Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asthma

• 08-03-2007 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭

My bf is not from Ireland (he hails from warmer climes!) and has recently been diagnosed with asthma.

He got a bit of a fright yesterday. He was on his way home from work on the dart and he suddenly couldn't breathe and felt really dizzy. His chest was very tight too. He went to the doctor and she diagnosed him with asthma. I thought that was a bit strange because he's 24 and i thought it was something you get as a kid. Apparently it's because he's used to warmer drier weather and a lot of immigrants from warmer countries get asthma after being in Ireland 18 months to a 2 years. She said the changing seasons can bring it on and it will be worse in spring and autumn.

He's quite scared because he's never been sick before. I tried telling him that it is quite common and he'll be fine but I guess he's not used to lots of people having asthma.

Is there anything I can do to help him out? To make the symptoms easier and limit his attacks? He hasn't been feeling great the last few weeks which apparently is connected. He's got head aches a lot and is tired very early at night. I feel bad that my country made him sick!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 curly shirley

I know you can get asthma at any age, I know people that got it in their 40s! if it's mild asthma he'll be fine and can carry on with everyday life, like myself. Just to have inhaler with him at all times, especially damp, wet days. It sounds like he could have had a panic attack too??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

IIRC Ireland has one of the worst climates for astma in the world. Its going to be a big problem with so many people with lungs unused to our climate start living here for a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

I also have Asthma.
    The best thing in did to improve my asthma was to stop using dairy products.
    http://www.naturopath.org.nz/homogen.html

except for dairy product not made for Homogenised Milk.

I also was treated by a Chiropractor in Belfast city for a long standing back problem and this also helped.

I used have 2 different inhales and two different sets of tablets to take. now I only need to inhalers.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Just curious, has anyone ever tried using one of those Powerbreathe things for their asthma, and if so was it any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 james02

Yes Watna you are right, because changing seasons can often worsen the symptoms of asthma, making the onset of summer and the start of the hayfever season a misery for Irish people with asthma and allergies, the Asthma Society of Ireland has said. The Society has just launched a new booklet, 'Asthma and Allergic Rhinitis' aimed at helping the thousands of Irish people with asthma whose symptoms are made worse by hayfever.

<snip>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

I was diagnosed with it when I was young, just mild mind you, I've kinda grown out of it but it doenst really stop me from doing stuff. Only by bone idleness does that. That said I can feel the benefit of an inhaler before sport or that.

Advertisement