Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backpacker travel insurance

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

lol god no...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Savvas

Bad luck! because if you was working for them i could send you hundreds of declined cases by vhi for our medical centre!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Seems like there's no decent insurer around. I might send off a few mails, and see if anyone can provide us some info on a decent company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭0verblood

I used ace insure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Savvas

Yes ACE is a good one!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Did either of you have to claim though?

Savvas, do you work in some place in Cyprus that deals with this sort of thing? You probably know best which ones are easy to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Fags are Evil

I have just reluctantly booked my insurance with backpackertravelinsurance.ie. If I'm honest I feel like somewhat of a mug for doing so but in the event of a life theatening situation it may be worthwhile.

It was 86 quid for 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

I have just reluctantly booked my insurance with backpackertravelinsurance.ie. If I'm honest I feel like somewhat of a mug for doing so but in the event of a life theatening situation it may be worthwhile.

It was 86 quid for 6 months.

I booked backpackerstravelinsurance just to tick a box. I don't expect the need to make a claim and if I do I will hold them to the policy T&Cs.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

Whitehawk wrote: »
    vhi global is very good, its expensice but will cover you for most things, even cover high rish sports etc, they also have aside from medical insurance they give a good level of travel insurance, something you would not expect vhi to do.
    http://www.vhi.ie/info/global/index.jsp

€1000!!! thats madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

That is because it is medical plus travel insurance. I took it out one year when I was living in Belarus. I wanted to have the full insurance and I also didn't want to have to go through all the waiting periods when i got home. That was important to me, but I suppose for some people it wouldn't be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Just booked backpackertraveinsurance.ie for 6 months in Asia = €125 per person!
    Its nice to have peace of mind in case something does happen, and also their prices are hard to beat in fairness, well from the searching i've done anyways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Coolbrian

Hey, I'm just back from a 8 month trip, I used worldnomads, I thought their policy and price was perfect. They come highly recommended on lonely planet forums and you can claim online aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kevcol

Hey, I know this is an old thread but it might be worth asking here. I'm going on a RTW trip at the end of the month and I'm wondering what level of travel insurance to get. In the grade 3 of the activities that they cover, the only thing I'd be doing is white water rafting or zip lining. To get the grade 3 insurance is €100 more expensive than the grade 2. Is it worth the extra money would ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Shepherd1

Take care, don't take the cheapest! A friend of mine go hurt in Indonesia and the insurance tried everything not to pay him his money back!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Demosthenes

I'm looking to buy insurance for a years' travel around New Zealand and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

This is the cheapest I have found at €140. Has anyone any experiences with this greatcover.com?https://www.greatcover.com/IE/GRENewPol_CalPrice_backpacker.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

Try worldnomads.com. Probably the most popular backpacker insurance around.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Whichever Insurance you do end up buying make sure it has adequate cover for all the things which you are likely to do in NZ, rafting,Jetboating zorbing, skiing etc.
    Some of them also have a stipulation that you must inform them before you participate.
    Put simply the cheapest insurance may not be the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭5p9arw38djv2b4

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Whichever Insurance you do end up buying make sure it has adequate cover for all the things which you are likely to do in NZ, rafting,Jetboating zorbing, skiing etc.
    Some of them also have a stipulation that you must inform them before you participate.
    Put simply the cheapest insurance may not be the best.

World Nomad, although VHI Global is also pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭rojito

I had InsureaAndGo a few years back and was fairly happy with them. Buying it was pretty easy with the various options well-presented, I paid a little extra for an excess waiver.
    They covered an emergency hospital stay and refunded the majority of a tour which that interrupted. Also covered the theft of a camera (just the camera unit itself, not the case or memory cards as I couldn't provide receipts).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I've always used VHI Global. I always think the important thing about insurance is to pick one that will cover your claim without hassle: my parents had to claim on VHI Global a few years ago and it wasn't a problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement