Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Inman dies, 71

• 08-03-2007 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6429425.stm
    Actor John Inman, most famous for the comedy Are You Being Served?, has died in London aged 71, his spokesman said.

Inman made his name in the 1970s show as Mr Humphries, whose catchphrase "I'm free!" entered popular culture.

In recent years he was a pantomime regular, most often taking the role of the dame. He also made appearances in BBC comedy show Revolver in 2004.

The Preston-born actor died in hospital and had been suffering from a Hepatitis A infection for some time.

The infection, usually caused by eating contaminated food, forced him to cancel the opening of a pantomime in London in December 2004.

It was initially hoped he would be able to return to the production of Dick Whittington, in which he was due to play Wanda the Cook, but he never worked again.

His manager Phil Dale said: "John was known and loved throughout the world. He was one of the best and finest pantomime dames working to capacity audiences throughout Britain.

"John was known for his comedy plays and farces which were enjoyed from London's West End throughout the country and as far as Australia, Canada and the USA."

Inman's Are You Being Served? co-star Wendy Richard told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "John was one of the wittiest and most inventive actors I've ever worked with.

"He was a brilliant, brilliant pantomime dame and he was a very good all-round actor, really. He was a true professional."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Rip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

ah thats terrible sad,
    did you ever see the interview with the american redneck who loved watching him on Are you being served? even though he was a serious homophobe, was on louis theroux i think.
    he was a funny man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Great actor, played his part on "Are you being served?" brilliantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Indeed, Mr. Humphries was one of my favourite characters on TV when small. Its only when I grew up and watched repeats I got all the risqué jokes!

He entertained millions around the world. Rest in Peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

DMC wrote:
    He entertained millions around the world.

Now now!

• Advertisement
Advertisement