Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backpacker travel insurance

• 08-03-2007 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to find a cheap travel insurance policy for a 3 months trip this summer. I've tried all the obvious companies from a Google search, but most of the websites in Ireland all seem to offer the same policy, just rebranded (A policy offered by Blue Insurance in the UK, same policy as USIT give for people on J1s), but it seems to be more expensive for the same level of cover from other companies.

I've had a look at a few others, like Ace insurance and AIB, with AIB being the cheapest so far (see here).

Any recommendations of other decent, but cheap, backpacker insurance policies available online?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ml

I bought VHI's - 49 euro for the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Absolut

ml wrote:
    I bought VHI's - 49 euro for the year

Thanks, but are you talking about VHIs multi-trip travel insurance? If you are, I already have a multi-trip policy with VHI, but its got a maximum duration of 60 days for any single trip. So my three month trip wont be covered by this. So I'm really looking for a "long stay" or "backpacker" policy, that offers coverage for 3 months+.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DiscoHugh

^^ yea I'm in the same boat.

so VHI doesn't cover the long trip then no??

No, VHI wont cover you for any trip longer than 60 days (I think it's 60 days, but I'm not totally sure. It's definetly not more than 60 anyway, possibly 30).

I ended up just going with Ace insurance. I called them to ask a question about their cancellation policy and they seemed very helpful, so I just went to their website took out a 3 month backpacker policy. They seem to have a good policy, and they're relatively cheap.

[http://www.acebackpackerinsurance.ie/?portal=6&afl=4215]This[/url] is the site that I booked on. It came in at €99 for three months worldwide, excluding the US and Canada.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

www.flightsearchers.ie seems (to me) to be the cheapest for a pretty good package for backpackers insurance.
    got 1 year for myself and the missus for ~430e last september

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭flossie

I used www.insureandgo.com for a year travelling. I made 6claims and they paid for all bar one (which was fair enough). Very very cheap, and they covered my medical conditions for no additional premiums (acute uveitis and slipped disc/back trouble). We paid about €300 for the year, having paid the additional extra for no excess (well worth it in the long run!).

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ml

Absolut wrote:
    No, VHI wont cover you for any trip longer than 60 days (I think it's 60 days, but I'm not totally sure. It's definetly not more than 60 anyway, possibly 30).

yeah they say the trip can only be for 60 days...but how do they know how long your trip was for?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭shakeydude

I think that AIB are underwritten by Ace anyway so it would be cheaper to go with them than the bank themselves(Lord knows they wouldnt give you value for money....but thats another matter:D :D ) I went with them for 9 months backpacker trip but I made no claim so I cant give advice in that regard

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DiscoHugh

pardon my ignorance but with these online insurance companies once you pay by credit card are you insured? or do you have to wait for some notification (I'm off on Monday):o

DiscoHugh wrote:
    pardon my ignorance but with these online insurance companies once you pay by credit card are you insured? or do you have to wait for some notification (I'm off on Monday):o

When I booked with Ace I was given a policy number and insurance certificate straight away, and a copy was e-mailed to me. Just need to download and print it. I'm fairly sure the other companies would probably start the policy as soon as you purchase too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 brianGal

i just got an online quote from getcover.com for €270 for one year
    travel worldwide. I haven't looked into the policy in much detail or
    the t&c's but this is roughly €80 cheaper than ace. Has anybody
    heard or had any dealings with these guys??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

ml wrote:
    Absolut wrote:
    yeah they say the trip can only be for 60 days...but how do they know how long your trip was for?

If you have to claim they'll ask for proof of travel - e.g boarding passes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

brianGal wrote:
    i just got an online quote from getcover.com for €270 for one year
    travel worldwide. I haven't looked into the policy in much detail or
    the t&c's but this is roughly €80 cheaper than ace. Has anybody
    heard or had any dealings with these guys??

I used them (getcover) in 2004 for a 5 month trip. Can't remember the price I was quoted but it cost me in the end. They initially tried every trick in the book to avoid paying me €450 for an xray and consultant after I broke my arm in Hawaii. You get a UK number to ring when away and they just give you a reference number – that means f all in the end.

So after 4 or 5 letters to Galway and various time wasting on their side they eventually paid up. It probably cost me another €200 in form filling and time wasted trying to get the payment. Their reason for not paying was so plucked out of the sky it was unbelievable but I guess a lot of people just give up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 brianGal

that doesn't sound too postive, might go with ace so, i've only heard good
    things about them so far. cheers. BTW planning on stopping off in Hawaii,
    would you recommend it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

brianGal wrote:
    BTW planning on stopping off in Hawaii,
    would you recommend it?
    I only stayed in Honolulu, Oahu as I had a broken arm with a cast (couldn’t really walk any further than the beach and the main tourist shopping strip) so can’t really say much except that the local people I met in that area were total tourist robots.

Called a taxi from the hotel to the airport and got a proper white stretch limo working as a normal taxi which was cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 samdriscoll

Hi DiscoHugh,
    As you have asked about the online companies..........first of all I want to clear that these companies are not only online companies..........they made their websites for the customer convenience, most of the customers don't want to waste their time to reach the office of the service provider !! that is why It takes time to complete the documentation !!! otherwise one should go for the office !!!
    I had a travel insurance once when I visited to dublin last year with XXX and really I don't faced any problem with them, they were quite understanding and helping:o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 samdriscoll

Well....you are looking for a cheap backpacker travel insurance. You have to choose an attribute from these two
    --> Cheap Travel Insurance
    --> Travel Insurance with Good assistance

You can get one at a time among these two. Because if company offers cheap travel insurance they might cut many covers like international travel insurance, luggage stolen etc. So you might be go for the insurance companies who can provide better assistance.
    My recommendation is XXX which will be entitled to provide the customer better assistance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Will they ever learn ?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Only one Keano

I am on the look out for travel insurance at moment.

Heading to South America for 4/5 months in November and got quoted €277 travel insurance from trailfinders, who I booked my flights with.

Noticed nearly all the replies here were from 2007 so who are doing the best offers now for travel insurance? I also noticed prople mentioned some of the offers were cheaper because the level of cover was poor so would prefer to get the normal/proper cover.

One other question, it is wise to cancel your health insurance at home while away if you are covered for medical issues when away through the travel insurance or is it wise to keep it going even when away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

ya from reading over the old posts things have changed, as i know VHI now do lnsurance for backpackers etc, tho its expensive but is very good. for full health cover for a year of backpacking all around the world vhi quoted me around 700 mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

I use worldnomads whenever I travel for more than a couple of weeks. Mainly because you can take it up after you start travelling i.e. you don't have to start and finish your trip in your home country. Happy enough with the prices I've paid...

Thanks for the replies.

Was hoping to hear from guys/girls who are either just back from trip or just about to travel and have got sufficient cover at the best prices available as am a bit lost on this one.

I'm looking for 120+ days (away 140 days) cover and am going to South America.

Was also wondering on thoughts whether I should cancel or keep on my Irish health insurance along with travel insurance when away???

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I got VHI, something called World Traveller I think, it's the best one anyway. It was about 130 euros, and they refunded me without question during the volcano.

AXA are also good, I know people who have used them when in skiing accidents, without problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

ml wrote: »

Because if your claim was for €300,000 and they could find a way of getting out of paying it, they will!

since the downturn insurers are employing private investigators and everything. They can delay your claim for months or years while they seek evidence to support your claim. Police reports from abroad, copies of your passports and boarding passes, etc.

Also, it would be fraudulent to lie on your claim form.

I got VHI, something called World Traveller I think, it's the best one anyway. It was about 130 euros, and they refunded me without question during the volcano.

AXA are also good, I know people who have used them when in skiing accidents, without problems.

Thanks - I will look into that as already have my health insurance with VHI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Suzzyta

Hi all,

:confused:

I would need help and advice on Backpacker Insurances. I am traveling to Kenya as a volunteer for 2 months and obviously I will spend most of my time in slums and rural areas.

I would need help with some of the wordings e.g. what does Excess mean. Is this the amount I have to pay to be able to claim for something specific back?

Also does Personal Accident include death ? E.g. a quote from this website https://www.travelcoverquote.com/appe10/QuoteST.asp

covers death up to 30k EUR. I didn't find any other insurance which includes death. Is this something that is usually covered under the Personal Accident without being mentioned in the cover details or is the above example only an exception?

Also if anything happens to me and I need to be transported home this would be included. Would this fall under the Medical Expenses? What abour Legal fees?? Also Search and Rescue ACE is quoting up to 5k only..

Anyone can give me some advice??

Thanks very much

Suz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Suzzyta wrote: »
    Hi all,

:confused:

I would need help and advice on Backpacker Insurances. I am traveling to Kenya as a volunteer for 2 months and obviously I will spend most of my time in slums and rural areas.

I would need help with some of the wordings e.g. what does Excess mean. Is this the amount I have to pay to be able to claim for something specific back?

Also does Personal Accident include death ? E.g. a quote from this website https://www.travelcoverquote.com/appe10/QuoteST.asp

covers death up to 30k EUR. I didn't find any other insurance which includes death. Is this something that is usually covered under the Personal Accident without being mentioned in the cover details or is the above example only an exception?

Also if anything happens to me and I need to be transported home this would be included. Would this fall under the Medical Expenses? What abour Legal fees?? Also Search and Rescue ACE is quoting up to 5k only..

Anyone can give me some advice??

Thanks very much

Suz

Excess is the amount you don't get paid when you make a claim. e.g. if you lost your camera which was insured for €200 but had an excess of €50 you can only claim €150.

Personal accident probably won't include death. Even your policy which says "up to" so it's possible they will not pay the full €30k. You would probably need to take out a life assurance product if you want a lumpsum payout on death.

If anything happened you and you were transported home.. that is called "repatriation" so you should make sure the policy has repatriation expenses (possibly included as part of medical expenses).

Legal fees.. depends on what its for. Your policy will probably have personal liability insurance but you need to read the T&Cs to find out what legal fees would be covered.

You should probably call into a broker to find out what policy is suitable. Also go with a reputable company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Savvas

VHI cover only if you go straight to a hospital, if anything happens at the hotel at the beach or if you ask a medical help from medical centres or private doctors they NEVER PAY!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

vhi global is very good, its expensice but will cover you for most things, even cover high rish sports etc, they also have aside from medical insurance they give a good level of travel insurance, something you would not expect vhi to do.
    http://www.vhi.ie/info/global/index.jsp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Savvas

Whitehawk are you working for VHI?

Advertisement