Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomatoes are evil....... yes or no?

• 08-03-2007 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭

In my opinion, tomatoes are evil. I actually have a wierd phobia about them. I can't have them anywhere near my food and if anything on my plate has touched a tomato I can't eat it. I can't even watch people eating raw tomatoes. My mum and bf both tell me to look away so I don't get grossed out too much.

I don't mind tomato sauce, or ketcup or tomatoes cooked in things it's just raw tomatoes that freak me out. They're all red and evil looking and their little creepy seeds get everywhere and taint everything with their tomatoness.

Does anyone else agree or am I on my own?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

while they dont freak me out to that extent. im not so much the fan of the raw tomatoe.

now boiled to a pulp to make bolagnaise or pizza sauce or random other tomatoe sauce, they are a gift from the gods

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭brown*eyed*girl

watna, I think you def have a phobia to them. I've heard of people who have a phobia to beans and other foods. Its strange alright but you could be worse!

Personally I love tomatoes, raw or cooked. I eat a lot of them and often snack on a punnet of cherry tomatoes so have to say tomatoes are not evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭mickith

tomatoes are brill.
    I eat a lot of them and often snack on a punnet of cherry tomatoes so have to say tomatoes are not evil.

think i will also do this instead of eatin crap

this will prob give you nightmares so :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36NgK-vJc1M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Oh my good god, why did I look at that!!!!

I will now not be able to eat my lunch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I love tomatoes. I like eating them like an apple with a bit of salt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Petes... that is my idea of hell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

petes wrote:
    I love tomatoes. I like eating them like an apple with a bit of salt.

u eat apple with salt? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

ew i hate the things!

they burn my tongue when i eat them raw for some reason, in a sauce they're ok i guess!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I love tomatoes. They're full of life-giving anti-oxidants!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Yeah....Tomatoes FTW!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

did you see that film "attack of the killer tomatoes"?

i love them, esp little plum tomatoes, way better than cherry ones and they're a superfood!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Maybe your problem is because the small, hard, tasteless, acidic, pale greeny-red fruits you find in the shops here bear so little resemblance to actual tomatoes.

Eat a soft, almost-sweet french or italian summer tomato dripping with juice and you will never look at them the same way again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

I'm with you, Watna- I hate the things. I can't eat my dinner if there's tomato on the plate and, even once it's been removed, can't eat anything that was touching it.

I'm the same with coleslaw.

Even thinking of either of them makes me queasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

God, I hate them. they are fu*king stink. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

Irish tomatoes are manky

Italian tomatoes ftw!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I love baby tomatoes. I used to never eat them, but have grown fond of them in wraps and rolls. Big beef tomatoes are good too.

I HATE them cooked or fried or hot. Eugh!

Hate Ketchup. Disgusts me. But I like tomato pasta sauce and baked bean sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

Tomatoes are foul, horrible, disgusting things.
    Tomato puree or tomato ketchup or anything like that is fine as long there's no lumps in it but tomatoes themselves, whether whole, chopped, juiced, cooked or raw are just gross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I can kind of understand this, because as a kid I had a really strong aversion to certain tomato-based products. I didn't mind tomatoes themselves, or even tomato juice, but ketchup, tomato soup, and pasta sauces made my skin crawl for some reason.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Not mad about normal vine tomatoes, but I love cherry tomatoes, they're gorgeous.. So sweet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Tomatoes are fantastic in all forms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

mmm I eat tomatoes pretty much every day - they rock! Though as a kid I didn't like them. I agree with Petes - tomatoes eaten with a bit of salt = fantastic.
    I used to know someone who was allergic to raw tomatoes though.. or hated them enough to pretend he was. Poor guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

No!!! They are most definately not evil, what a silly question.
    Tomatoes are lovely. That said, as a kid I hated them. One girl in my class used to eat them like you'd eat an apple. I thought that was pretty strange...but now I don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

I think that's normal, it depends on your taste. Honestly I usually find some acid tomato here in ireland (so I need to add sugar to my sauce), but the cherry tomato should be good. You should try some organic cherry tomatoes (sold at farmers' market on saturday/sunday), they are really good. By the way, it depends on your taste =)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

In my opinion, tomatoes are evil. I actually have a wierd phobia about them. I can't have them anywhere near my food and if anything on my plate has touched a tomato I can't eat it. I can't even watch people eating raw tomatoes. My mum and bf both tell me to look away so I don't get grossed out too much.

I don't mind tomato sauce, or ketcup or tomatoes cooked in things it's just raw tomatoes that freak me out. They're all red and evil looking and their little creepy seeds get everywhere and taint everything with their tomatoness.

Does anyone else agree or am I on my own?

Agree 100%!! I'm always telling people that Tomatoes are the root of all Evil, The Devils seed etc.. I do find it strange though, I love most Tomato based products but just not the Tomatoes themselves, I like to think of it that I like dead tomatoes its the only way it makes sense

http://www.tomatoesareevil.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Tomatoes rule the world, absolutely yum, eat them every day. Lovely with a little bit of sea salt and black pepper or grilled. YUM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I hate tomatoes too. Won't eat them.
    Don't really mind ketchup though either.
    Weird

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Advertisement