Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a rifle

Options
  • 08-03-2007 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

I have a .22 air rifle and a .223 but I have found lately a need for a lower range rifle, so possibly a .22lr.

The rifle will be used for smaller vermin out to 100 yards (outside air rifle range and the .223 is too powerful for this)

My preference would be bolt action and factory threaded for a moderator/silencer/supressor.

So what rifle and supressor would you recommend

EDIT: 3000th post wh00t

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Congrats :D

Fireworks-01-june.gifFireworks-03-june.gifFireworks-02-june.gif

As for a .22 rifle. Cannt go far wrong with a CZ Silhouette

main007.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

That's one of the first on my list.

Can it be gotten factory threaded for a supressor? I'd rather not have to go and get it done after I have bought the rifle

Vegeta wrote:
    That's one of the first on my list.

Can it be gotten factory threaded for a supressor? I'd rather not have to go and get it done after I have bought the rifle

off the top of my head im not sure but i was in Ardee's show room recently and I did see a couple of threaded CZ .22lr's.

Rew wrote:
    off the top of my head im not sure but i was in Ardee's show room recently and I did see a couple of threaded CZ .22lr's.

Cool I'll poke my nose around and see what I can get.

Price wise what would you say is decent. On the cz-usa site it says $409 so realisticly am I looking at 400 euro

Vegeta wrote:
    Cool I'll poke my nose around and see what I can get.

Price wise what would you say is decent. On the cz-usa site it says $409 so realisticly am I looking at 400 euro

From memmory thats about right, there a very popular rifle you could probaly pick up a decent 2nd hand one.

Iv always found the sales guys in Ardee helpfull when it comes to checking details on things they wholesale, show room is well worth a visit as well but needs to be aranged through a dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

A new threaded CZ American or Lux shouldn't set you back more than 380-390,no harm in ringing around to get prices, if you're stuck for dealers numbers nip into local newsagents and get an irish shooting mag, they advertise pretty well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Most CZs now come factory threaded here. Certainly all I've seen recently do.

The Lux has iron sights so you'll need high rings. Its comb is dropped too (for the iron sights) so it isn't the best for scoping IMO.

American, sporter weight barrell, Varmint, heavy barrell. Both with wood stocks.

I'd certainly recommend a CZ though....great rifle & fantastic value.

The big advantage of the .22lr is totally quite when supressed with subsonics, just click/thud :D . If you can live with a little noise, the .17HMR (again, rimfire) is a fantastic round. I've both .22lr & HMR CZs & find the HMR great craic. Great for bunnies to (& well beyond!) 150yrds :) .

New 452s in .22lr & HMR are approx €400, new.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

As I've posted in another thread I'm trying to get the Silhouette as well but with the 16" barrel.
    I held the full length Style and really liked the stock - it's much better than it looks - I though from the pics that it looked too slender and would be a bit awkward to grip - especially the fore end - but that's not the case.
    The cheaque piece is perfect as well - would make looking through scopes with a larger objective lens much more comfortable tha the American IMO.

From ringing around people can't seem to understand why anyone would want a 16" barrel - but why not for a .22lr - with the quality CZ barrels it won't affect accuracy or power - and with a moderator attached you have a much more manageable rifle in trees and cover.

I think that with all the CZ rimmys they come factory threaded unless you specify otherwise - that's for the UK market anyway.

Thanks for all the replies lads

Am really looking forward to getting this.

How hard are the permits for supressors to get?

I think if you can either get you club to write you a letter saying they perfer there use on the range so as not to disturbe orther shooters or letters from famers asking that you use one so as not to disturbe their livestock it can make it easier. Its a bit like getting a gun in the first place depends on your super.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

i picked up a voere recently and think its a good one and its the model mauser still make

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭marlin

hi vegeta
    I,ve also got a .223 and wanted something for bunnies,rats and just plinking with,I got a cz 452 scout (it,s tiny) 15 in barrel and with a parker hale mod fitted just 21 in. total length 39 ins with mod.I use lapua subsonic hp ammo and ig groups well under 1in at 50 yds.trigger is a bit heavy (4.5 lbs)but a guy in usa called eric brooks sells a kit to fix that and I,ll be fitting it soon.
    for head shooting rabbits up to 75-80 yds it,s great .I had an anschtuz 1450 .22lr for about 20 yrs and loved it but shot hv ammo and had no mods then.
    another bonus for the little cz is my daughters 10 and 12 can handle it and are learning to shoot
    good luck with the new rifle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Marlin have a look at your trigger first there is a spring at the back you can loosen to reduce pull

maglite wrote:
    Marlin have a look at your trigger first there is a spring at the back you can loosen to reduce pull

Yeah I read on the website it was adjustable and started wondering about it

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/3518/dscf5328dw5.jpg

losten that screw towords the trigger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

its not that adjustable something from about 3lb to 4lb

Brooks kit is the best way to fix it just add a tube between the reciever and the sear to adjust sear engagement and eliminate the creep and fit a spring of your preferance behind the trigger for you favourable pull weight

I've mine set with no creep and a pull of about 2lbs

DSC00534Medium.jpg
    DSC00535Medium.jpg
    DSC00536Medium.jpg
    DSC00537Medium.jpg

Where did you order the Brooks kit.

Also was looking at the ol' interweb there and couldn't help but notice the vast array of different stocks and barrels available for the ruger 10/22 does anyone know if you can get similar stocks for the CZ rifles.

No theres not a huge amount of drop in stocks availble

Brooks kit avaiable from cz452.com or rimfiremagic.co.uk id go with the lather even if it works out at a bit more as eric gets large volumes of business and is not set up for it and could take a while for the stuff to come RFM will ship it out straight away.

Wilddog do stocks for the CZ 452 but they are pricey but if you can justify it they make one of the best stocks around very solid.

Richards in the US do a semi inletted stock ie it needs a bit of sanding and has to be finished but not a huge amount of work.

I would tend to stay away from the 10/22's unless your serious about it because unless your either lucky or are prepared to put money and time into it you wont get half the rifle an out of the box CZ is.

If you can find a CZ 511 they are excellent semi as are any of the anschutz semi's.

If it was me i'd buy the sillouhette and paint it with a good quaility dark olive paint

not realy
    some but there fierce expensive

I'd love a laminated thumbhole stock and the brooks trigger

on RFM do you have to ring them to make an order as I didn't see the option to buy online

I have decided to get a silhouette if it can be gotten factory threaded. Will get moderator and trigger kit. Have a scope for it already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭marlin

thanks for the pics
    got my kit today from eric brooks and will be fitting it over the weekend;a 2 lb trigger with no creep sounds just about right

Just the job for hunting ;)

Rimfire Magic charge crazy prices for everything - they make no sense at all :eek:
    If you knew anyone coming back from Austrailia they'd bring back the wilddog stocks for a fraction of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

marlin wrote:
    thanks for the pics
    got my kit today from eric brooks and will be fitting it over the weekend;a 2 lb trigger with no creep sounds just about right

Be carefull, I put it on the lighest kit and it fired itself! Use the medium and it's excellent.

Yeah rimfiremagic prices were crazy it would be cheaper to get it off wilddog USA.

But for the brooks kit eric isnt the most efficent person so for slightly more its prob a better option for some.

For the kit itself i fitted the largest spring and you have to play around with the tubes a bit to find one that works i tried the red being the biggest but it didnt leave any sear engagement at all whereas on my first rifle it gave a perfect release just start with the biggest and work your way up to the best safest pull.

And check the rifle is safe after installing the kit ie bump test knock test putting the safety on pulling trigger then taking it off again and slamming the bolt foward.

do you ring the rimfire crowd to make orders??? I didn't see a buy online option

I've ordered off Brooks direct to get ready for the Siloutte if I ever get it!

I see on his site that the kit now comes with 4 springs & 4 tubes - the last time I ordered ages ago there was only 2 tubes and 4 springs.

Make sure you're getting the new kit off whoever else you buy it off.

well I am now the proud owner of a CZ 452 Lux. Nice little rifle.

So I am definitely after that trigger kit now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Vegeta wrote:

Congrats man :) . Did you buy new/locally or pick one up 2nd hand?
    Great iron sights on the Lux but I, unfortunately, never really got used to using them.

[just noticed my post count................el diablo :)]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Vegeta wrote:

Congrats. I have not got the trigger kit yet for my own
    as a mate who got one and only used one of the springs
    siad I could use one of the other springs that came with it.

On the .22 I have been firing the 2nd lightest spring is installed on it.
    And the trigger is lovely and light. It took a lot of getting used to and I squeezed off a few before I even realized I had put enough pressure on the trigger.

The owner never installed any of the Tubes so I dont know what difference
    they would of made but it shoots just fine as is.

Dunno yet if I will attempt to do some of that glass bedding thing of the
    stock/reciever area. Will see once I get more familiar with things.

~B

Advertisement