Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

questions about becoming self employed

Options
  • 08-03-2007 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi,

Some of you out there might be able to advise me on becoming self employed.

I 'm leaving my current job soon to become a self employed IT support person (totally freelance and not contracted to a specific company).
    I'm giving myself a trial period of 3/4 months to see if it works out to plans.
    I will not be selling any goods, just service on an hourly rate.

I know that I need to register for VAT if I will turnover more than €25k and that I need to register with the revenue as self employed.

My questions really are
    1. As I don't know yet what my turnover will be (but would hope it will exceed 25k), do I have to register for VAT immediately or can I do this during the year ? Also should I be be charging customers VAT from the start?
    2. I hope to start earning asap, so if i keep track of earnings and expenses, can I register with the revenue later in the year or should I do it immediately.
    3. I also heard that you should register with the Dept of Family and welfare regarding PRSI...is this advisable?
    4. What should I have in place when I start, or can I get started and sort all this out afterwards.

My girlfriend is a dance teacher and went out on her own a few years back. She went to an accountant after a few months and they seem to have sorted all her affairs out.However they don't seem very good at answering her simple questions on PRSI etc.
    I do intend to go to an accountant when I can afford it and when I have got some idea of how things are going, but what questions should i be asking and can I leave all of the above to them ?

Any advice on the above is appreciated. I know there are various posts on this on boards already but each situation is slightly different.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭kcphoto

looks like i posted in the wrong section.
    I should have known accountants wouldn't give any advice for free.....(just joking)

Advertisement