare the turbine make fun of travellers!"..."that's like slagging blacks"..."the holocaust is hilarious".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Thanks.

I don't really see the need for the snapper. We all ready have a faustus and a talleyrand. The snapper isn't even as funny as those two, and they're not funny either.
    ".

Theres no fustus anyomore,thank God. Thats at least one thing the tribune has got right this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

I miss Faustus.

/unashamed hack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Sangre wrote:
    And what would be the point in that? Who is he debating? What is he objectively trying to prove?

Its pretty hard to prove you think something is shít.
    QFT.

I really liked Faustus though, and I think Talleyrand used to be pretty amusing, back in the day... whenever that was. Maybe 3-4 years ago? Jesus I've been here too long...

The Snapper's rubbish though. I really found it funny that one guy ("Gruff" or something) tried to justify its existness because of how bad the Mongrel is...

Let's be absolutely clear on this: The Mongrel. Is. Fúcking. Wicked.

End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spectator#1

Here here! Mongrel is great.

The Papper, The Slipper, whatever it's called, is - in a word: sh!t.

Feigned irreverence - intelligence + self-aggrandizement - eloquence - cursory verbal abilities + proselytising - humour = not good.

I was a bit embarrassed reading it if I'm really honest, it's not even **** enough to be controversial. It's like watching a six-year old autistic try to do stand-up.

Roffle @ Spectator

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I picked it up and had a glance and thought it was a load of crap. Not one thing in it was funny. Nothing. It was all just sensationalist Slate-isms.

Gives me a mind to make my own flyer.

Advertisement