Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does it take to be a celebrity?

• 08-03-2007 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭

It's said that Vice Admiral Horatio Nelson was the first celebrity in the modern sense, in particular in regard to the mugs, vases and portraits of him that existed in popular culture at the time.

Amongst other accomplishments, his influence as a military leader had a dramatic effect on the outcome of the Napoleonic wars, he was injured in the line of duty, is considered one of the handful of greatest military men in British history, and still had time for the sort of affair with Lady Hamilton that is de rigeur for a celebrity.

Jade Goody entered a competition where lack of personal merit is almost part of the point.

What makes a celebrity?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

A thick neck,a firm belief that you are better than anyone else,an inate abhorrence of paying for anything yourself,a belief that your opinion is more valuable than anybody elses,a belief that taxes and charges are for "the little people",a total disregard for environment/global warming/manners/propriety and good taste/a penchant for spending money as long as its not yours,for advising other people how to behave and ignoring it yourself......anything else youl'l have to ask Bono

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Rawr!

I think that there are very few celebrities out there.... Sure there are lots and lots of famous people but not many who are real celebrities.

Of course this is just MY opinion lol.... but I wrote in another thread who these people are.... The thread about who you think REAL celebrities are...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Talliesin wrote:
    What makes a celebrity?

Some years ago, a prerequisite was talent. Now sadly getting one's Bristols out or appearing on a show like Big Brother:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Rawr!

Miss Fluff wrote:
    Some years ago, a prerequisite was talent. Now sadly getting one's Bristols out or appearing on a show like Big Brother:eek:

Unfortunately this has come to be..... more and more people are becoming famous for absolutely diddly squat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Chillwithcian

Money, good connections

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭purplegeko

You need to be dating someone with talent or have the ability to be famous for being famous also You need to be able to get the paparazzi excited and into a frenzy.

there are some people who just have a quality or presence about them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭CherieAmour

Despite my disbelief at what people class as a celebrity nowadays, it appears that folk are happy to vote for them in reality shows, buy magazines with their faces plastered across the front, buy their books etc etc etc.

My question is, who is to blame? Are television shows / magazines / newspapers giving the people what they want OR are people settling for these celeb types because that's all that is available to them???

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Very little it seems nowadays.

I think being a celebrity in America and being a celebrity in Britain are 2 completely different things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Talliesin wrote:
    What makes a celebrity?

simply...big tits
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Despite my disbelief at what people class as a celebrity nowadays, it appears that folk are happy to vote for them in reality shows, buy magazines with their faces plastered across the front, buy their books etc etc etc.

My question is, who is to blame? Are television shows / magazines / newspapers giving the people what they want OR are people settling for these celeb types because that's all that is available to them???
    People shouldn't need to worship celebrities and they wouldn't if the media did not promote them the way they do.

In the same way propoganda was used in the past to brainwash people into accepting oppressive regimes and worshipping dictators, the media now uses such expoitation to make money by deifying certain people.

Advertisement